PDA

View Full Version : Ways to cope with a partner who suffers with anxiety

Emotionallydrained!
23-01-17, 21:44
I'm struggling I'm not gonna lie. It seems times he'll let me in others he won't.

He's currently having a bad patch. But I'm made to feel like all the problems are caused by me. The same thing happened around the same time last year.

How do you deal with it? Everything I do only seems to make it worse

Please help

Panicer
23-01-17, 21:55
Hi

My partner asked me a while back how she could help me with my anxiety and I found this article that helped both of us. I can't post the link as I'm too new on here but if you google (When Someone You Love Has Anxiety) it should be the first hit, hope it helps you both and good luck

Emotionallydrained!
23-01-17, 22:20
Hi

My partner asked me a while back how she could help me with my anxiety and I found this article that helped both of us. I can't post the link as I'm too new on here but if you google (When Someone You Love Has Anxiety) it should be the first hit, hope it helps you both and good luck

I have actually read that article before. As I said this isn't something new to us. He refuses to let me in, won't talk to me about what's bothering him and pushes me away no matter how much I try. He's currently sat in his room ignoring me.

I don't think he realises he's pushing me away (or maybe he does) last time it didn't end well. I just feel like we are going down the same path. Bit this time there is no way back!

Panicer
23-01-17, 22:40
I'm sorry to hear that. I too need some time on my own quite often, mainly because I feel my head is about to explode but I try to let my partner know it's not her, it's me that has the problem. We sat down one evening when I was in a better state and had a long talk about what we needed from each other. My partner was desperate to support me and I felt really bad that I was being of little or no support to her at the time. It really cleared the air and we both now have a better understanding of what the other can be going through.

beatroon
24-01-17, 15:14
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. In the past, when I've been bad, I have also found myself wanting to hide, and not wanting to talk to my partner about it, but it is really essential to discuss what's going on, to avoid unnecessary stress for you both. I've found it to be good when my partner gently checks in with me, something like: 'I notice you're not quite yourself these days, is it anything I can help with? Would it be helpful to talk to someone else about it, and if so, who?' Etc. At the end of the day, you can't force someone to talk to you, but it's the responsibility of the anxious/unwell person to make an effort to treat their own condition, so hopefully your partner will respond well to a little gentle nudge in the right direction. Wishing you lots and lots of luck.

CeeJayBee
27-01-17, 15:10
Please if you get any tips I need to read too.

I'm being pushed away by my GF and she doesn't even realise. She even said, when I got upset the other night, "please tell me if I've done anything to make you feel unwanted". She can't see that when she bottles it up and gets moody that it breaks my heart... just closes up and doesn't show me any affection anymore....