PDA

View Full Version : Just for one day,, I wish my hubby could feel as bad as I do....

Wilburis
16-01-17, 12:18
Hi

Im suffering badly ATM.

I cannot stop thinking I will die soon. I dont want to as I have 3 kids.

My husband doesnt understand how bad I feel everyday.

I just wish he could experience what I do on a daily basis.

I go to bed thinking tomorrow is a new day and everything will be OK, but it never is - its just the continuous nightmare that is my life.

x

SLA
16-01-17, 12:25
That is a pretty funny wish.

Why don't you wish you could feel like someone without anxiety instead? You have to bring someone else down with it? :D

I go to bed thinking tomorrow is a new day and everything will be OK, but it never is - its just the continuous nightmare that is my life.

What aspect of your life have you changed that will help reduce your anxiety?

Buster70
16-01-17, 12:38
Hi , I wouldn't wish this on anyone ( except peadophiles , rapists animal abusers ) but I know what you mean just so he could know how it feels , get him to stand on the edge of a cliff on a windy day in slippy shoes and it will be close to our entire day , if you haven't experienced it you can't possibly know how it feels I didn't before it started, it would be good if doctors could experience it for a day as well maybe then they wouldn't trivialise it " oh it's just anxiety " , hang in there it can sometimes just go for a while .

WiredIncorrectly
17-01-17, 01:57
That is a pretty funny wish.

Why don't you wish you could feel like someone without anxiety instead? You have to bring someone else down with it? :D

What aspect of your life have you changed that will help reduce your anxiety?

That's a very generic response and is not helpful. I've had anxiety over 12 years. I've seen so many doctors and took all sorts of meds and here I am. Battling the same crap and poured thousands down the drain trying to fix. I eventually got diagnosed with aspergers and they tell me there's no fix. There's all sorts of reasons for anxiety and every case unique. Life changes wouldn't make a blind bit of difference for many.

BikerMatt
17-01-17, 02:58
That's a very generic response and is not helpful. I've had anxiety over 12 years. I've seen so many doctors and took all sorts of meds and here I am. Battling the same crap and poured thousands down the drain trying to fix. I eventually got diagnosed with aspergers and they tell me there's no fix. There's all sorts of reasons for anxiety and every case unique. Life changes wouldn't make a blind bit of difference for many.

I agree lots of this going on around here recently. People who have made progress or are further down the line in recovery should know better. People who are not even anxiety sufferers doing the same, why are they even here. I've often said to my partner if I could give her the feelings of anxiety just for 5mins she would be begging for it to stop. Anxiety disorders vary massively from person to person and we need to remember that.

I've suffered from severe anxiety for 11years had cbt twice, seen a psychiatrist, done a stress management course, tried 3 antidepressants and propranolol. I was a professional sportsman for nearly 20years had a business at the age of 22 for nearly 20years and packed it all in to see if it helped and it didn't. Went to work for somebody else that didn't help. Went back self employed that didn't help. I'm now taking time out from work and that's not working either:doh::doh:

Hang in there Lizzie we've all got to believe things will get better!!!

Pythonian
17-01-17, 03:25
I was diagnosed with GAD and Panic Disorder about 12 years ago. At first, my wife really didn't get it and offered the standard advice that can be even more frustrating. She then learned what she could so she could try to help. I appreciate all of her efforts, but mostly I am grateful that in the end she realized she can't understand and now gives me the space I need when the anxiety is impacting me.

Not saying anything that everyone with anxiety doesn't already know, but if you don't have it, you can't truly understand but you can be supportive in a way that doesn't make it worse. Best wishes.

Wilburis
17-01-17, 08:57
Hi

Thank you for your support, it means a lot.

Of course I wouldnt wish this on anyone - its a living Hell but I really believe that until you have suffered, you cannot understand how debilitating this is.

Im weak and my husband is strong - he said to me yesyerday that if this is how my life will be then I must accept it and move on.

