PDA

View Full Version : Droopy eye lung cancer

Alwaysanxious102
20-12-16, 02:35
Hi all - while I also have intense health anxiety about my own health I tend to primarily fixate this worry on behalf of my loved ones. My father passed away from cancer when I was younger so I have always been worried about my mother's health. Over the past few years, she's been exhibiting new symptoms that really have me terrified - headaches, blurry vision, constant shoulder blade pain. When I was home a few months ago visiting her, I noticed that her toenails seemed somewhat "clubbed". When I googled this, I almost had a heart attack when reading that it's typically always caused by lung cancer. I begged her to go to the doctor but she refuses - I think she is always afraid of going to the doctor after seeing what happened to my father.

Anyway, today I came home and noticed that her left eyelid is quite droopy - she says that it's been like this for a while. I read about this type of lung cancer where one experiences shoulder pain as well as clubbed nails/one droopy eyelid. On top of all of this, she's currently in the process of moving and is very stressed. She complained about extreme fatigue and irritability - she even sounded surprised that she felt this way. At this point, how can it not be lung cancer? I know that it isn't wise to self diagnose but every symptom seems too specific to be anything else.

Please, someone weigh in with some insight. I'm losing sleep and my appetite over this and whenever I look at my mom I get depressed thinking about her being gone.

bin tenn
20-12-16, 03:28
Honestly, I don't think I can offer much reassurance, but to answer your question "how can it not be lung cancer?" - Well, because it isn't, as far as anyone knows. Do I think she should see a doc? Absolutely, because it sounds like those symptoms are new to her. Can you force her to go? Unfortunately not. Perhaps continue recommending strongly that she go. Offer to go with her for support.

But does that mean it's lung cancer? Not at all. How many people have "telling" symptoms and it turns out to be nothing, or nothing serious/life threatening? Quite often. I've had "symptoms" that lined up quite well with awful diseases; turned out to be "nothing".

I do hope she seeks care/answers and that she can feel well soon.

MyNameIsTerry
20-12-16, 05:32
I think it would be a good idea for her to see a doctor given her symptoms. That doesn't mean it is lung cancer, but it is best given the drooping and other concerns.

As far as lung cancer goes, symptoms only show at the late stages. My GF's mum was diagnosed as terminal and she only had symptoms for about a month or so. Whilst I don't want to scare you with this fact, as it's commonly (sadly) the case for many with lung cancer who start to experience symptoms, I want to tell you this because in her case she went from no symptoms to being in hospital in about month. Within 6 weeks she couldn't even walk up the stairs more than once a day after they discharged her. Prior to that she was an active person and member of a walking club!

Lung cancer is very aggressive. She's had symptoms you have worried about for a long time. The mortality rates at even 9 months are very low with treatment so to go a few years without any treatment would be bordering on the impossible. Even a few months of symptoms would likely see her quite ill by now, although that really is for a doctor to say.

I'm sorry if that is triggering for you but it is also possibly a little bit of evidence of this condition that I hope can help you understand how it is very possible it's not what you fear.

kirstynic
20-12-16, 06:38
Hi I am sorry you are feeling this way, worrying about ourselves is hard but worrying about loved ones is also so hard especially as we can't make them get themselves checked out. Obviously with the symptoms your mum has, visiting a dr would be the best thing to do. My dads lung cancer was picked up after an X-ray, his only symptom was a cough. Is there any other family members you can talk to, to share your worries? Maybe they will be able to talk your mum into seeing a doctor. Xxx

Alwaysanxious102
20-12-16, 11:56
Thanks so much for your replies - it really means a lot to me. It's all very scary to take in but I'm really going to try to push for her to get to a doctor. Just this morning she asked my brother to take me to the airport when what she meant to say was train station. She caught herself after I sort of laughed about it - is this just a slip or what you would consider a symptom of a possible brain issue caused by a cancer spreading? My brain does tend to go from 0 to 60 often but with my dads illness, it was so unpredictable and non expected that the idea of being "rational" unfortunately doesn't work for me anymore.

Gary A
20-12-16, 13:03
Just because it can be something certainly doesn't mean that it is. Her symptoms literally could be caused by dozens of other things. I have to be honest, those symptoms wouldn't ever scream "lung cancer" to me.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong, but I think it's quite a leap to go from blurry vision, headaches and droopy eyes to lung cancer. These symptoms would, for me, point to eye issues or at worse a malfunction within a cranial nerve.

It would be wise for her to see a doctor, but I'd be very surprised if they even remotely considered a problem with the lungs, based on the symptoms.

unsure_about_this
20-12-16, 13:10
Best thing to do is see a GP/doctor

MyNameIsTerry
20-12-16, 14:18
Thanks so much for your replies - it really means a lot to me. It's all very scary to take in but I'm really going to try to push for her to get to a doctor. Just this morning she asked my brother to take me to the airport when what she meant to say was train station. She caught herself after I sort of laughed about it - is this just a slip or what you would consider a symptom of a possible brain issue caused by a cancer spreading? My brain does tend to go from 0 to 60 often but with my dads illness, it was so unpredictable and non expected that the idea of being "rational" unfortunately doesn't work for me anymore.

