PDA

View Full Version : looking for others thoughts

Nzxt27
18-01-17, 00:16
I don't post on here as much and when I do it's usually to try to help someone calm down. But I am wondering what others peoples thoughts are to what's going on with me lately.

So as some know I have had anxeity for a year now. I went to ER back in Jan 2016 for chest pains got released with no heart problems or anything and dr said I had GAD. Well after all that panic and stress two weeks later I started noticing twitches in my left calf. And of course I did what I shouldn't have done and googled. Well my twitching has got worse and now I get twitches pretty much everywhere. Back,arms,hands,legs,feet,sides,butt cheeks. Yes my anxeity as been high most the year. But lately I'm noticing my legs feels tighter and sore. I started noticing this few days ago. I don't get as much excersice as I need I know. But I have been trying to walk some lately. I don't think I have any weakness or anything but they are sore.

If I recall the twitching Seattled down some before I started having colon cancer worry and had every spymtoms of that. So of course I stressed about that till I got a colonscopy. And it was all clear just minor hemmoroids.

Why I'm wondering what you guys think is because I'm tired of running to the DR for everything and they say I'm fine it's anxeity. That and I don't have health insurance and also it puts a stress on my family and my GF everytime I do this. I'm tired of making them more stressed with my worries. I mean I don't think I have ALS really since it's extremely rare but it does cross my mind sometimes. Sorry to rant on about this just seems nice to be able to talk to someone and hear what they have to say. I can't ask my gf anymore questions she just gets mad lol.

I've read BFS can cause soreness and pain. Like I said idk what it is but my twitches go from legs to arms to other parts in matter of seconds sometimes.

Hancock
18-01-17, 00:34
Bfs, fibro, cfs, etc go into the category of "health issues that are benign, irritating, and are caused by an overly active (or overly stressed, as I like to call it) nervous system".

I've been twitching for a year and five months now, and I've had every weird muscle related symptom you can name besides true clinical weakness. As I type this, my right thigh feels as though it has gone through a meat grinder. It's so sore and tender to the touch it's insane. I've twitched there, and basically every other muscle group that can twitch. Bfs and fibro typically have exercise intolerance associated with them (as in, a lot of movement, stress, etc) can cause those feelings. I think it's more so because you're STILL thinking about als, which is EXACTLY why you're still feeling strange symptoms.

I would know, as I do the same thing. I can say after a year and some change that I'm over it, but I'm really not. The concept still scares me. And even though it's extremely rare (like you said) there's always that rogue "what if" thought deep inside my brain somewhere every time I feel a twitch, get sore, tired, etc.

You're not sick, and you're not dying. I can tell you that right now. I can also tell you that until you firmly put the fear of als six feet in the ground, it will continue to haunt you in its unique little ways. Your anxiety will continue to feed and make your body feel miserable because you're still giving it ammunition (even if it's just one bullet instead of an entire mag).

As one twitchy person to another, I get it. But we gotta accept that we're okay. And we gotta accept that some scary crap happens in this world and it's totally out of our control. But it's not happening to us, and if by some horrible stroke of luck we end up getting the disease we fear so much (which by the way, would make us terrible hypochondriacs), we would have to deal with it. So there's no use obsessing about it now, or even thinking about it.

The only time I'll think of illness is when I'm ill. The only time I'll think of the flu is when I have it. The only time I'll think about cancer is if I'm diagnosed, and the only time I'll think about als is when someone tells me I have between 2 to 5 years at best. And I'll have to just take it in stride. So will you. And so will everyone else. I know that's morbid but that's the only way to beat these fears. We have to bare our teeth and spit in it's face and say "not today".

Catherine S
18-01-17, 00:54
Hancock, I know it's not funny and no disrespect to you or the OP, but when you said "I've been twitching for a year" it cracked me up sorry :scared15:

Anyway, on a serious note, I was told recently by an optician that magnesium helps with twitchy nerves. This was because I'd mentioned that one of my eyelids was really twitchy during the eye test.

ISB :D

Hancock
18-01-17, 01:00
I don't blame you for laughing at all, I often question my own sanity when I start questioning my twitching after a year haha. There's times when I'm absolutely batsh*t though, so I understand OP.

This is where medication plays a huge role. The only time I think the way I do (with a sense of acceptance in the fact of my lack of control over my life and the world) is when I'm on my medication. As soon as I get off it, all reasoning and logic rushes out the door and I'm left with my emotions...which cannot be trusted for obvious reasons.

I've heard magnesium is supposed to help. I had taken some supplements a while ago but I didn't notice too much of a difference. They were just over the counter vitamins though, and they messed with my stomach too much so I got off them too quickly probably.

Catherine S
18-01-17, 01:05
I guess as with any meds, its about finding the right dose. I believe with magnesium, anything not used by a deficient system is discarded liberally at the other end so to speak!

ISB ☺

Nzxt27
18-01-17, 01:31
Thanks for the replies. All I know I have been wrong about 2 thinks so far my heart and colon cancer. And I was 99% certain I had colon cancer. Every symptom in the book I had. I was terrified the day of colonscopy which was December 17th and it was not because of the procedure it was I knew the outcome (or so I thought). The twitching sucks. I hate it and it is by far my worse symptom. It always seems to find its way back even when you think you are calm. I can sit on my computer at my desk and my legs will just twitch away. And what's the odd of it being something else besides anxeity/stress related being I never noticed it till two weeks after a crazy stressful week that ended up with me in ER with chest pains.

After all I read or heard of ALS. Their starts in a certain location and twitching is after the muscle has died. That the muscle would be useless by time it starts to twitch. And the twitching doesn't jump from on limb to another to all over body in matter of seconds. Even know I know how my twitching jumps around I still fear it in the back of my mind.

I don't even really fear MS anymore being I read they live pretty much full life spans and that 2/3 of people with it never become disabled. Not that I want MS either but the fear is not nearly as bad or there.

Vitamin deficiency I could see and I have went to my dr wanting one but she did not do it. I have no insurance so I think they try to really decide if I need it or not and not run a bunch of test just because someone insurance will pay for it.