PDA

View Full Version : NHS said no

Mojo61
14-01-17, 18:32
Has anyone else been told that they don't meet the "criteria" for a referral to an NHS psychiatrist?

I had a full assessment (took about 2hrs) by the CMHT after I insisted my GP refer me to them because I felt so unwell. At the end of it I was told I don't meet the criteria for referral onto a psychiatrist, and basically that was that and I was discharged from their care.

So unless I can afford to pay privately to see one I guess that's it then?

Jacqueline7
14-01-17, 18:54
That is unforgivable and heart breaking.

If I was u I would contact my local councillor as that is pure neglect.

Just when u think things can't get any worse. Don't give up. Scream for help

Mojo61
14-01-17, 19:31
Thanks Jacqueline.

I just don't think they class anxiety as a mental health issue, especially in a menopausal woman. In the old days women like me would be locked away in a mental asylum never to be released. Things haven't progressed much further in terms of help and treatment to be honest. Mine is not a life, it's an existence...

Clydesdale Epona
14-01-17, 20:46
I'm currently on short term CBT(its a lottery funded charity down here) I've not tried any adult services but I know in my younger years my mum out through a referral to CAMHS because she was terrified of what I was doing to myself(wasn't eating, wouldn't go out, ect) after waiting two months I too got told I didn't met the criteria, so I had to find my own ways to cope(self help, self medication/meditation, horse therapy, and sort of a mentor/buddy that kinda helped me do things) I haven't tried any adult services as I feared I'd just get rejected again, it does really suck but at least everytime I did i got given some kind of fallback help I'm honestly slightly amazed they just left you x

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-17, 23:25
My GP put me off even a referral to a CMHT but said I could pay to see a private psychiatrist and went as far as to tell me who the local one is.

I smelled a rat. It was about meds and my GP is poor with these.

You could contact the PALS service and see what they think should be offered. The NHS often block us because we don't know our rights AKA "trying it on".

Now we have IAPT it can be harder to access CMHT as they are supposed to be there more for more serious conditions but NICE do include these people in their Stepped Care Model for GAD and OCD.

I know in some areas the CMHT even refuse to take anxiety and depression patients citing funding is purely for more complex mental health conditions. It's a disgrace.

pulisa
15-01-17, 08:34
I suspect that even if you were referred to see an NHS psychiatrist the wait would be ridiculous. I think that this is one of the downsides of the attention drawn to mental health issues these days-everyone is coming forward asking for treatment and people with serious/life-affecting anxiety are being lumped in with self-absorbed, bored people who think they have a mental health issue.

Mojo, if you can afford it I would seriously consider seeing a private psychiatrist for a one-off assessment. Then your GP would have to take on board any advice given-this would include prescribed meds if necessary.

Shazamataz
15-01-17, 09:32
It's impossible to get help here as well. I got some therapy earlier in the year but only because they had a student and one of his patients discharged. He didn't know what he was doing and was no help at all. Unfortunately I cannot afford to go private, like many people, so just have to go it alone.

Sorry you are still struggling Mojo

xx

pulisa
15-01-17, 09:43
I think a lot of people just go it alone, Mojo. Private fees can be prohibitive and exorbitant for what help and benefit you actually receive xx

Elen
15-01-17, 10:00
I got referred to the NHS psychiatry services but sadly it was pretty useless.

Each appointment lasted 10 mins and I saw a different person each time and all they did was dish out meds.

I was refused therapy, not sure if it was down to funding or if they simply saw me as a lost cause.

I definitely felt that the mental health services in my area were more a matter of ticking boxes. Does she presents a risk? Tick, Have we seen her in the past 6 months Tick.

The private route maybe the way to go, its just so hard knowing who you are best approaching as the level of service and care seems to vary so much.

If you are in England try contacting MIND. I know that they have been a huge help to friends of mine and also can put you in touch with local services that are available in your area.

Its so hard but keep fighting if you are able to.

Mojo61
15-01-17, 10:25
Thank you everyone. I'm luckier than most people because I've recently been left a large inheritance so once everything has gone through probate and I can access the money I will be booking an appointment with a private psychiatrist. I feel so sorry for those people unable to do this though, those who have been chucked on the metaphorical scrap heap if you like and left to fend for themselves :(

Clydesdale Epona
15-01-17, 10:29
I'm coping well on my temporary CBT atm and my best plan is to save up some money(my partners helping too) so I can have at least one or two private sessions if I need them before I move away x

Lissa101
15-01-17, 11:45
Thanks Jacqueline.

I just don't think they class anxiety as a mental health issue, especially in a menopausal woman. In the old days women like me would be locked away in a mental asylum never to be released. Things haven't progressed much further in terms of help and treatment to be honest. Mine is not a life, it's an existence...

Yup, my grandmother was locked up and given electric shock therapy against her will back in the 50's for what we would now recognise as an anxiety breakdown. At least we're not subject to that kind of treatment, even if services are ridiculously poor.

You should have a look for subsidised psychiatric help in your area, although I think you have to be in receipt of some benefits to get it. Perhaps contact Mind, they should be able to advise.