PDA

View Full Version : Please help! (Bloody sputum / phlegm)

Pandamanda
19-01-17, 16:11
I've been coughing out bloody sputum (no dark blood, it's all almost bright red and maybe 1/2 to 1 teaspoons) for about two to three weeks (I cough like five times more or less a day, not a lot). It's not very frequent and happens at various times, randomly. It might come once or twice a day or once every few days. I have no other symptoms except for night sweats (occasionally) and very tired in general (but students are always tired). I'm starting to get worried as its closing to a month since it started. Any ideas as to what could have caused it?
P/s: No bloody nose when clearing it in the shower, just white or greenish snot.
No bloody gums or cheeks or tongue.
No sore throats or flu like symptoms.

Sphincterclench
19-01-17, 18:36
Im not trying to wind you up but .....sometimes you just need a Doc, no way anyone here can diagnose this.

Pandamanda
20-01-17, 01:22
Im not trying to wind you up but .....sometimes you just need a Doc, no way anyone here can diagnose this.

Oh, that bad. Guess I better start making appointments :weep:

Sphincterclench
20-01-17, 02:17
your coughing up blood, yeah I Think that might warrant a visit to the Dr

bin tenn
20-01-17, 02:54
Even if it were something far more common, if it's new to you and it persists for a few weeks it's best to see a doc, IMO. Seeing a doc doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever.

TimeSoup
20-01-17, 07:53
It's called hemoptysis and constitutes an emergency case. You need to smart up the pace towards medical attention. In any case, if it's really blood you are spitting and it does not originate from the upper aeral tract, you're in for CT scan and or bronchoscopy. Are u a smoker ? What's your age?