I hope you all have a good day.

xx

Jacqueline7
17-01-17, 17:04
I totally agree with u. I often say to my sister I would like u to feel
It just for a day just to see what I struggle with. It's so that those we love can understand. Then They would see we are not weak but survivors who want nothing more than to be free.

Peace to us all

Namaste

pulisa
17-01-17, 17:16

Both my adult children are on the high end of the autistic spectrum and I know what you mean. The generic anxiety management advice is ok for mild to moderate anxiety but falls short when you are dealing with aspergers/entrenched long term anxiety disorders. We manage it as best we can-some days better than others. I wouldn't want to inflict an anxiety disorder on anyone else though, even for a day.

KeeKee
17-01-17, 17:45
Whilst I wouldn't wish mental (or any other) illness on anybody else I totally get what you mean. I do feel like those who put people with mental illnesses down would gain a better Understanding if they knew just how debilitating it is. When I mention my depression in passing, my relatives fall silent. In my honest opinion I don't feel like they believe the extent of which I suffer.

NoraB
17-01-17, 18:01
Hi

Im suffering badly ATM.

I cannot stop thinking I will die soon. I dont want to as I have 3 kids.

My husband doesnt understand how bad I feel everyday.

I just wish he could experience what I do on a daily basis.

x

Hi Lizzie, I've been on both sides of this because my first husband suffered with anxiety and I have had severe anxiety and panic disorder for the past three years.

When my ex was ill, I didn't understand what was happening to him. He frequently told me he was dying and all but ceased to function and with a four year old and a little one on the way, that was scary. I saw him go through symptom after symptom and one life threatening disease after another, each time being told 'it's anxiety'. I sat with him waiting for numerous tests, including brain scans and I was at a total and utter loss of how to help him. Part of me was pissed off. Part of me was scared. I struggled with it because I was under a lot of stress having to do everything and while I was there for him in the practical sense, I failed him in the emotional one. Now I know exactly what he was going through. His eyes that were so full of fear, I recognise in myself. He was in his own living hell and it's only because I'm in the same place that I can understand what he went through.

Nobody can understand what they haven't experienced for themselves.

You've said in a later post that you are weak while your husband is strong? I'd say it takes strength to go through anxiety day after day, week after week, month after month etc

Hang on in there, lovely. X

Fishmanpa
17-01-17, 18:10
I'm not a sufferer per se' but I have experienced depression and "scanxiety". It's true, each person's anxiety is unique to a degree. I understand the feelings of depression but mine wasn't severe so I'm somewhat limited in that respect. The same with "scanxiety". When it comes to waiting on test results or the anticipation of an appointment, I get it but again, I'm limited much past that.

I've gained insight here that has helped me understand my daughter's anxiety as well.

That being said, what I have difficulty understanding are spirals of panic and fear in the face of complete evidence to the contrary. How is it that one can hang onto a fear when several medical professionals and scientific medical tests prove otherwise? To me, it's a kin to believing the world is flat when there's indisputable proof it's not. I've found that anxiety is selective as well. There could be pages of evidence that points to positives and one sentence to the contrary and that's what the sufferer latches onto. It's almost as if they want to be diagnosed. I've had replies where the OP would say "you'll be sorry when I get the diagnosis"...

Anyway.... Perhaps another way of thinking about this is "I wish I could feel as good as my husband for once" which is actually much more possible than him feeling the throes of anxiety.

Positive thoughts

NoraB
17-01-17, 18:17
Anyway.... Perhaps another way of thinking about this is "I wish I could feel as good as my husband for once" which is actually much more possible than him feeling the throes of anxiety.

Positive thoughts

My husband is so laid back he's practically horizontal! That would do me nicely!:D

Jebdog
17-01-17, 18:26
Hi Nora,

Was your ex able to recover/improve?

NoraB
17-01-17, 18:30
Hi Nora,

Was your ex able to recover/improve?

Yes. He's always had anxiety to a certain degree but he got out of that panic disorder and got on with his life again. Acceptance was the key to his recovery.