PDA

View Full Version : Can Health Anxiety cause weight loss even when eating?!?!?

Annietere
20-01-17, 13:58
I was diagnosed with Stage 0 breast cancer 8 months ago. That same week, I learned that I was adopted. Between diagnosis and my surgery a month later, I lost 10 pound. By that point, I conviced myself it was from metastasis. After my surgery, the doctors assured me my early stage cancer had gone nowhere, so I thought I had another cancer causing the weight loss. I was seen by and consulted with 16 different doctors during this period and no one was concerned about weight loss saying it was only anxiety. They assured me all of my symptoms (suddenly irregular periods and cloudy urine) were caused by anxiety. That said, over the next couple of months They obliged me with a chest X-ray, a pelvic ultrasound, blood work, an ultrasound of my bladder, an endometrial biopsy, a CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis, an MRI of my chest, a colonoscopy and a laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian cyst which my doctor had correctly identified as benign. All came back normal. At that point, I was placed on Ativan. My weight immediately increased by 4 pounds. By November I began to worry about becoming addicted to the Ativan and discontinued it. Since that time, my weight has slowly started decreasing again. Over the Holidays, I found some enlarged lymph nodes in my groin. I immediately ran to my doctor who was not concerned but ordered an ultrasound to put me at ease. Again, I told her I was loosing weight and she said not a concern just anxiety. The results of ultrasound came back and she again said no concern. In response, I had my lymph nodes examined and tests reviewed by 2 of my friends who are surgeons- they too were not concerned. I forwarded everything to my oncologist and he too was unconcerned.
My question is- does this sound like Health Anxiety??????Also, has anyone experienced weight loss with health anxiety in spite of eating normally.
Sorry for the long story. I would appreciate any input.

duke27
20-01-17, 14:18
Hi, I have lost about 3 stone in the space of about 6 months. Of course I keep telling myself it's something more sinister x

Annietere
20-01-17, 14:25
Duke27,
Have you been eating normally during this time?

Elen
20-01-17, 14:44
ok

1. You were anxious and started losing weight.

2. You stopped taking the anxiety meds

3. You are again anxious and losing weight

Logically what does this tell you about what is happening?

Yes you were correct that long term use of Activan is not a solution but finding a way to deal with your anxiety whether it be through meds, therapy or mindfulness will be the way to go here.

And yes being anxious requires calories so it can lead to weight loss.