PDA

View Full Version : Read something I didn't want to. (Don't read if easily triggered)

TomsThoughts
24-01-17, 18:53
So I'm currently doing CBT and it's coming to my second session tomorrow.

I was handed some booklets to read so I could see which I was most linked to. I had a anxiety one which ticked a lot of boxes, a depression one which I had a couple and a OCD one which I also had a couple.

The OCD one had a symptom in saying "do you image loved ones dead"

And since reading it I'm really anxious with unwanted images in my head I read it about 15 mins ago

Now I'm thinking I have OCD and I will forever have these images

ellie_C_mason1990
24-01-17, 19:36
Hi
I had similar thoughts and images a few years ago. Terrified of the death of my loved ones to the point I had to battle against intrusive thoughts and images at every point of the day.

The one thing I will say is it MIGHT not be a problem. You are already in an anxious state (hence your brave step to take CBT) so you are already on high alert/ highly susceptible to sensitive information/thoughts/images. You are already in CBT and this may pass.

if it becomes a problem, please don't worry, it DOES get better eventually. There will be times when these images/thoughts don't creep into your mind.

I have OCD symptoms and intrusive thoughts/images but there are coping techniques. Meditation and mindfulness practice helped me loads. Daily practice and focus helped change my thought processes to not always worrying about the bigger picture/ what might happen and anchor my focus on day to day life and what I can do to make today special and worthwhile. After practicing it, I hardly ever have these thoughts or images.

OCD and intrusive thoughts/images is very common and there is a lot of support on the internet for you, if it ever developed. But CBT may quickly nip it in the bud :)

Take care of yourself and good luck with CBT.

Stecakes
24-01-17, 19:40
99percent of the population can meet the criteria for every disorder
At certain times.
These score rating self tests aren't worth the paper there're on.
People are all completely unique, We're not machines, and we can't be so easily predicted like them.

MyNameIsTerry
25-01-17, 05:40
You can't get OCD by reading a sentence, it would be a worldwide epidemic if you could.

It's just triggered your anxiety and brought on some intrusive thoughts. As has been said, all people can experience them so it's also possible to have any other anxiety disorder with these yet they are not enough for an OCD diagnosis. See what the CBT therapist thinks.

It's like how the harm assessment form has questions about suicide and how that triggers some people's anxiety and they worry about harming themselves. It has scared you and you are focused on it. It made go on it's own as your anxiety settles back down or it may be that it's just another intrusive thought theme (I can't remember without checking your post history but I know we've spoke before) that your therapist will aim to address.

There is nothing remotely triggering about your thread so don't worry about others.