PDA

View Full Version : Heart palpiations. ..

bingjam
23-01-17, 19:51
It's been a while but I've just been in the bath and had a horrible big skipped best followed by a few palpitations and a sort of head rush too...

I had to jump out of the bath cause i thought I was going to pass out.

Now I'm sitting here freaking out that my heart is going to stop, I have a sort of tightness in my chest too....

At palps dangerous?

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

I'm really freaking out now... just had had another one... my hearts going to stop!

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

I've got a fullness in my chest now too...

PanickyGuy
23-01-17, 20:43
You got any anti-anxiety meds like Xanax or Ativan? Take one of those and see if that slows it down, if you got any. I would highly recommend getting some anti-anxiety meds if you don't and CBT as well.

BTW, no one has ever died from a panic attack.

ServerError
23-01-17, 21:12
It's actually very common to feel palpitations and lightheadedness after a hot bath. You don't need an anxiety disorder for it to happen either.

To answer your question, in a healthy person, palpitations are not remotely dangerous. They're a normal function of the heart. It's just adrenaline and vagus nerve activity. Your hyper-focus on your chest makes it feel worse than it is, and you're anxiety means you're prone to catastrophic thinking such as "my heart is going to stop."

For the human heart to stop, there needs to be some underlying disease, whether hereditary or otherwise. Diseases of the heart are generally not that difficult for doctors to diagnose. If your diagnosis is anxiety, you can rest assured that you're just experiencing a bit of heart fluttering caused by adrenaline triggered by your bath and your anxious thought processes. You won't come to any harm, I assure you.

The Googlepocalypse
23-01-17, 21:13
Hi bingjam

I also suffer palpatations daily, some worse than others and it's definitely not a pleasant experience.

I know this sounds silly because it feels very real to you right now but don't panic! Anxiety attacks and panic attacks cannot hurt you despite how awful they feel!

A good exercise is to breathe in through the nose, count to 4, hold it for 2 and then slowly breathe out through the mouth!

I'm not sure if you've had the problem before but it might be worth speaking to your doctor about. I can say through experience that your heart is definitely not going to stop. That fullness in your chest sounds to me like the onset of a panic attack, just try to keep your breathing under control and if possible, do something to distract yourself, like going a short walk or doing something you enjoy, it really helps I promise!

bingjam
23-01-17, 22:12
You got any anti-anxiety meds like Xanax or Ativan? Take one of those and see if that slows it down, if you got any. I would highly recommend getting some anti-anxiety meds if you don't and CBT as well.

BTW, no one has ever died from a panic attack.

Hi I've had anxiety and panic attacksfor about 9 years I've been doing okfor a while but seems as though it's getting bad again. I don't take any sort of medication. Not even paracetamol. I just dont trust whats in them and don't like the thought of putting them in my body. And it doesn't make it easier that I have huge phobia of swallowing tablets. I physically cant do it

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

It's actually very common to feel palpitations and lightheadedness after a hot bath. You don't need an anxiety disorder for it to happen either.

To answer your question, in a healthy person, palpitations are not remotely dangerous. They're a normal function of the heart. It's just adrenaline and vagus nerve activity. Your hyper-focus on your chest makes it feel worse than it is, and you're anxiety means you're prone to catastrophic thinking such as "my heart is going to stop."

For the human heart to stop, there needs to be some underlying disease, whether hereditary or otherwise. Diseases of the heart are generally not that difficult for doctors to diagnose. If your diagnosis is anxiety, you can rest assured that you're just experiencing a bit of heart fluttering caused by adrenaline triggered by your bath and your anxious thought processes. You won't come to any harm, I assure you.

I had a bad time with palps in the past and i got myself to the doctors and broke down and thought I was dying. They did a ecgand basically said it was all anxiety. But I do wounder of I have an underlying heart problem and that's what the palps are

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Hi bingjam

I also suffer palpatations daily, some worse than others and it's definitely not a pleasant experience.

I know this sounds silly because it feels very real to you right now but don't panic! Anxiety attacks and panic attacks cannot hurt you despite how awful they feel!

A good exercise is to breathe in through the nose, count to 4, hold it for 2 and then slowly breathe out through the mouth!

I'm not sure if you've had the problem before but it might be worth speaking to your doctor about. I can say through experience that your heart is definitely not going to stop. That fullness in your chest sounds to me like the onset of a panic attack, just try to keep your breathing under control and if possible, do something to distract yourself, like going a short walk or doing something you enjoy, it really helps I promise!

I feel so silly now for the post. I'm currently tucked up in bed watching friends and feel totally fine.... touch wood ... I just dont know what comes over me when I get it in my head that the palps aren't normal .. everytime I have them I'm certain that I have a heart problem and somethings going to happen... same as when inhave a panic attack. I know it's only a panic attack but I make myself worse through thinking it's something else. I it can't win

ServerError
23-01-17, 22:20
They did a ecgand basically said it was all anxiety. But I do wounder of I have an underlying heart problem and that's what the palps are

This gets right to the nub of the issue, really. I mean, I'm sure you don't need to tell you that anxiety involves this kind of twisted, irrational thinking. After all, why would gold standard medical tests be wrong, but your general "wondering" be right?

That's a question to put to yourself, by the way. You've had the tests that show your heart is fine. Therefore, what do you conclude to be the reason that your issues continue? And what can you do to tackle those issues?

Also, when you say "I can't win", you don't know how right you are. You can't win. At least not in the conventional sense. There are many forms of therapy and medication out there, but nobody who recovered will tell you they did so by fighting the sensations and thoughts that come with anxiety. Basically, you cannot fight this thing, and if you do fight it, it will consume you. Think about - has fighting it ever truly helped you? Your job here is to accept your situation as it is now, and to live your life as best you can anyway. By all means seek treatment, but I would urge you to stop fighting your weary mind and body. The thing with anxiety is this: there isn't anything to fight.