PDA

View Full Version : Schizophrenia???

Gerardooooo
14-01-17, 09:07
I don't know what to do anymore I think I'm truly sick with Schizophrenia, I keep having the same re occurring thoughts and occasionally I have different ones. I don't know if this is because I read so much stories and symptoms or if its because I have schizophrenia. I don't believe any of the thoughts that I have but they are really unsettling.

SLA
14-01-17, 09:21
I can see from your previous posts that you have worried about schizophrenia for a while.

I was in your exact situation in 2008. You are not schizophrenic, you are just having persistent Intrusive Thoughts. They are very common. In fact, everyone has them from time to time, but we all react to them differently.

You have panicked and see them as this separate entity, which has made you panic even more that you are schizophrenic.

But you are not, trust me.

Check out my article on intrusive thoughts, and see if you can relate.
http://www.startinglifeagain.com/2016/09/3-steps-to-beating-intrusivenegative-thoughts/

Gerardooooo
14-01-17, 09:27
[QUOTE=SLA;1634640]I can see from your previous posts that you have worried about schizophrenia for a while.

I was in your exact situation in 2008. You are not schizophrenic, you are just having persistent Intrusive Thoughts. They are very common. In fact, everyone has them from time to time, but we all react to them differently.

You have panicked and see them as this separate entity, which has made you panic even more that you are schizophrenic.

But you are not, trust me.

I just don't know anymore man. I have so many unsettling thoughts related to the things Ive read and then others that just appear out of no where that are related to schizophrenia, I never had these thoughts before until I got a panic attack over something I read. I feel like I get worse everyday or sometimes ill feel like the moment has come and I'm gonna snap and go crazy or that Ive already gone crazy this isn't normal I don't like it.

SLA
14-01-17, 09:31
Unless you change the way you think, then you will stay on this path.

So the onus is on you to work out where you are going wrong. Because that is ultimately the problem. Your thinking is broken, and youve lost touch with reality.

I say this from experience. I got very depressed, and felt like suicide was the only way out. Then I found help, and realised where I was going wrong.

8 years later, and I am happy, and living a pretty decent life.

It all starts with you.

Twirlywoo
14-01-17, 09:35

So the onus is on you to work out where you are going wrong. Because that is ultimately the problem. Your thinking is broken, and youve lost touch with reality.

I say this from experience. I got very depressed, and felt like suicide was the only way out. Then I found help, and realised where I was going wrong.

It all starts with you.

I couldn't of said it better myself.
I have started my help path, and yes it's going to take a lot of change and to break a habit of a long time but the good thing is the help is there and with guidance we can break this horrible habit.

Your thoughts are not you.
I feel a coward for telling you all this because yesterday I had a bloody awful night and was in a right state before I went to sleep but I know deep down and I can identify that it was all anxiety and today I'm feeling that little bit more positive again.

Gerardooooo
14-01-17, 09:39

It all starts with you.

well it's interesting because when I actually think the thoughts that scare me they have no effect they don't cause me any panic or fear at all but when the thoughts occur randomly is when they are very distressing. I know that all of my thoughts are irrational. But I just can't stop thinking them and I'm not quite sure why.

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 ----------

I couldn't of said it better myself.
I have started my help path, and yes it's going to take a lot of change and to break a habit of a long time but the good thing is the help is there and with guidance we can break this horrible habit.

Your thoughts are not you.
I feel a coward for telling you all this because yesterday I had a bloody awful night and was in a right state before I went to sleep but I know deep down and I can identify that it was all anxiety and today I'm feeling that little bit more positive again.

Yeah Ive been reading a lot of your posts you for the most part remind me of myself. I know I can identify everything I experience as being irrational and just being caused by my anxiety or OCD

SLA
14-01-17, 09:39
The goal isn't to stop these thoughts, because the more you try and fight them the more they occur.

When you react to the thoughts and panic your brain perceives them as a threat. So they happen more often. And when you try NOT to have a thought, you have them.

Read the article I posted. It explains intrusive thoughts and how to deal with them in 3 steps.

