PDA

View Full Version : Worried about seizures and video games

anxious_thoughts
16-01-17, 02:49
Hi guys,

I just finished playing Uncharted on the PS4. I played for about an hour and a half non stop. I now have this headache in my forehead and behind my eyes. I googled about migraines and gaming and people say that it could happen before a seizure.

I am so scared now :( it's been a while since I've sat down and did some gaming, but I can remember it causing headaches before. I just hope it's not a seizure :(

LF87
16-01-17, 03:24
It's just from staring at the screen. I've had that after a gaming sesh, and after doing work on the laptop. It'll just be from straining your eyes x

---------- Post added at 03:24 ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 ----------

Great game by the way!

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-17, 03:32
But couldn't it just be eyestrain? Eyestrain is very common in situations like this.

Do you think it's more likely the anxious mind and Google that are leading you to worry about seizure? Anyway, trust what the medical professionals say and be wary of unknown people making claims.

GlassPinata
16-01-17, 05:38
I don't know if this is still the case, but back in the 90s, when I was really into gaming, video games carried actual warnings on the packaging about how they might trigger seizures. I believe it was recommended that you stop playing at least once every hour and do something else for a few minutes.
Sometimes when I would play all night and get very tired, I would start to feel really weird and spacey like I was going to have a seizure, but I never did. it would scare me, though.
I now believe that video games do not cause seizures in normal, healthy individuals who do not have seizure disorders. I think they can potentially trigger them in epileptics, and others who are prone to seizures. But any bright flashing lights can do that.
Video games can certainly cause headaches, and just a general feeling of strangeness after awhile. I know this from personal experience.
I think the old advice is still good advice: stop playing every hour, get up and walk around, go to the bathroom, get a drink, don't forget to eat regularly while playing. Not eating can make you feel lightheaded and weird, and sometimes we forget when we are deep into gaming. At least look away from the screen every 15 minutes or so, and focus on some distant point. look out the window, or stare at the far wall. I've found this helps with the headaches and eye strain.
Best of luck.

Sixpack
16-01-17, 14:15
Seizures *can* be triggered by gaming for those who HAVE a seizure disorder. In particular seizures that originate in the occipital lobe.

Anyone spending a good deal of time staring at a screen can develop a headache etc. Quit looking for big scaries when much more mundane things are the cause.

KeeKee
16-01-17, 14:37
I feel sick when I've been on my laptop or mobile phone for too long and like Terry suggested I also get eye strain which can cause headaches.

I always thought it was the flashing lights that triggered the seizures. Never knew it could be the game itself.

Sixpack
16-01-17, 14:41
I feel sick when I've been on my laptop or mobile phone for too long and like Terry suggested I also get eye strain which can cause headaches.

I always thought it was the flashing lights that triggered the seizures. Never knew it could be the game itself.

It is fast movements, flashing lights, lots of quick images. My eldest has seizures. There have been times the movies in the theater have set off seizures in her.

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-17, 22:52

Working with computers all day for over a decade meant I needed glasses. They could bring on nausea in me too.

Nzxt27
17-01-17, 00:00
I play video games all the time have been for over 20 years I think you'll be fine. If it starts to hurt your head just take a break

anxious_thoughts
19-01-17, 00:59
It's just from staring at the screen. I've had that after a gaming sesh, and after doing work on the laptop. It'll just be from straining your eyes x

---------- Post added at 03:24 ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 ----------

Great game by the way!

Thanks for the reply!
It gradually went away the next day after sleeping. Such a good game but I've refrained from playing since it happened. Ahh, when will it ever end? :weep:

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

But couldn't it just be eyestrain? Eyestrain is very common in situations like this.

Do you think it's more likely the anxious mind and Google that are leading you to worry about seizure? Anyway, trust what the medical professionals say and be wary of unknown people making claims.

Hi terry, thanks for the response.
It's definitely the anxious mind and the googling. Clearly doesn't help!

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

I don't know if this is still the case, but back in the 90s, when I was really into gaming, video games carried actual warnings on the packaging about how they might trigger seizures. I believe it was recommended that you stop playing at least once every hour and do something else for a few minutes.
Sometimes when I would play all night and get very tired, I would start to feel really weird and spacey like I was going to have a seizure, but I never did. it would scare me, though.
I now believe that video games do not cause seizures in normal, healthy individuals who do not have seizure disorders. I think they can potentially trigger them in epileptics, and others who are prone to seizures. But any bright flashing lights can do that.
Video games can certainly cause headaches, and just a general feeling of strangeness after awhile. I know this from personal experience.
I think the old advice is still good advice: stop playing every hour, get up and walk around, go to the bathroom, get a drink, don't forget to eat regularly while playing. Not eating can make you feel lightheaded and weird, and sometimes we forget when we are deep into gaming. At least look away from the screen every 15 minutes or so, and focus on some distant point. look out the window, or stare at the far wall. I've found this helps with the headaches and eye strain.
Best of luck.

Thank you so much for the advice! Playing for about an hour always makes me feel a little strange. I don't know how people can play for the entire day. It would probably put me into a huge panic mode:doh:

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Seizures *can* be triggered by gaming for those who HAVE a seizure disorder. In particular seizures that originate in the occipital lobe.

Anyone spending a good deal of time staring at a screen can develop a headache etc. Quit looking for big scaries when much more mundane things are the cause.

Hello Sixpack,

I guess I didn't realize that. But having been through brain tumour anxiety, I worry about it a lot. I definitely need to stop the googling!

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

I play video games all the time have been for over 20 years I think you'll be fine. If it starts to hurt your head just take a break

Thanks for responding! Taking a break every 15 minutes and making sure to stay hydrated