PDA

View Full Version : Do I need more therapy? Or what?

.Poppy.
13-01-17, 21:40
So.

Ever since I began taking medication for my anxiety and depression I have had my ups and downs. I've done some therapy with two different therapists, but am not doing so presently. The past few months have been pretty good - even though they have been stressful I have been able to keep my head up and push on for the most part. I credited the meds with this - they literally kept me upright.

Now I'm in the midst of beginning a new job, figuring out that new job, hardcore budgeting until I get paid, and hunting for apartments (I won't move until the summer). I know I'm stressed. I know this.

But I am getting majorly run down and I feel like I just cannot cope. Seriously. My breaking point has actually been physical in nature - I've been a bit bloated due to stress (sorry if that's TMI) so I'm convincing myself that I am going to gain a massive amount of weight and be fat. The past couple of days I've broken out slightly too, a couple on my forehead, two around my mouth that are small but noticeable, and a few that I can't see but can just feel the little bumps there, also around my mouth (check over old posts if you want to read all about my skin and my self esteem :(). I also will be undergoing scar treatments in a couple of months but am afraid they won't do anything or will make the problem worse or I'll be so broken out by that time they won't even try.

I keep telling myself that I've had these "scares" before, that I've had mini little breakouts and they've amounted to nothing but I can't believe myself and I hate myself for that.

I feel like the meds are, again, literally keeping me upright and getting me into work instead of keeping me in bed all the time, but geez. Do I need to go back to therapy or do something differently? I know that there will be ups and downs, there always have been, but maybe I don't know how to cope very well with the downs? I'm just so, so tired and I know I posted a thread in another section not too long before this one which I hate.

Fishmanpa
13-01-17, 22:08
I think, if you feel the need, then go. Let me share something pretty cool in relation to this.

I found out some very interesting things about my Mom last week after her passing. I knew my Mom was in therapy for a long time but I had no idea how long and how intensive it was. She had mental health issues that were very involved and I won't get into it here but her therapist (who I went to see in my late teens/early 20's) came to visit and talk about my Mom.

When I went to see him, it was so he could explain what was going on with my Mom. I always thought she was a bit quirky but when you're living with it, you don't see it as that unusual as it's "just the way Mom was". So when he explained to me what was happening it was an "ah ha" moment. It was like "So THAT's why she's doing that or saying that" etc. For example, my Mom had severe anxiety/phobia on elevators. God forbid one got stuck... meltdown time. It was because of an event in her childhood when she was in the hospital and on a gurney. They were taking her to surgery to remove her appendix (she must have been 10 or so) and the elevator doors closed on the gurney and freaked her out.

Anyway... long story short. She saw this therapist off and on (mostly on) for close to 30 years! He said he learned more about the human mind and how it works and copes from her than he did from any other patient or textbook and due to the specific nature of my mother's illness, he became one of the foremost authorities on that specific condition.

So again... if you feel the need to, by all means go. I've gone to therapy several times in my life, most recently after my cancer treatment. There's no shame in it and in fact, it was extremely beneficial as each time I've gone, I not only refresh my mental coping skills but I learn something new about myself.

Positive thoughts

Jacqueline7
13-01-17, 22:14
Poppy I think when we have times when we cope well and then begin to sink again it affects us even worse. B Ecause we have seen peace. Because our nervous systems have calmed down and we are dealing with life's ups and downs with relative ease.

If u feel u r starting to go into a blip then begin to arm yourself up. U have the tools to get thru this. No matter how tough. Take plenty of vitamin c for your health and know that no matter how bad it gets it will pass

I'm telling myself this too. That one day the old calm me will return if I can just ease myself out of this dark overwhelming time.

Good luck

Jacqueline

.Poppy.
15-01-17, 17:00
So again... if you feel the need to, by all means go. I've gone to therapy several times in my life, most recently after my cancer treatment. There's no shame in it and in fact, it was extremely beneficial as each time I've gone, I not only refresh my mental coping skills but I learn something new about myself.

Positive thoughts

Thank you. Of course you're right - therapy can always be beneficial. I guess I just need to figure out where to go as my last therapist wasn't great. Learning additional coping skills would certainly be helpful.

Poppy I think when we have times when we cope well and then begin to sink again it affects us even worse. B Ecause we have seen peace. Because our nervous systems have calmed down and we are dealing with life's ups and downs with relative ease.

If u feel u r starting to go into a blip then begin to arm yourself up. U have the tools to get thru this. No matter how tough. Take plenty of vitamin c for your health and know that no matter how bad it gets it will pass

I'm telling myself this too. That one day the old calm me will return if I can just ease myself out of this dark overwhelming time.

Good luck

Jacqueline

I agree so much with you. I have to keep telling myself that it will get better and that this funk won't last forever. I'm already starting to feel better, honestly.

pulisa
15-01-17, 17:47
I think you should have confidence in your own powers to get through this rough patch, Poppy, rather than turn to a therapist. You have a very mature outlook on life and are certainly not relying on your meds to help you cope. I think you are stronger and more capable than you think you are.