PDA

View Full Version : Exams Anxiety

ToughGuy
23-01-17, 12:28
I need your help… I’ve been suffering from anxiety since 2014, when I failed my first exam. Now this fear is even more powerful than me, I can’t control that. I can’t prepare for exams, because when I even try to open a book, I feel terrible… My heart starts to beat so fast, my hands are trembling and I wanna jump from the window… So I can’t prepare for exams, this is intolerable..
I’m afraid to visit a doctor, because they’ll send me to a clinic…
What can I do?

SLA
23-01-17, 12:34
Now this fear is even more powerful than me, I can’t control that.

I guess your screwed then?

If you could imagine a solution what would it look like?

Citydeer
23-01-17, 22:40
I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time. There's a whole lot of "I can't"s in your post, and honestly the first step you need to take to address your anxiety is to stop using that word. you CAN :). That doesn't mean it will be easy, but if you think you "can't", you've already given up.

Your biggest fear in this scenario is failure. Well there is one thing that you know for sure...unless you study, you can be certain that you will fail. So at the time of writing your worst fear has already come true.

Right now you have two choices: your current one, which is certain failure of the exam due to not attempting the study. the second choice is to at least attempt the study, and knowing that by doing you have much more likelihood of passing than if you do no study at all.

I know how you feel and how hard feels at the time. I developed panic disorder during my time as a student. I know first hand that we can be our own worst enemies when it comes to study-related fears... we worry so much we don't even begin! I would get so emotionally exhausted that i could sleep for 15 hours a day during exam periods. The BEST advice I can give is to break your study into TINY blocks. Don't feel like you have to achieve competence in your exam subject in one sitting or day. If you bite off more than you can chew - or mentally handle - you will not make progress with your exam prep. give yourself small, manageable goals and don't overdo it.

Good luck

ToughGuy
24-01-17, 12:01
Thanks for reply! You know, I heard a lot about treating anxiety with smoking weed, but I don't know about effects... I'm afraid of being addictive to it.. What do you think about this article? Shall I visit their doctor?
420-evaluations.com/treat-anxiety-medical-marijuana

TimeSoup
24-01-17, 12:09
Here's what you gonna do.
You'll take one of them pesky books that you're having so much trouble opening and studying and you do the following: put your book flat on the table opened at a page that you 'have to study'. Deploy sheets of papers and pens and whatever needed for 'studying', taking notes, blah blab.
Now, start a stopwatch for a 15 minutes gap and do as you would do if you were studying. Mimic yourself as studying, play the student, the good one, read stuff, take notes, carve important points into your memory. Don't panic, you know you're in there for only 15 minutes.
Once the ring bells and your round is spent, just take a debrief: was it that hard? did I actually learn someting out of it (of course you did a little), etc.
And it did so happen that you studyied for 15 minutes without panicking or feeling bad.
Resume doing that in slices of 15 or 30 minutes. After a day or so, you'll be on your tracks and used to it.

Citydeer
24-01-17, 18:41
Thanks for reply! You know, I heard a lot about treating anxiety with smoking weed, but I don't know about effects... I'm afraid of being addictive to it.. What do you think about this article? Shall I visit their doctor?
420-evaluations.com/treat-anxiety-medical-marijuana

There's no magic pill or plant that completely cures anxiety. You need to address the root cause. You've identified that the cause is your fear of failing again after failing an exam in 2014. You now need to find ways to overcome that fear by breaking your study into more manageable pieces. We've given you some tips, you should try them before jumping straight to things like medicinal weed ... Its very difficult to study when you're stoned, and as soon as the effects wear off your anxiety would come back because you haven't dealt with the underlying issue. Do you have a friend or someone in your life who could sit with you and help you study? Does your college provide any study support services? This would also be worth looking into.