PDA

View Full Version : Night attacks!

Petesy
15-01-17, 04:22
Hi all

Recently I've been going to bed rather early and feel anxious in bed body jerks as I'm drifting off horrible feeling..

Now I'm waking through the night by panic attack which is rather frightening on just waking at this hour aswell 3:30am causing insomnia aswell because it's that intense i feel i don't want to back to sleep in fear of it..

Can anyone relate to this?? Seriously i can't be alone on this...??

---------- Post added at 04:22 ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 ----------

Ever been in that situation before: https://youtu.be/gt_PRfchBVc

xBettyBoopx
15-01-17, 04:58
Hi Pete

I wake up with panic attacks....heart beating fast, can't breathe properly, it's very scary. When it happens I get up and get a glass of water, apparently that helps! I also play games on my laptop in bed until I calm down again and then I can sleep again, until I wake up next time and go through the whole cycle again :mad::mad:

Els
xx

ana
15-01-17, 09:01
I can definitely relate. I seem to go through phases of it whereby I wake up at 2 or 3 am, in complete and utter panic, and am unable/too scared to go back to sleep. It goes away after a while, though. Just know that a nighttime panic attack, although scary, is in no way different than a daytime one. After all, it's 'only' a panic attack. :)

KeeKee
15-01-17, 09:15
That was what my panic attacks were. I never had a daytime one and they were literally just me waking up with my heart pounding. As I'd never suffered anxiety before getting them, that was what started my HA. I was prescribed Propranolol and never had another since (I haven't taken Propranolol for almost 3 years and still haven't had another one).

The jerks whilst falling asleep are normal for everybody, even those without anxiety. My partner sometimes does it whilst dozing off on the settee.

NoraB
15-01-17, 11:35
Hi all

Recently I've been going to bed rather early and feel anxious in bed body jerks as I'm drifting off horrible feeling..

Now I'm waking through the night by panic attack which is rather frightening on just waking at this hour aswell 3:30am causing insomnia aswell because it's that intense i feel i don't want to back to sleep in fear of it..

Hi Petesy, my panic disorder started with nocturnal panic attacks three years ago. Having got to the point where I wake up with anxiety but don't add fear to it, I can control the attacks somewhat although I still do get the occasional full blown one.

I wake up most mornings at 5am and this is an improvement on the 3 and 4am that it was for a long time. Since going to bed before 10pm (the sleep that repairs happens before midnight) I have been waking up at around 5am but it's OK because it means I've had 7 hours sleep. The sleep is full of anxiety dreams but it's sleep nevertheless..

On the Chinese meridian clock, between the hours of 3 and 7am is when the bladder and kidney do their clean out but they come under 'water' which is, surprise surprise, linked to fear and anxiety. It's common for people who suffer with anxiety to wake up from 3am onwards. Before I worked on my anxiety, it was between 3 and 4am for me and I was unable to get back to sleep.

Basically cortisol is the culprit because it naturally starts to wake up after midnight but it's a slow and gentle process but with anxiety it doesn't do it gently, it beats you over the head with a big hammer and screams "WAAAAAAKKKKEEE UUUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!" so we wake up with a pounding heart and panic attack etc.

I try and do some meditation before I go to sleep. I have an app called insight timer on my I pod thingy and put on a guided mediation every night. So far, hubs has had to take my headphones off me every night as I've fallen asleep. I don't think I've listened to one all the way through yet so I reckon it's worth a go.

You're certainly not alone.

ankietyjoe
15-01-17, 12:36
Very common for me too. It's always 3-4am for me too, usually preceded by a vivid dream.

I usually wake up riddled with adrenaline, rapid heart rate which spikes as soon as I move (130-140bpm) and often find it difficult to breathe.

It used to bother me a lot, but you do get used to it. I usually get up and go for a wee, breathe slowly, turn the TV on and just not think about it.

It sucks though :doh:

tapco
16-01-17, 13:04
Hi Petesy

I had exactly this last night. As I was relaxing trying to fall asleep I would jolt and panic. Horrible feeling but I guess down to being really tired and on edge.