I do that. Most of us on here do that (mental health issues affect cognitive functions, it's a Serotonin issue). Depending on here age, slips like that can be very common and it's not worth considering it as a concern unless you see patterns. So, considering "is it another cancer symptom?" is just an anxiety issue, or rather it's just the subconscious mind considering something and you reacting with fear making it more intense. I like to regard such matters of the subconscious as it considering "options" for my conscious mind to say "oh go away, that's rubbish!". Like with intrusive thoughts.

Your dad's death due to cancer is bound to affect you, like anyone would be, and adding anxiety to that, especially HA, is going to make you more susceptible to reacting with fear when a trigger arises like this. That's something than you can work to change to improve your life.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Hi I am sorry you are feeling this way, worrying about ourselves is hard but worrying about loved ones is also so hard especially as we can't make them get themselves checked out. Obviously with the symptoms your mum has, visiting a dr would be the best thing to do. My dads lung cancer was picked up after an X-ray, his only symptom was a cough. Is there any other family members you can talk to, to share your worries? Maybe they will be able to talk your mum into seeing a doctor. Xxx

I'm sorry to hear your dad has this, Kirsty. Hopefully they have caught it earlier. I hope he gets all the help he needs and has a full recovery. :hugs::flowers:

Alwaysanxious102
20-12-16, 17:03
I appreciate your thoughtful responses, Terry. I'm starting to wonder if my anxiety and obsessive thinking patterns should warrant a trip to the doctor myself. While I've always been anxious, it's definitely gotten worse over the past few years. I don't believe in cure all pills or things of that nature, but there has got to be something that will help me feel more like myself, right?

MyNameIsTerry
20-12-16, 18:12
No problem, that's what we all do for each other on here.

Yes, if it's becoming a problem or limiting your life a trip to a doctor is a good start. There is always therapy to try to improve things. Meds can be difficult since we all react individually so they can mean a period of trial & error.

It's clear that you have issued with Cognitive Distortions, something I learned a lot about at a charity in their walk-in support groups, and you can improve that situation by learning about where your thoughts are trying to skew. It can help you to cut down on the intensity because catastrophizing is often a big problem for us. It's clear you have areas you can improve with other ones in this such as minimising, maximising, etc which are big problems to people with obsessive disorders.

Stecakes
21-12-16, 00:20
i have to agree with Gary a
this does not scream lung cancer.
shoulder pain from lung Cancer is
when a tumour is interfering with a nerve, this is rare. most people diagnosed with
lung cancer are feeling no pain (this goes for small cell also)
ones that do feel pain are usually at an advanced stage, and would rapidly deteriorate. not slowly get worse.
as for the clubbing ( if it is clubbing ) and not hammer toe or something similar, this can be caused by air restriction of any kind, including asthma, bronchitis, and log lasting infection.
you need to stop researching cancer symptoms. and stop paying attention to second hand anecdotes (someone who knows someone who had it)
we're all riddled with cancer according to the internet

MyNameIsTerry
21-12-16, 06:05
i have to agree with Gary a
this does not scream lung cancer.
shoulder pain from lung Cancer is
when a tumour is interfering with a nerve, this is rare. most people diagnosed with
lung cancer are feeling no pain (this goes for small cell also)
ones that do feel pain are usually at an advanced stage, and would rapidly deteriorate. not slowly get worse.
as for the clubbing ( if it is clubbing ) and not hammer toe or something similar, this can be caused by air restriction of any kind, including asthma, bronchitis, and log lasting infection.
you need to stop researching cancer symptoms. and stop paying attention to second hand anecdotes (someone who knows someone who had it)
we're all riddled with cancer according to the internet

That rather depends on the anecdotes in question. Those saying they have experience of people in their lives who have our are going through it can be useful in telling you why your fear doesn't have evidence to prove it. Having anxiety experience is even better as it adds understanding of the mindset.

Stecakes
21-12-16, 09:02
@ mynameisterry
the focus of my comment was clearly on what's being read on internet
but I'd apply it the circumstances you describe too
witness testimony might hold weight in the courtroom, but it's useless in the lab

MyNameIsTerry
21-12-16, 23:17
@ mynameisterry
the focus of my comment was clearly on what's being read on internet
but I'd apply it the circumstances you describe too
witness testimony might hold weight in the courtroom, but it's useless in the lab

You mean when I was saying it's extremely unlikely to be lung cancer based on knowing someone who has it? Based on understanding what their medical staff have been through with them. So, please explain to me why you believe the opinion of someone who doesn't state they have experience of it is any more valid.

