PDA

View Full Version : Tetanus question

Natural-born-worrier
15-01-17, 19:12
Hi I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about tetanus? This is something I've been worried about a few separate times. I called 111 on one occasion and was told that even if you have a tiny surface scratch to get a tetanus injection and that you need these every 10 years. I phoned my doctors and asked them and they said that you don't have them every 10 years as in her words "nobody would be able to get an appointment because everyday would be filled with tetanus injections" I said well what about if you get scratched by a cat or in the garden and she said in that case she would have had tetanus 100 times over. I thought the course you have as a child is supposed to keep you safe for life ? Having read intensively on the internet the condition of wound needs to be deep and dirty with no oxygen - so why tell me a tiny surface scratch is a matter of concern? Surely without being allowed 10 yearly boosters by the nhs we would get it every time we got the slightest scratch since it exists everywhere? Then the ingredients of the vaccine are questionable- just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this and how common getting tetanus even is these days.

ScaredLizard
16-01-17, 00:45
There are studies that show tetanus boosters are good beyond 10 years. But right now they recommend every 10 years. I had mine in May of 2014

swgrl09
16-01-17, 01:10
Yeah, it's odd because it seems the requirements are different here in the states. We have to every 10 years.