PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about stomach

Scared2death21
14-01-17, 15:10
I have symptoms of gerd that pretty much affect me on my right side that include

frequent liquid feeling coming up throat
frequent hunger pain feeling exclusively on right side right under ribs. Goes up into chest and back as well. It is usually worse on an empty stomach
frequnt gas thats burped up when I change my posture
right side pretty much always feels like "something" is in there right below ribs
mucous in throat which feels like its mainly on the right side
right nostril is almost always more congested than left

This, along with all the other symptoms I have mainly being on my right side is really sending me into a bad cycle. What really gets me is that my doctor prescribed me nexium 40mg which I took once a day which really didn't help. I went back about a week and a half ago and when I told her it wasn't really helping, she suggested doubling the dosage but that hasn't really helped either. She said she felt I may have an ulcer but my h pylori test came back negative. Being that the nexium so far has been basically ineffective, I'm starting to convince myself that it is something much worse :unsure:

Elen
14-01-17, 15:21
Diet can play a huge part in controlling stomach issues rather than relying on the Nexium alone.

Avoiding greasy and spicy food can make all the difference.

Scared2death21
14-01-17, 18:57
The thing that bothers me the most is how basically all of these symptoms are constant even if I haven't eaten much. Does that sound like Gerd?

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

The one thing I can definitely attribute to a change in my reflux is carbonated drinks. A Pepsi once made it come all the way into my mouth. That was the only time it had made it all the way up. Then again it could be that almost everything I eat these days is a gerd trigger and I'm just always flared up? Does that sound reasonable.

Fishmanpa
14-01-17, 19:18
Sounds like you're in a Catch 22 situation. Not eating just leaves acid in your stomach that aggravates things and your current diet apparently isn't cutting it. Look into the FODMAP diet and start eating regularly, 3-4 times a day and smaller portions.

Positive thoughts

Scared2death21
14-01-17, 20:03
I'm 21 and have been feeling this way for around a year and a half. It's basically impossible for this to be cancer right? Surely by now I'd be feeling like death to the point where it was undeniable?

Fishmanpa
14-01-17, 20:12
Sorry :( I'm not getting into the reassurance cycle. You answered your own questions anyway ;)

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

Scared2death21
14-01-17, 21:17
What is a reassurance cycle? I usually do this type of thing to psych myself out but if it isn't healthy for me I'll stop

Fishmanpa
14-01-17, 21:26
The definition of reassurance:

re·as·sur·ance
noun
the action of removing someone's doubts or fears.
"children need reassurance and praise"
a statement or comment that removes someone's doubts or fears.
plural noun: reassurances
"we have been given reassurances that the water is safe to drink"

The reassurance cycle is the constant seeking of reassurance. In this instance you were given a perfectly logical and reasonable explanation for your symptoms and you basically let it roll off your back and immediately asked another question for reassurance. It's a very common theme on the HA boards.

Reassurance is only a temporary band-aid and never stops the doubt because you're not addressing the real issue which is your anxiety. By learning coping skills through therapy, you can begin to reassure yourself.

Positive thoughts

Clydesdale Epona
14-01-17, 23:46
The FODMAP diet is a life safer and smaller/halved portions will be your best friend trust me, i can handle breakfast really well but i end up having basically two dinners and something light before bed,
3-4 times a day is good(as fishman said) carbonated drinks are huge no no for me they always make it 10x worse, i've replaced mine with herbal tea's which work well (for me anyway), but it's all really a process of finding what you can and can't handle and getting a perfect balance x