Twirlywoo
14-01-17, 09:43
well it's interesting because when I actually think the thoughts that scare me they have no effect they don't cause me any panic or fear at all but when the thoughts occur randomly is when they are very distressing. I know that all of my thoughts are irrational. But I just can't stop thinking them and I'm not quite sure why.

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 ----------

Yeah Ive been reading a lot of your posts you for the most part remind me of myself. I know I can identify everything I experience as being irrational and just being caused by my anxiety or OCD

The ones that get me are the ones that spring out of no where aswell, that's all part of it. I can ignore and recognises a lot of my thoughts as being anxiety and quickly they pass but like yourself the ones that do catch me are the odd ones, the ones that aren't so scary. I think it's because I see the horrible nasty intrusive thoughts for what they are that the silly ones like vines wrapped around a Greek pillow make me think WTF!!!

Gerardooooo
14-01-17, 09:48
The goal isn't to stop these thoughts, because the more you try and fight them the more they occur.

When you react to the thoughts and panic your brain perceives them as a threat. So they happen more often. And when you try NOT to have a thought, you have them.

Read the article I posted. It explains intrusive thoughts and how to deal with them in 3 steps.

Ive read the article before, I do find it very useful. I appreciate all of the information and tips I'll have to try it.

---------- Post added at 01:48 ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 ----------

The ones that get me are the ones that spring out of no where aswell, that's all part of it. I can ignore and recognises a lot of my thoughts as being anxiety and quickly they pass but like yourself the ones that do catch me are the odd ones, the ones that aren't so scary. I think it's because I see the horrible nasty intrusive thoughts for what they are that the silly ones like vines wrapped around a Greek pillow make me think WTF!!!

its weird for me because one minute I'll be like " this is schizophrenia there's no way it isn't" then later on I'll be like " its just OCD and anxiety that I created from reading too much bullshit" now I have to stay away from the media because reading anything about violence or crazy people makes me feel what I hope is anxiety.

Twirlywoo
14-01-17, 09:52
Ive read the article before, I do find it very useful. I appreciate all of the information and tips I'll have to try it.

---------- Post added at 01:48 ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 ----------

its weird for me because one minute I'll be like " this is schizophrenia there's no way it isn't" then later on I'll be like " its just OCD and anxiety that I created from reading too much bullshit" now I have to stay away from the media because reading anything about violence or crazy people makes me feel what I hope is anxiety.

It is 100% anxiety and fear that you created from reading to much bullshit.
Your right if the media makes you feel anxiety then stay away for a while just give yourself that little break. I know myself that reading horrible news can cause me to feel that sense of anxiety too. I try not to watch any news as our news here is always about bad things. Have you tried any mindfulness? I've gotten a app called headspace. It's actually really good and you get a free 10 day trial. Maybe have a look

SLA
14-01-17, 09:53
What you focus on dictates your mood. So if you focus on violence and crazy people, then that will make you highly anxious, because you don't want to be like that.

When you get anxious your thoughts will naturally start to worry about threats.

I'll leave it at that. Best of luck.

Gerardooooo
14-01-17, 09:59
It is 100% anxiety and fear that you created from reading to much bullshit.
Your right if the media makes you feel anxiety then stay away for a while just give yourself that little break. I know myself that reading horrible news can cause me to feel that sense of anxiety too. I try not to watch any news as our news here is always about bad things. Have you tried any mindfulness? I've gotten a app called headspace. It's actually really good and you get a free 10 day trial. Maybe have a look

I just went on the App Store and looked for it and wow it has really good reviews, I'll give it a try a lot of people seem to have gotten success with it. I hate the media that's what started this intense fear to begin with. Even movie ads freak me out. Many times Ive had to stop watching YouTube videos because of the scary ads that they play something that I really liked doing.

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 ----------

What you focus on dictates your mood. So if you focus on violence and crazy people, then that will make you highly anxious, because you don't want to be like that.

When you get anxious your thoughts will naturally start to worry about threats.

I'll leave it at that. Best of luck.

Thanks so much sir, I hope I get better soon because I'm tired of this.

