PDA

View Full Version : ALS fear

Timur9717
21-01-17, 19:13
Hi my name is Timur,

Firstly I am 19 year old male. I am generally prone to anxiety and recently experinced periods of anxiety. Today in the morning I experinced a weird weakness in all muscles including leg, arm, whirst and even neck. It get worse then I read about ALS. It is not like I lost ability to do something. It is just a incomfortable feeling in the muscles like they are weak and uncontrollable. I feel like they are more heavy than normal, like it is harder to control them. But this doesn't result in funciton loss as I can play basketball or do other activities. It is like overall dizyness in muscles. This feeling is accompanied with nail biting that seems to done automaticaly by me than I worry about ALS. I was experincing nothing like this until today. Plus 1-2 days ago I food poisoned and vomited and didn't eat properly 2-3 days. Can this explain overall weakness in muscles?

darkside4k
21-01-17, 19:15
ALS would not effect all of your muscles at the same time. Doesn't work that way. You don't have it.

ServerError
21-01-17, 19:16
Perhaps you're just tired? Stressed? Not eating right? Experiencing psychosomatic symptoms? Impossible to say, but it sounds benign.

It absolutely does not sound anything like how ALS presents. You don't have ALS.

Is it ALS season at the moment?

Colicab85
21-01-17, 19:28
Yea definitely. Food poisoning can really take it out of you.

Plus, ALS wouldn't attack every muscle at once. It simply is impossible and you definitely don't have ALS.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Perhaps you're just tired? Stressed? Not eating right? Experiencing psychosomatic symptoms? Impossible to say, but it sounds benign.

It absolutely does not sound anything like how ALS presents. You don't have ALS.

Is it ALS season at the moment?

Seems it. Wonder why.

Timur9717
21-01-17, 19:35
Thank you for answers. I know that i sound stupid but that anxiety I experienced today was very overwhelming. People are worring mostly about ALS because it's symptoms can be easily generated by anxiety and ALS is a terrible disease! Despite knowing this, my anxious mind always finds scary thougts.

Last question about ALS:
Does this ilness start from a specific muscle, say right arm. Or can its onset be on both arms and both legs at the same time?

Nzxt27
21-01-17, 19:43
ALS is failing not feeling. Means you still have control of these muscles which is not ALS. Maybe sore maybe tired but you can still control them.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Thank you for answers. I know that i sound stupid but that anxiety I experienced today was very overwhelming. People are worring mostly about ALS because it's symptoms can be easily generated by anxiety and ALS is a terrible disease! Despite knowing this, my anxious mind always finds scary thougts.

Last question about ALS:
Does this ilness start from a specific muscle, say right arm. Or can its onset be on both arms and both legs at the same time?

As far as I know it starts in one limb usually. I think very rarely it can start in both limbs at one time. and I don't think it starts in arm and leg at same time.

And like you said your anxious mind is thinking the worst. Anxious mind equal anxiety. And if you haven't seen most people on this site has worried about having ALS at some time or another.

Timur9717
21-01-17, 19:54
This feeling is on all 4 limbs and it all started this morning.

Hancock
21-01-17, 19:59
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=193625

Lots of good information on this thread that was started the other day. It should help clear up any questions you may have. I would type out my responses again but I don't want to sound like a broken record ;)

Mummybee
21-01-17, 21:07
Not ALS, you're safe
Most likely just weak from being unwell.
I also get jelly muscle/ weakness feelings when my anxiety is peaking.
Just rest up and get some strength back.

Fishmanpa
21-01-17, 21:29
ALS is summed up in three words...

Failing not Feeling.

Positive thoughts

Josh1234
22-01-17, 05:42
stopped reading at Im 19.

Hancock
22-01-17, 05:54
stopped reading at Im 19.

Josh omg :roflmao:

Josh1234
22-01-17, 06:08
Josh omg :roflmao:

I mean, hey, just being honest here :shades:

nivekc251
22-01-17, 06:46
I did the same lol I saw it made it to 3 pages and read the last one

Timur9717
22-01-17, 11:36
Why did you stop reading when you saw I am 19 years old? Is it impossible this ilness to to occur during this age?

Nzxt27
22-01-17, 12:16
Why did you stop reading when you saw I am 19 years old? Is it impossible this ilness to to occur during this age?

Very rare disease anyways. The younger the more rarer it would be. Impossible to get at 19 no. But very very very very highly unlikely. And you must have anxiety because your here, which would mean you join hundred or thousands of others who have the same worry. I swear ALS is got to be the number 1 worry with anxiety suffers.

Colicab85
22-01-17, 14:19
That and brain tumours.

Fishmanpa
22-01-17, 15:08
Let's not forget nodes... It's been ALS and node month on NMP lately!

OP: Not being cheeky but as Josh said, at 19? Nah... And you are posting this "fear" on an anxiety forum after all. Of all the ALS posts I've read on different forums, not one... not one... has turned out to be the case and you won't be the first.

Positive thoughts

Timur9717
22-01-17, 15:45
Thank you for support. I will go to a physologist tomorrow with all that anxiety stuff. The inbalance that I experienced yesterday has gone. The tension in muscles changes over time. Sometimes there is a tension in my whirst, sometimes in leg. It is not constant. Sometimes in other muscles. It sounds indeed like typical anxiety syndrome. But anxious brains always try to find new fears, symptoms etc. My brain still fears ALS and write new scary scenarios that are irrational.

Note: None of the symptoms except overall dizyness and imbalance sensation( which has gone now) were present before I started thinking about ALS.

Josh1234
22-01-17, 15:49
I've heard of like 3 cases ever that young. You have a better chance of Godzilla stomping on your city.

Fishmanpa
22-01-17, 15:54
Thank you for support. I will go to a physologist tomorrow with all that anxiety stuff.

:yesyes: Learning how to deal with the irrational thoughts and having those tools at your disposal moving ahead will end up helping you live a long and hopefully anxiety free life.

Positive thoughts

Timur9717
29-01-17, 09:59
Now, I am nearly fully recovered from that stupid fear. I must inform you that all symptoms are gone. All these symptoms were just anxiety symptoms. If an ALS fearer is reding this, I want to say that it is most irrational and most time-wasting fear ever. ıF YOU CAN USE YOUR ARM OR LEG IT IS ANXİETY NOT ALS.

Fishmanpa
29-01-17, 15:05
Now, I am nearly fully recovered from that stupid fear. I must inform you that all symptoms are gone. All these symptoms were just anxiety symptoms. If an ALS fearer is reding this, I want to say that it is most irrational and most time-wasting fear ever. ıF YOU CAN USE YOUR ARM OR LEG IT IS ANXİETY NOT ALS.

Great post! I hope others will read this and take in this advice and experience!

Positive thoughts