PDA

View Full Version : Tight chest, breathing troubles

Hopeyet
17-01-17, 12:05
For about a month now I've had what I think is a new anxiety symptom.

It feels like my breathing is restricted. I can take shallow breaths normally, but if I try to take a deeper breath it's quite hard work - as if I was wearing a straight jacket.

This has been more or less constant for the last few weeks - it's not like a sudden panic attack - but that's the way my anxiety symptoms have behaved in the past too. In all other respects I feel normal; I'm not getting out of breath easily or experiencing chest pains or anything.

Has anyone else had that? I'm a bit concerned about the way it lingers rather than coming and going like a panic attack.

insideout20
17-01-17, 14:31
yes i get this, on and off, it does go, i had ot for past week, it lingers even if im not having an anxiety attack, i can feel like that for hours like i cant get a breath

Hopeyet
20-01-17, 17:39
Still got it. I've had this - more often than not - for weeks now. The thing is, one of the first things that happens when I get anxious is that my neck tenses up - again for weeks at a time - and this seems to be a similar thing with my rib cage.

PanickyGuy
20-01-17, 22:41
Adrenaline surges, which tighten up your chest muscles, getting you ready for that fight or flight that comes with our anxiety and panic. It don't take much with even just a little bit of anxiety every now and then throughout the day.

Unless you have GERD. That will do it too with gas\bloating\indigestion, which seems to push up on the lower diaphragm and lungs a little bit when that happens; depending on how bad it is.