PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding colonscopy report

Kc413123
17-01-17, 00:35
Hi I have just had my colonscopy and am having difficulty understanding the report. I had 15 biospy done which am still awaiting the results.
The report says.
"a digital rectal examination was performed. The colonscope was inserted via the anus to the terminal ileum. The caecum was identified positively by ileal intubation. The scope was retroflexed in the rectum.
The examination to the point of insertion was normal".
Then on the next page is a picture of 'an area wholly within the terminal ileum" (the pictures show some white round circles. - see photo

Is this normal? Can someone please help

Catherine S
17-01-17, 00:45
Did they send this online or through the mail? Or did a doctor hand it to you personally? You probably need to ask a professional about the results if you're not sure. Even if somebody here has had colonoscopy results, they probably wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what yours means. Results are individual I would've thought. Unless there's a doctor on the forum.

ISB

Shazamataz
17-01-17, 03:57
The bit that stands out is "The examination to the point of insertion was normal".

I expect this means there is no obvious sign of inflammation or whatever else they were looking for. I have Crohn's and when they looked inside me and my illeum/caecum part was a right mess.

Kay8010
17-01-17, 10:41
Hi I have just had my colonscopy and am having difficulty understanding the report. I had 15 biospy done which am still awaiting the results.
The report says.
"a digital rectal examination was performed. The colonscope was inserted via the anus to the terminal ileum. The caecum was identified positively by ileal intubation. The scope was retroflexed in the rectum.
The examination to the point of insertion was normal".
Then on the next page is a picture of 'an area wholly within the terminal ileum" (the pictures show some white round circles. - see photo

Is this normal? Can someone please help

My colonoscopy done in October had the same terminology and 5 biopsies were taken from me - The examination to the point of insertion was normal was on my report too - the consultant told me that it means nothing sinister was found but biopsies are taken to rule out inflammation that cannot be seen etc...

Phuzella
17-01-17, 13:24
Ask a doctor

Capercrohnj
30-01-17, 01:43
Sounds very normal