PDA

View Full Version : Scared a family member has cancer??

lemongrassbee
22-01-17, 19:50
Hi all, new to this but I thought I'd post and hopefully gain some advice / reassurance.

Basically, my dad has had a cough now for about a month. Less of a proper 'cough' and more an act of clearing his throat. However, about a week and a half ago he got a really bad cold/flu bug that's been doing the rounds and since then his cough has been really horrible sounding...almost wheezy at the end of it? He's also been really tired lately (he cycles about 1x a week).

I keep getting myself into this thought process that the cough + tiredness must = lung cancer!! I'm terrified...he hasn't been to the doctors. I believe both he and my mum are not particularly worried about it (my mum is an ex-nurse btw if that adds anything). He's a non-smoker, only used to smoke in his teens but i don't believe he's smoked for at least 25 years. He's very fit, like I said he cycles and has done so in triathlons, he used to run too. He's 54. As far as I'm aware,there's no history of lung cancer inhis family.

Please,can anyone give me some reassurance or some rational thinking?

Catherine S
22-01-17, 20:59
Yes, there's been a nasty virus going around since before Christmas and the main symptom is a hacking cough, which lingers on and on. Alot of people have been suffering with this, including the Queen if you're up to date with the news. Also, your mum being a nurse would know if it was anything more serious than this virus. I'm sure she would persuade your dad to see a doctor if she was worried. If your parents are not worried, you shouldn't worry about it either.

ISB :)

Sphincterclench
23-01-17, 01:32
of that entire statement what stands out to me is that your mother is a nurse, she above all would know when its time to intervene. Maybe talk about your concerns with her?

BikerMatt
23-01-17, 01:55
Yes, there's been a nasty virus going around since before Christmas and the main symptom is a hacking cough, which lingers on and on. Alot of people have been suffering with this, including the Queen if you're up to date with the news. Also, your mum being a nurse would know if it was anything more serious than this virus. I'm sure she would persuade your dad to see a doctor if she was worried. If your parents are not worried, you shouldn't worry about it either.

ISB :)

Agree with ISB. My entire family have had it and it's gone on and on. Some having a hacking cough for 2 months.