PDA

View Full Version : I'm extremely pissed off about an obsession

Ljj44577
20-01-17, 22:47
I recently registered an account on a different forum on the internet. It was a social anxiety forum. When I registered the account, I saw a number (I keep associating this number with bad luck or something bad happening). I don't want to say what it is. I feel like I could bring these thoughts to life. There are certain numbers that I keep associating with bad luck or something bad happening.

When I saw this particular number, I got extremely angry. Out of all the random possible numbers I could have seen, it had to be that SPECIFIC number. I feel like this number could be predicting something. I'm just hoping that my mind is being irrational.

I know this might sound dumb and crazy, but these thoughts are so real to me. I freaking hate them.

MyNameIsTerry
21-01-17, 05:38
It's called Magical Thinking. I've had loads of it with my OCD.

Rationally you know it's just a number but it is a trigger to your fear and you likely respond with compulsions to eliminate it's possible threat as well as the usual anxiety responses like avoidance, fear reaction, etc.

Do you have mental or physical compulsions? You might find them to be equally irrational e.g. having to touch something to make things feel "just right" and possibly multiple applications of it or overlaps with imagery.

Thoughts don't equal actions. If they did, we would be able to harm each other with them like in films. They only become part of the physical world if we choose to bring them to it, which we won't as we fear them.

Superstition is often found in this thinking. It's like "touch wood" gone into overdrive, which much of OCD is anyway.

Reacting with frustration is a negative reaction. Negative reactions reinforce these types of thoughts. This is why learning to react with positive/neutral works to beat them. When you show your subconscious that you don't care, it learns that sending these thoughts is pointless so mothballs them.

It's just a number, you know this rationally, your subconscious has learned to associate it with these feared beliefs. Once you train it otherwise, the issue fades away.