PDA

View Full Version : Big Mirtazapine belly - does it go away?

lunaloomer
18-01-17, 22:33
Heya,

I quit Mirtazapine cold turkey over 2 months ago (I was on it for a year and a half) because it gave me terrible brain fog, oversleeping and developed a big ol' pot belly.

I've been skinny all my life and have read online that a lot of people get big bellies from the Mirt.

Anyway, I expected it to go away at least a bit by now but it's still there? Will I have to "work it off" with exercise or does it just take a long time to go away? There's no other reason for it I can think of - I eat just as much as I normally do...

Shazamataz
19-01-17, 00:18
I was on Mirt for a few months and put on 9kg :( Since stopping it 4 months ago I've only managed to lose about 3 so am not sure how much is the Mirt and how much may be the lead up to menopause. I've known others who have trouble losing the Mirt weight. Good luck!

jcd_gad
10-02-17, 17:59
It does go away, but i found that most anti depressants (i'm on third) change mood, and the way we eat.

freddytb
18-12-17, 01:02
Heya,

I quit Mirtazapine cold turkey over 2 months ago (I was on it for a year and a half) because it gave me terrible brain fog, oversleeping and developed a big ol' pot belly.

I've been skinny all my life and have read online that a lot of people get big bellies from the Mirt.

Anyway, I expected it to go away at least a bit by now but it's still there? Will I have to "work it off" with exercise or does it just take a long time to go away? There's no other reason for it I can think of - I eat just as much as I normally do...

Hi, I may be starting on mirtazapine soon and wanted to know how you progressed with the weight loss?
Was it only the stomach area that you put on weight or was it everywhere?? Thanks :)

Maca44
22-12-17, 15:10
It makes you want to eat more it's not the drug itself that puts the weight on it's you eating more because it makes you want to eat.
I put on weight when I started on Mirt but my mental health was far more important than a few lb's of fat so don't be put off by the weight thing it's easy to get to control of that once you start to feel better. It's never a good idea to stop cold turkey I never understand why people do that your just asking for trouble.

hanshan
22-12-17, 23:27
I tend to agree that the drug changes how people eat so that they eat more without noticing. If you notice weight going on around the abdomen, that's how a lot of people (particularly men) store weight once they become adults. Once stopping the drug, eating habits have to change back before weight will be lost, and even then it may be a slow process. I was able to lose around 11 kg while taking mirtazapine by keeping a calorie count every day - no magic involved. I stopped counting, and about 6 kg have gone back on. So I know how to lose the weight - but it requires self-discipline.

SmilingAlbert
24-12-17, 11:23
+1 to all this.

Yes putting on weight is not inevitable on mirt, but requires self-control. So reduce foods like bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, anything with sugar, and up protein: fish, lean meats etc., + plenty of vegetables which will fill you up but have hardly any calories. Don't snack, and drink plenty of water to keep you filled up, again with no calories.

Albert