PDA

View Full Version : 5mg don't touch the sides...

Benjammin69
24-01-17, 08:26
Hi ,

My doctor has given me 28 5mg tablets to take as required - as I am reducing off of mirtazapine and start up of seroquel. I also have oxazepam 10mg per day all are prescribed...

I do not take both oxazepam and diazepam together and I have only taken 2 diazepam since they were prescribed last Monday but they don't seem to do anything! Genuinely my brain is still focusing on anxiety and to a point I expect them to do something and it doesn't..

Should I bin them or talk to doc about maybe taking 10mg as required?

I dont use the diazepam daily only for extreme circumstances.

Thanks

Shazamataz
24-01-17, 09:45
5 mg diazepam should do a pretty good job of reducing anxiety, BUT if your body is already used to having a benzo it may not work as well. I'm a bit confused by the daily oxazepam as it has a really short half life so doesn't work for very long. Are you sure you are supposed to have them both? If you are on daily oxazepam and then miss one to take a diazepam instead this may disrupt your system.

10 mg is a reasonably high dose of diazepam so I'd avoid going there unless you are desperate.

I am no expert but have ended up on a low dose of diazepam for over a year now (was on 4 mg and got down to 2 in mid 2016). It stopped working after a fairly short time but I was avoiding withdrawal while changing other meds. Coming off at the moment and it's not much fun.

I've successfully come off Mirtazapine as it didn't do much good at all. Just take it wlow and good luck!!!

Benjammin69
24-01-17, 11:20
Hi shazamataz thanks for your reply.

I think the doc started the oxazepam in November to help me with my morning anxiety as I take 1 in the am, the 5mg just doesn't seem to work to be honest. My thoughts are still chaotic and I still get physical symptoms too.

I think the ox is quite a low dose and the Diaz was meant to help me in extreme panic situations.. but it doesn't seem to be doing its job.

If you don't mind me asking how did you come off
Mirtazapine ? Was it a bumpy ride? I've reduced 45 to 30 Lqst week

Shazamataz
24-01-17, 21:00
Hi Benjamin,

I came off Mirt slowly. We only have 30mg tablets here so I had to do it by quarters. I think I reduced 1/4 every two weeks and my main issue was with not sleeping, even though the Mirt didn't really help with sleep, going off made sleep worse. I had a few withdrawal effects, mostly twitching when trying to sleep and some body vibrations when resting. probably similar to the brain zaps you get with SSRIS. My anxiety did not get any worse but then the Mirt never helped with that anyway.

In the past, when all this started for me just over a year ago and I was having massive panic attacks I found diazepam didn't do anything at all. I think I took 10 mg one time and it did nothing. Definitely don't take it if it doesn't help as it just creates it's own issues.