It's kind of like the hypnic jerk. Look that up. It's like your body thinks it's falling even though you are lying down and you put your arms and legs out to try and catch yourself.

Jon

Petesy
17-01-17, 05:03
Hi Pete

I wake up with panic attacks....heart beating fast, can't breathe properly, it's very scary. When it happens I get up and get a glass of water, apparently that helps! I also play games on my laptop in bed until I calm down again and then I can sleep again, until I wake up next time and go through the whole cycle again :mad::mad:

Els
xx

Basically word for word my life at present ELS x

---------- Post added at 04:58 ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 ----------

Hi Pete

Els
xx

Basically word for word my life at present bettyboo x

---------- Post added at 05:03 ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 ----------

Hi Petesy

I had exactly this last night. As I was relaxing trying to fall asleep I would jolt and panic. Horrible feeling but I guess down to being really tired and on edge.

It's kind of like the hypnic jerk. Look that up. It's like your body thinks it's falling even though you are lying down and you put your arms and legs out to try and catch yourself.

Jon

Thank you for the reply and Tapco

I've had those for a while and mycolonic jerks aswell

These myoclonic twitches, jerks, or seizures are usually caused by sudden muscle contractions (positive myoclonus) or brief lapses of contraction (negative myoclonus). The most common circumstance under which they occur is while falling asleep (hypnic jerk).
Myoclonus - Wikipedia

Petesy
18-01-17, 15:56
I can definitely relate. I seem to go through phases of it whereby I wake up at 2 or 3 am, in complete and utter panic, and am unable/too scared to go back to sleep. It goes away after a while, though. Just know that a nighttime panic attack, although scary, is in no way different than a daytime one. After all, it's 'only' a panic attack. :)

I'm the same ana i wake up roundabout that time sometimes can't sleep until that time also with the 100mph on the go...

And so true what you say about the difference between night and day panic attacks probably for me more frightening at night because everyone else is sleeping in the house and I'm flapping like a fish out of water with fear.

during the day ppl are up and can help me calm down but you're right just the same attack.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

Hi Petesy, my panic disorder started with nocturnal panic attacks three years ago. Having got to the point where I wake up with anxiety but don't add fear to it, I can control the attacks somewhat although I still do get the occasional full blown one.

I wake up most mornings at 5am and this is an improvement on the 3 and 4am that it was for a long time. Since going to bed before 10pm (the sleep that repairs happens before midnight) I have been waking up at around 5am but it's OK because it means I've had 7 hours sleep. The sleep is full of anxiety dreams but it's sleep nevertheless..

On the Chinese meridian clock, between the hours of 3 and 7am is when the bladder and kidney do their clean out but they come under 'water' which is, surprise surprise, linked to fear and anxiety. It's common for people who suffer with anxiety to wake up from 3am onwards. Before I worked on my anxiety, it was between 3 and 4am for me and I was unable to get back to sleep.

Basically cortisol is the culprit because it naturally starts to wake up after midnight but it's a slow and gentle process but with anxiety it doesn't do it gently, it beats you over the head with a big hammer and screams "WAAAAAAKKKKEEE UUUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!" so we wake up with a pounding heart and panic attack etc.

I try and do some meditation before I go to sleep. I have an app called insight timer on my I pod thingy and put on a guided mediation every night. So far, hubs has had to take my headphones off me every night as I've fallen asleep. I don't think I've listened to one all the way through yet so I reckon it's worth a go.

You're certainly not alone.

Very informative Nora thanks for your reply.. You basically just explained my routine lol.. And you know your stuff.. I do meditation before bedtime during it actually on the TV with YouTube on playing allsorts of sleep meditation too grounding.. Onward to detachment from overthinking here is the overthinking one works for me..

https://youtu.be/1vx8iUvfyCY ⬅ 4.9 million views must be doing something right.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Very common for me too. It's always 3-4am for me too, usually preceded by a vivid dream.

I usually wake up riddled with adrenaline, rapid heart rate which spikes as soon as I move (130-140bpm) and often find it difficult to breathe.

