PDA

View Full Version : Separating Claim - Moving out - DLA/UNI-CRED QUESTION

jon24
14-01-17, 06:12
Hi,

I am writing for some advice regarding my partner and I. We have a joint tenancy of 15 years. It is on the 4th floor. We have been trying to get my partner rehoused for the last 12 months in suitable accommodation at ground floor.

Poor mobility and health problems means she has difficulty accessing outdoors and a lot of hospital visits this last year has added complications for ambulance crews etc. We wish to separate our claims so she move into something more appropriate as a single person and access Disability adaptations grant as well as hospital bed she has been cleared for. We are separating as a couple.

I am closer to obtaining a place for her and it was recommended that I avoid Universal credits for her and keep her on DLA. She receives High component for care and Low component for mobility (DLA). I am her carer and claim carers benefit. We claim Income support. The question I am seeking help with is:

"How do I move my partner (unmarried/cohabiting) from a joint tenancy and separate our housing benefit claim - at the same time ensuring that she TRANSFERS her housing benefit benefit claim to the new place and NOT to have to make a new claim."

I wish to ensure that her DLA claim remains intact and she does NOT have to make new claim for Universal Credit, ESA or PIP.

Would I have to move out with her to the new property and then leave OR would she be able to go to the new property by her self? Should I move out first?

What would be the best way to go about it to ensure her benefits are not interfered with?"

Thanks for any advice, help.

KeeKee
14-01-17, 08:52
When my partner moved out of our house last year, I had to reclaim everything. Even Child Tax Credits that I'd been getting for years. I switched from ESA to JSA a month or so ago and even had to make a new claim for Housing Benefit then
They are so awkward.

Catherine S
14-01-17, 10:48
I agree with Keekee, I think she will have to claim for everything afresh, as a single person. You will also have to let them know about your change in circumstances too. Not sure how it works with carers allowence payments if you're not under the same roof. There is lots of information online though, and any Age Concern or Citizens Advice centre would have the leaflets or information.

ISB