PDA

View Full Version : Drinking to get rid of the anxiety.

Bailey1292
17-01-17, 17:34
Simple question really dose anyone else drink to stop anxiety even tho it obviously has its side effects?

To cut an extremely long story short I'm an ex cancer patient, I had a brain tumour, a rare form of non-hodgkins lymphoma which came back in my neck just after beating it I've had chemotherapy and radio therapy. I'm 5 years out now but still stuffer with terrible anxiety attacks, I've had psychology, cognitive behavioural therapy (medium level and high level), I've been given coping method's and all the other mental help but nothings worked except if I have enough alcohol to be able to forget about it. Dose anyone else do this too?

Chris

KeeKee
17-01-17, 17:40
Whilst my situation isn't the same as yours, I can honestly say alcohol makes my anxiety and depression much, much worse (although it's great for my BDD :-)), so much so that I gave it up altogether almost 4 years ago. I won't even have a single drink as my stomach churns at the thought of it.

Sphincterclench
17-01-17, 18:02
I dont have the stomach for almost any alcohol but when/if I do have one all it does to me is make me sleepy, and nauseated. neither would I call good for my anxiety.

ServerError
17-01-17, 18:11
You should never try to medicate a mental health problem with alcohol. I would suggest that you seek help.

Fishmanpa
17-01-17, 18:24
I'm a survivor as well. Stage IV H&N cancer, 6 weeks chemo/rads, almost 4 years out. I can say emphatically that self medicating with alcohol can be and is detrimental and many struggle with increased anxiety due to hangovers. And in my case, due to medications I take, more than a beer is definitely a no no.

I struggled a bit with some depression and "scanxiety" so I do get it. Please speak to your doctor about some possible medication alternatives to alcohol to help quell your anxiety. I was given Buspar which definitely helped and doesn't have the same side effects as SSRIs. I haven't had to use it for well over a year now.

Positive thoughts

jcd_gad
17-01-17, 22:02
Hi - have stopped drinking now, it got to the point that drinking lowered my inhabitions to the point where I ended up with a conviction.

I'm now at a point where i'm feeling a lot better, but alcohol played a HUGE part in offending behaviour.... Be careful!