PDA

View Full Version : Worried about teenage son!!

BrokenGirl
18-01-17, 21:45
My own HA is very bad lately, there is always something (or a few things ) bothering me. But I'm starting to get worried about my teenage son. He's 15 and is always tired. A lot of days when he comes home from school, he'll have his dinner and fall asleep on the couch after. I know teenagers need a lot of sleep but this seems to be getting out of hand. He had blood tests done a few months ago for the usual things, like iron, B vitamins, thyroid function etc and everything came back clear.
I don't know if I should take him back to the doctor or not. He's not too anxious to go but I'm starting to freak out.
Any advise anyone!!

ServerError
18-01-17, 21:55
"Everything came back clear". There you go. You have your reassurance. He's fine.

When I was 15, I often crashed after school. It's easy to forget how tough school can be. I'm not sure I've ever had a job that required the level of application and concentration that school asked of my young mind.

I really feel that you need some help with your anxiety.

Nzxt27
18-01-17, 22:13
Are you sure he's not sleeping after school then staying up half the night doing what teenagers usually do? Playing games and other things teenage boys like to do? Lol

BrokenGirl
18-01-17, 22:20
Are you sure he's not sleeping after school then staying up half the night doing what teenagers usually do? Playing games and other things teenage boys like to do? Lol

I'm sure he's not doing that. We turn off his internet access after 10pm on schoolnights, just to make sure.
He fell asleep this evening after dinner as usual for nearly 2 hours. And he was in bed by 9pm. I just checked on him as he's sound asleep.
I just don't know when I'm over reacting or not.

And I do realise Server that I need help with my anxiety. I'm on the waiting list for counselling, hoping it will start soon.......

ServerError
18-01-17, 22:24
When the doctors tell you there's nothing to worry about, but you continue to believe there's a problem, you're overreacting.

BrokenGirl
18-01-17, 22:31
When the doctors tell you there's nothing to worry about, but you continue to believe there's a problem, you're overreacting.

I hear what you're saying Server, and I would normally totally agree with you. But what I can't get out of my head is what if he has something that was not tested for, or can't be detected in a blood test?
Does that make sense or is that my overactive mind again?

ServerError
18-01-17, 22:35
"What if?" is to the anxiety sufferer what cheeseburgers are to the obese or alcohol is to the addict.

Ask yourself, what road is healthier to travel down: the one where you trust the doctors and accept their findings, or the one where you push and push for more and more tests, convincing yourself and eventually your son that something really is wrong?

BrokenGirl
18-01-17, 22:42
Thank you Server. You have just made me realise that I am falling into the "what if" trap, which can be never ending if you let it.
I WILL trust the doctors. They know what they are doing, I certainly don't!!!
Thanks for your very honest advice :)

swajj
19-01-17, 02:24
How is your son on the weekends when he isn't at school?

Nzxt27
19-01-17, 02:48
When I was a teenager I use to love to come home and take naps and sleep. My parents always use to make me stay awake it annoyed me lol.

BrokenGirl
19-01-17, 10:39
How is your son on the weekends when he isn't at school?

He stays up late at the weekends and when there's no school. I try to get him to go to bed around 1am but I know he stays up later that this. The odd time I've caught him still up at around 3am.
Then it's impossible to get him out of bed. I'll have to call him several times and it's never before lunch time when he gets up.
So he's really going from one extreme to the other between the weekdays and the weekends.

swajj
20-01-17, 00:43
lol there's your answer. I have a 15 year old son too. He is exhausted during the week but come the weekend he will sit up until 3am. School is exhausting...mentally. Mental fatigue can be just as bad as physical fatigue.

Scared2death21
20-01-17, 01:48
I'm 21 so I'm not too far removed from your son in age. I wouldn't be alarmed at all if I were you. I remember being the same way in high school. Also he may just be the type that requires a lot of sleep. If I have nothing to do for the day I could easily be out 10-12 hours without even noticing. It's pretty hard for me to get out of bed as well. It just feels so good to stay in :D

GlassPinata
20-01-17, 03:38
I have two grown sons and a little one.
Teenage boys sleep a lot- more than little children, it seems, and certainly more than adults.
They especially sleep a lot when they are going through growth spurts.
Is his tiredness the only thing bothering you?
Is it possible he could be depressed?
If you're worried about his physical health, take him to the doctor for bloodwork. If he's anemic or lacking in some nutrient, that's an easy fix.
If you suspect depression, perhaps you could get him to speak to a counselor?
But if fatigue is his only symptom, I would suspect it is normal for his age. He's probably putting a lot of energy into growing right now.

* edit: just saw that you already did bloodwork.
Then there's really nothing left to explore, except possibly his mental health.
But like i said: it sounds normal and typical to me.

Best wishes.

BrokenGirl
20-01-17, 09:03
Thank you everyone for the replies. It's certainly reassuring that a lot of you think it's fairly normal, although I still think he's sleeping an awful lot.
I suggested to him yesterday taking him to the doctor and he agreed with me. So I'm taking him this morning, but I have to go in anyway with my daughter. She's had a sore throat for a few days, it's getting worse and she can barely eat now.
Anyone who is reading this can I ask your opinion, I've been worried about lymph nodes in my neck the last week or two. Some people here have said I have nothing to worry about but I can't stop worrying. Should I get the doctor to feel them while I'm in with her, and that would mean in front of my 2 kids. The last thing I ever want is for them to realise I have HA.....

swajj
20-01-17, 12:56
If you don't then you are going to go home and regret that you didn't. So yes get the doctor to feel them. You are trying to protect your children from your HA. That's a good thing but more important than that you need to make sure that you don't start obsessing over their health, because they will pick up on it.

BrokenGirl
20-01-17, 15:01
Well I'm just back from the doctor. The good news is that I'm happy with the kids. She doesn't think there is anything seriously wrong with my son. She gave us a few pieces of advice on little things he needs to change so we'll go with that for now!
I didn't get to say it to her about my lymph nodes and it's driving me mad. She was a new doctor and was a bit abrupt. They were very busy there and she made it clear that she wasn't happy that I had 2 children with me. Even my 15 yr old son thought she was a bit of a b**ch, and he wouldn't normally say that about people. So there was no way i could ask her to look at me as well. Now this lymph node thing is really driving me insane :weep:
If only I had seen a nicer doctor then who knows, maybe I'd be in good form now!!!!

Elen
20-01-17, 15:20
My own HA is very bad lately, there is always something (or a few things ) bothering me.

You really need to try and break this cycle. You have had loads of re-assurance re your lymph nodes on a previous thread.

Your anxiety is literally searching out things to panic about and sadly you are the only one who can stop it.