Stecakes
22-12-16, 08:57
I mean the op comment. " I read about this type of lung cancer"
my point was he shouldn't subscribe to second hand information from a source he knows nothing about,
for instance, he could find a page where John wrote " oh my dad had that it causes an itchy thumb" does that mean op should worry about itchy thumb ?
how do we know that related ?
how do we know his dad really had it?
in fact, how do we know his names even john, you see where this is going?
the only people who's opinion is worth worry is trained medical professionals.
otherwise it's just blind faith with no testable data and that can be dangerous .
that's my point.
the post I aw agreeing with was logical, it referred to "lack of evidence of disease"
and required no blind belief. like " I know someone" would require
sorry for any confusion

Alwaysanxious102
20-01-17, 01:39
Hello

Most of what I've been posting here and anxietyzone have revolved around my anxiety over my mother's health. Unfortunately, through all of her symptoms over the years I've had reason to suspect that there is something wrong with her. It drives me crazy that she refuses to go to doctors so I tend to dwell on my anxiety and fear that she has a major illness.

She's complained of vision problems for a few years now and just the other day went to an eye doctor - she won't admit it, but the only reason why she would go to the doctor would be if something was really bothering her.

The eye doctor told her that she needed cataract surgery but that also he could see evidence of a past stroke as one side of her face/eyelid is droopy. He recommended that she get an MRI.

I'm beside myself at this point, as for the past year or so I've been very concerned that my mother either has lung cancer or something wrong in her brain. She's definitely had severe back pain at times and over the past few months I've noticed her eye getting saggier - I'm very worried that this is Horner's Syndrome and that she's suffering from a rare type of lung cancer. This on top of the fact (as I mentioned in my other post) that I think she has clubbed toenails, I can't imagine there being another explanation for all of her physical troubles.

I know anxiety is getting the best of me but I can't help but fear that the end is near and I can't wrap my head around it.

Does anyone have some input as to what might be causing all of this that isn't terminal?

Sphincterclench
20-01-17, 02:16
you cant force other people to take care of themselves and you certainly cant hold them to your anxiety.

Afraid Im not much help...

Alwaysanxious102
20-01-17, 13:04
How likely is it that a unilateral drooping eyelid is indicative of some sort of malignancy? I'm very worried ....

KeeKee
20-01-17, 13:07
I have one eyelid that droops, it's been that way a while (few years). Hate it as I think it makes me look lopsided but never thought to worry about it.

Fishmanpa
20-01-17, 13:12
Didn't you say in your previous thread that your Mom was going to go for some testing to help determine what's going on?

Positive thoughts

Alwaysanxious102
20-01-17, 13:18
She ended up going to the eye doctor for an unrelated issue (cataracts) and the eye doctor told her she should get an MRI as he was concerned about the eyelid/facial dropping. Having a medical professional echo my fears is making me terrified.

swajj
20-01-17, 13:21
How did you make that connection? Droopy eye/lung cancer...

Elen
20-01-17, 13:33
Hi

I have merged your threads together as they are all dealing with the same issue.

Alwaysanxious102
20-01-17, 15:07
I've read that most times there is a drooping eyelid with other symptoms that this is indicative of a tumor and/or heart disease issue.

Alwaysanxious102
25-01-17, 17:38
Hi all

Hoping some of you might be able to weigh in with advice here. I'm wondering about how quickly something like breast cancer might spread to an area such as the brain. I know that states of progression are entirely unpredictable, but I'm hoping that if I have some sort of direction I might not be such an anxious mess right now.

My mother went to the eye doctor the other day and he recommended that she get an MRI/neurological examination, due to the presence of a drooping eyelid.I started googling this (obviously), and am very concerned about her health. I've been concerned about her health for years and years as she always seems to be presenting one symptom or another.

I guess I'm primarily worried that she has an undiagnosed cancer that has spread to her brain, which I've read about as being one possible cause of a drooping eyelid. Around 2.5 years ago, she said she had felt a lump in her left breast. When she went to the doctor, they could feel anything and she forgot all about it - she did not get a mammogram.

Now that all of these things are happening on her left side (drooping eyelid), intermittent back pain on the left, is it possible that this lump was breast cancer and now it's spread to her brain?

I'm so scared and terrified by the thought of losing my mother. Please let me know if anyone has had any similar experience.

Elen
25-01-17, 17:44
threads merged

Alwaysanxious102
25-01-17, 21:06
If a post is on a different topic do the threads need to be merged?

Fishmanpa
25-01-17, 21:12
If a post is on a different topic do the threads need to be merged?

No, but when they're all about the same topic one should continue on the same thread as opposed to starting a new one on the same subject. All the threads you started are about fear of your mother having cancer and a droopy eyelid as a symptom so it would make more sense and lend some continuity to continue that thread. Have you seen your doctor to discuss your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Stecakes
25-01-17, 23:04
Google will tell you the earth is flat, and the royal family are reptilian aliens
Do you really trust it?
Theres countless reasons for drooping eye to occur, cancer being a distant one.
Only a doctor can give the reassurances you require, mri with contrast will not miss a thing.
And will give better answers than on here.
you need to see doctor about your own issues as fishman said