PDA

View Full Version : Ending the silence

ana
14-01-17, 20:23
I honestly don't know if anyone will find my post of any interest as I can't imagine how many of you here have been open and honest with people about your condition, and how many of you have, just like me, feared the social stigma, people seeing or treating you differently if you were to tell them you suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. I suppose this is aimed at those who have been hiding and have not told that many people the truth about their condition.

After 16 years of suffering in silence, without ever opening up to any of my relatives (parents excluded) friends, teachers, colleagues, a few months ago, I finally decided to end the silence. Telling a close friend of mine was the single most difficult conversation I had ever had in my entire life. I'm normally chatty and rarely tongue-tied, but I was sweating, shaking, struggling to find the right words to express myself to my friend, to say out loud how nightmarish, awful this decade + has been for me.

However, it was the best thing I'd ever done, telling my friend. She was understanding and supportive, and this encouraged me to open up to more of my friends. So far, 5 people know about my anxiety and I've got nothing but care and support from those people.

To anyone who's in two minds whether or not to tell your friends/family members/partner about what you are going through, I'd say: go for it. You gain nothing from silence, but additional stress as you're having to lie and find excuses as to why you can't do things and go places. If the people you tell can't accept you for it, then they're not worth your time. Be brave and open - you can only benefit from it. :)

SLA
14-01-17, 20:29
AMAZING!!!! :yahoo:

This has made me so happy.

Sometimes just telling someone how tense and anxious you feel just releases the pressure valve.

mark84
14-01-17, 20:35
abc

Lissa101
14-01-17, 20:36
Well done Ana! That must have been really scary for you and I'm so glad you got such a positive response.

My friends/family and work colleagues all know each other so if I tell one person everyone will know. Sadly in my work mental health issues would place me at a huge disadvantage. Plus my mum is elderly and in ill health so I really dont want her to know. I hope in the future I can talk more freely about it.

ana
14-01-17, 20:53
Thank you, everyone for your kind words and replies. It was very scary indeed, and I still feel a little weird thinking about that they now know, and that I don't have to hide my feelings and come up with the excuses for being limited in what I can do. Saying that, I feel liberated!

fishman65
14-01-17, 22:51
That takes a lot of courage Ana, something I know you to have in bucket loads. Well done you!! :hugs:

Donkey's years ago I kept my anxiety/depression a dreadful secret. I initially tried to tell family and friends how I was feeling. Reactions varied from sympathy through bewilderment to irritation. I grew up in a family that didn't talk about feelings, you just got on with it. One family member to this day still hasn't spoken to me about my 'problems', 31 years later!! I overheard another extended family member openly ridiculing panic attacks. I was lodging with them at the time and in no position to take them to task. I felt nothing but shame and this led me down a very dark path from which I almost failed to return.

Having said all that, in stark contrast my wife's total understanding enables me to talk about my anxiety as and when I need to. That makes a huge difference because she makes allowances for how I'm feeling in our day to day life. Ditto my son and daughter. Ending the silence is admirable and the only way to educate others not afflicted by this ghastly condition. And the only way to lift the weight of self imposed exile from our own shoulders. Bravo Ana :)

ana
15-01-17, 08:52
That takes a lot of courage Ana, something I know you to have in bucket loads. Well done you!! :hugs:

Thank you so much. :blush:

Jacqueline7
15-01-17, 12:00
I am a firm believer in people talking. People should not pretend all is well when inside it isn't. And u will be amazed when people begin then to open up to u because u have been so brave.

Well done. It is a relief when u put u hand up and say all is not well today. I need ur patience

Jacqueline

swgrl09
15-01-17, 13:55
That takes a lot of guts and courage. Well done! I have one or two friends who struggle with HA and it means a lot to have people who understand.