PDA

View Full Version : scared to go on girls holiday

Lilchick
17-01-17, 23:44
I'm supposed to be going on a girls holiday with my friends - however, i'm unsure whether my anxiety will enable this. -- when i went on a school trip last year i was sick with anxiety everyday and could not enjoy myself as it was out of my comfort zone and i just could not like it.
I want to go bcos its a once in a lifetime experience but i dont want to waste money and be stuck in a country that i dont want to be in - but i do want to go to the place. just scared anxiety will suddenly overcome me, like it did on the school trip - it's like im trapped in this other country and cant retreat back to my comfort zone - how do i get use to this idea of being able to travel and not be struck by fear? i can't let it ruin my life !

.Poppy.
18-01-17, 02:08
You got this!

I used to be the same way. In high school I'd have terrible anxiety when I'd go over to a friend's house or have friends come over to mine. I never could figure it out, but I'd panic, get nauseous, etc.

In college I shared a dorm room with one of my friends and there were a couple of months where I actually couldn't sleep and had to drive 30+ minutes home in the middle of the night to sleep in my own bed.

When I went on my first spring break trip I was terrified that I would have multiple panic attacks and that it would be awful. The first night was rough but after that I had a blast! I've been on several trips with friends since and there are some nights that are rougher than others but overall it's been manageable and I haven't regretted a trip yet.

The best advice I can give is to let your friends know you might have some anxiety acting up and give yourself a chance to get away if you need it. If I was having trouble sleeping because of anxiety, for example, I would listen to Netflix on my phone or music on my iPod. It helps. If you need to escape for just half an hour to recollect yourself, give yourself permission to do so.

Honestly, sometimes just having those little breaks in the day to look forward to "escaping" to make the rest of the time more bearable and makes it a lot easier for you to have fun!

I say go. Push through the fear as best you can. You won't regret it.