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-17, 10:02
The media is just a trigger. The media only report the worst cases of schizophrenia, the minority of violent acts by paranoid schizophrenics. They are only one type and according to the experts it tends to be drink or drugs that sparks those events anyway.

What we see in the media in no way reflects the vast majority schizophrenics. And then we have the soaps & dramas who only ever portray it as paranoid & violent.

So, when you see something in the media it acts as the trigger and anxiety or panic results. Just like how you react to your intrusive thoughts.

Whilst you may need to avoid the media right now eventually that will be something to face or it will remain a fear since this is avoidance but when things are really bad it is sometimes needed so you aren't at fever pitch with your anxiety all the time.

The media used to trigger me. Social changes, war, politics, etc. None of it bothers now. You'll get there too. And it sounds like you are making progress as you are responding with a "who cares" to some of your thoughts. I've beaten my intrusive thoughts twice now over a few years and that's exactly how I respond with a "meh". You can't get rid of them as all human beings can experience them but you absolutely can react with no interest to them.

Mindfulness was a big help to me.

Twirlywoo
14-01-17, 10:05
[QUOTE=Gerardooooo;1634671]I just went on the App Store and looked for it and wow it has really good reviews, I'll give it a try a lot of people seem to have gotten success with it. I hate the media that's what started this intense fear to begin with. Even movie ads freak me out. Many times Ive had to stop watching YouTube videos because of the scary ads that they play something that I really liked doing.[COLOR="blue"]

Yes it's a very good app and his voice is very soothing. It has given me some comfort and I have gotten the package now and have started the anxiety 30day course.
The media is always full of junk and shit! I get the movie ad's too I can't watch anything that has the scary music to start it 😂 Oh my how I wish I could change this because it limits so much of my life now, but I know we will get past this.

As for the media causing your fear, mine was first hand experience with a schizophrenia person!! Get that ay 😩

Gerardooooo
14-01-17, 10:14
The media is just a trigger. The media only report the worst cases of schizophrenia, the minority of violent acts by paranoid schizophrenics. They are only one type and according to the experts it tends to be drink or drugs that sparks those events anyway.

What we see in the media in no way reflects the vast majority schizophrenics. And then we have the soaps & dramas who only ever portray it as paranoid & violent.

So, when you see something in the media it acts as the trigger and anxiety or panic results. Just like how you react to your intrusive thoughts.

Whilst you may need to avoid the media right now eventually that will be something to face or it will remain a fear since this is avoidance but when things are really bad it is sometimes needed so you aren't at fever pitch with your anxiety all the time.

The media used to trigger me. Social changes, war, politics, etc. None of it bothers now. You'll get there too. And it sounds like you are making progress as you are responding with a "who cares" to some of your thoughts. I've beaten my intrusive thoughts twice now over a few years and that's exactly how I respond with a "meh". You can't get rid of them as all human beings can experience them but you absolutely can react with no interest to them.

Mindfulness was a big help to me.

Well I don't really feel like I'm progressing if anything I feel like I'm becoming worse and worse everyday unfortunately. I do respond with a who cares when I voluntarily have the thoughts but when they occur by themselves and they're the same thoughts they make me panic.

---------- Post added at 02:14 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

[QUOTE=Gerardooooo;1634671]I just went on the App Store and looked for it and wow it has really good reviews, I'll give it a try a lot of people seem to have gotten success with it. I hate the media that's what started this intense fear to begin with. Even movie ads freak me out. Many times Ive had to stop watching YouTube videos because of the scary ads that they play something that I really liked doing.[COLOR="blue"]

Yes it's a very good app and his voice is very soothing. It has given me some comfort and I have gotten the package now and have started the anxiety 30day course.
The media is always full of junk and shit! I get the movie ad's too I can't watch anything that has the scary music to start it 😂 Oh my how I wish I could change this because it limits so much of my life now, but I know we will get past this.

As for the media causing your fear, mine was first hand experience with a schizophrenia person!! Get that ay 😩

Me neither never could as a kid scary movies have always freaked me out, of course when I was a teenager I wanted to change my scaredness and I tried watching scary movies which actually worked for a while until my anxiety started up when I turned 16.