PDA

View Full Version : Question on alternative to Olanzapine

Barnabas75
20-01-17, 22:18
Hello there. Just have a question. After taking seroquel 100mgs for just over 3 years they stopped having the desired effect. That is, they stopped helping me fall asleep. The seroquel was excellent until it stopped working. So eventually 2 months ago, after severe insomnia again I was told to take 5mgs of Olanzipine. It gets me off to sleep, but only for a few hours. 3-4. I have some fears about taking the olanzipine because unlike the seroquel at low doses this new medication works on dopamine receptors. As well as getting overweight and the increased risk of diabetes makes me reluctant to take it. Does anyone know of any alternatives so that when I next see the Doctor, which hopefully is on Tuesday I will have some ideas to take with me ?..Currently I take 10mgs of Cipralex in the morning to treat panic and depression. Thanks in advance. I know we are not Doctors but we can share our thoughts and experience. Appreciate it.

Mermaid16
21-01-17, 04:40
Hi Greg, you could try a low dose of Mirtazapine. Although like Olanzapine it has been related to weight gain (not sure about diabetes). I was prescribed it mainly for insomnia, it is helpful depression I believe, I found that it had no effect on my anxiety. Am currently still taking 15mg.

Barnabas75
21-01-17, 13:29
Hi Mermaid, thanks for the reply. I did ask about Mirt 2 months ago when I saw the Doctor. He said no. I will ask again as I know Mirt can help with the all the things I struggle with including insomnia. It would be so much better to just take one tablet at night that covered everything. And Mirtazipine seems to do that, so I am not sure why they gave me this combo. :weep:

panic_down_under
22-01-17, 22:34
After taking seroquel 100mgs for just over 3 years they stopped having the desired effect. That is, they stopped helping me fall asleep.

So you were only taking Seroquel for insomnia? If so, ask for immediate-release trazodone (Desyrel). It is a very sedating antidepressant which these days is mostly prescribed at low doses for insomnia, particularly SSRI induced insomnia.

It has only a very short half-life, about 3-5 hours, so, unlike with Seroquel, the sedation does not usually continue into the next day. It may also counter some SSRI side-effects.

Trazodone becomes less sedating as the dose increases so taking more than 100mg is usually counterproductive. Most get good results from 25-50mg.

Barnabas75
22-01-17, 23:10
Thanks panic down under. I went to the emergency today at the local hospital here and saw the doctor. I still get insomnia even with 10mgs of olanzipine No difference between 5 or 10mgs..He refused to change my medication. I have been getting intense suicidal thoughts since starting cipralex and explained all that. I am going to go private even if it costs more for a better service. I mentioned mirtazipine as I have heard how much it has helped some on here with their sleep..To me it makes sense to be on one medication like Mirt which covers all the things I battle with instead of a cocktail of meds.and I have heard trazadone helps as well. So will bring that up when I go. Yes I was only taking seroquel for insomnia. It works on histamine at low doses and only above 150mgs does it treat different disorders. Olanzipine is different as at any dose it treats disorders. I find it does not have anywhere near the sedating effect seroquel had. I soppose people are different but that is how it was for me.

panic_down_under
23-01-17, 01:38
To me it makes sense to be on one medication like Mirt which covers all the things I battle with instead of a cocktail of meds

I'm not a fan of mirtazapine. It seem to be pretty much just an antihistamine. Its main claim to fame is that it will often pull those with very severe, almost catatonic, depression back from the brink, but it has no real advantage over other antidepressants for less severe problems, and two significant disadvantages. It can trigger powerful waist expanding carbohydrate cravings to the point some will eat sugar straight from the bag, and it is by far the most poop-out prone med often failing within a few months.

It works on histamine at low doses and only above 150mgs does it treat different disorders.

Trazodone acts much the same, a powerful antihistamine at low doses, only beginning to function as an antidepressant at around 200mg. It also has far fewer potential side-effects than Seroquel and, as previously mentioned, may ease some SSRI side-effects.

Barnabas75
23-01-17, 13:44
Thanks again. I will mention trazadone next time. I was also given lyrica as an alternative. :)

panic_down_under
23-01-17, 22:19
Thanks again. I will mention trazadone next time. I was also given lyrica as an alternative. :)

For insomnia? Sigh! :ohmy: