PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my swollen lymph node go?

Mav
20-01-17, 17:50
It's been over month, it popped up with no apparent signs of infection and although it seems the tiniest bit less obvious. It's just causing me so much stress because it hasn't gone, it almost feels slightly grainy when I press on it hard.

I don't even think it's a shotty node or anything and the stress is driving me up the wall. :weep:

Still haven't called the doctor for blood results and chest X-ray but I most likely have the all clear otherwise they would have called. :(

WHY WON'T IT LEAVE MY NECK IF IT ISN'T HARMFUL?

Nicnac5
20-01-17, 18:21
I've had once since start of December and am wondering the same thing

Fishmanpa
20-01-17, 18:35
WHY WON'T IT LEAVE MY NECK IF IT ISN'T HARMFUL?

Because that's where they're located! It's never going to leave and may just stay the same. There's no doubt you're poking and prodding, "pressing it hard" and that's keeping it from resolving to the size it will eventually get to and maybe it's there now due to all the poking and prodding you've done. Guess what? It's not sinister and you're just going to have to live with it.

Positive thoughts

Mav
20-01-17, 18:55
I've had once since start of December and am wondering the same thing

In your neck?

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Because that's where they're located! It's never going to leave and may just stay the same. There's no doubt you're poking and prodding, "pressing it hard" and that's keeping it from resolving to the size it will eventually get to and maybe it's there now due to all the poking and prodding you've done. Guess what? It's not sinister and you're just going to have to live with it.

Positive thoughts

Maybe you're right but I can't help but feel like it is sinister the longer it stays enlarged.

I mean it isn't particularly large and at certain angles I struggle to feel it properly but at other angles (twisting and tensing my neck) I can see it protrude. That makes me feel really stressed. :weep:

Fishmanpa
20-01-17, 19:18
Maybe you're right but I can't help but feel like it is sinister the longer it stays enlarged.

I mean it isn't particularly large and at certain angles I struggle to feel it properly but at other angles (twisting and tensing my neck) I can see it protrude. That makes me feel really stressed. :weep:

This was talked about in other threads. The anxious mind tends to create a skewed perception of reality. Just like an anorexic looks in the mirror and sees a overweight person, the same thing is happening to you with your nodes. Couple that with the fact that you're calling it swollen when technically and in reality it's not. What that does is psychologically affirm your false reality and belief.

I assure you, if it were swollen you wouldn't have to turn your head at weird specific angles to see it. Been there, done that, have the scars to prove it!

Positive thoughts

TimeSoup
20-01-17, 23:59
What you need is to pay a visit to your regular MD and have your node checked.

Fishmanpa
21-01-17, 00:34
What you need is to pay a visit to your regular MD and have your node checked.

It's been checked and all is clear. Paid reassurance as well as unpaid reassurance is detrimental to healing.

Positive thoughts

Mav
22-01-17, 12:31

Positive thoughts

I'm banning myself from touching it because I know my pressing and checking how moveable it is is probaby causing it harm.

I wont touch for a few weeks and then I will check if it has gone down. If it doesn't go down in another month or so I'm going to go back to the doctor because it scares me how I can actually see the node and the bulge it's creating at certain angles, and even slightly when my head is straight. To be honest that has more to do with it's location and it pushing on the muscles rather than the size of it which I guess is good news. But still terrifying to see.

I am doing slightly better than when I first found it so I guess that is good.