It used to bother me a lot, but you do get used to it. I usually get up and go for a wee, breathe slowly, turn the TV on and just not think about it.

I hear that Joe same as myself also we must be the nighthawks and i was doing a bit research about anxiety disorder and panic attacks and turns out we're very intelligent ppl in our own respect.. It does suck mate.. I keep my meditation on the TV from YouTube.. Some nights are better than others i suppose totally think it has to do with what your days been like an eventful or stressful one mines swing in roundabouts even though I've cut quite a lot of stressful things out of my life..

One things for sure we're not alone Joe

Cheers for the reply.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

I hear that Joe same as myself also we must be the nighthawks and i was doing a bit of research about anxiety disorder and panic attacks and turns out we're very intelligent ppl in our own respect.. It does suck mate.. I keep my meditation on the TV from YouTube.. Some nights are better than others i suppose totally think it has to do with what your days been like an eventful or stressful one mines swing in roundabouts even though I've cut quite a lot of stressful things out of my life..

One things for sure we're not alone Joe

Cheers for the reply.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

That was what my panic attacks were. I never had a daytime one and they were literally just me waking up with my heart pounding. As I'd never suffered anxiety before getting them, that was what started my HA. I was prescribed Propranolol and never had another since (I haven't taken Propranolol for almost 3 years and still haven't had another one).

The jerks whilst falling asleep are normal for everybody, even those without anxiety. My partner sometimes does it whilst dozing off on the settee.

Thank you keekee

My first attack was in the middle of 50,000 ppl and but some how those night seem more freaky because they wake you up and the brain is already in super sonic mode.. Those jerks are annoying I've been prescribed diazepam 21 x 2mg for those E&A Moments! I'm guessing we've all had one..

NoraB
18-01-17, 16:04
Very informative Nora thanks for your reply.. You basically just explained my routine lol.. And you know your stuff.. I do meditation before bedtime during it actually on the TV with YouTube on playing allsorts of sleep meditation too grounding.. Onward to detachment from overthinking here is the overthinking one works for me..

Only it looks like I was looking at the clock back to front. Oops! Between 3am and 5am is when the lungs do their stuff and waking up at that time is associated with sadness and grief. That would explain why it's been my time for so long as it was the death of my mum that kicked this whole thing off.

Don't suppose you've suffered a loss of a loved one or a friend recently?

Petesy
24-01-17, 19:31
Only it looks like I was looking at the clock back to front. Oops! Between 3am and 5am is when the lungs do their stuff and waking up at that time is associated with sadness and grief. That would explain why it's been my time for so long as it was the death of my mum that kicked this whole thing off.

Don't suppose you've suffered a loss of a loved one or a friend recently?

Yes as a matter of fact i did loss my friend recently :weep:

Barnabas75
24-01-17, 21:58
I know what its like to wake up having a panic attack..I would wake up with my arms in a cramp and feel like I had no air..It would go downhill fast from there with hyperventilating and dry mouth and tongue. Shaking etc. Its awefull and I feel for you as I can understand and would not wish it on anyone. I hope that it gets better for you.

NoraB
25-01-17, 06:33
Yes as a matter of fact i did loss my friend recently :weep:

Sorry to hear that, Petesy.

Petesy
26-01-17, 02:34
I know what its like to wake up having a panic attack..I would wake up with my arms in a cramp and feel like I had no air..It would go downhill fast from there with hyperventilating and dry mouth and tongue. Shaking etc. Its awefull and I feel for you as I can understand and would not wish it on anyone. I hope that it gets better for you.

Thanks greg yeah I know they catch us by surprise but waking up in the early hours with one is more frightening i think.

---------- Post added at 02:34 ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 ----------

Sorry to hear that, Petesy.

Thanks Nora B... Sorry for your loss also :flowers:

GlassPinata
26-01-17, 02:39
Hi all

Can anyone relate to this?? Seriously i can't be alone on this...??

---------- Post added at 04:22 ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 ----------

Ever been in that situation before: https://youtu.be/gt_PRfchBVc

You might have restless leg syndrome.
Look it up.