PDA

View Full Version : fear of upcoming trip

ellie_C_mason1990
24-01-17, 19:08
Hi everyone
I am currently very anxious at the moment as I have been asked to go to Japan in April. I work with children with special needs and a child's Mum (who is Japanese) that I used to know has asked if I would go with her to visit her ageing parents as she is too nervous to go on a plane with him on her own (he has severe autism.) I have agreed as I want to help and I feel I should not live my life defined by fear but of course I am incredibly anxious about the following things:
1. Flying- I am TERRIFIED of flying. I will get on the plane but will have a really shit time. and Japan is hours away. I am thinking of booking onto one of the Virgin flying without fear courses but until then I have been crying every morning imagining my imminent fiery death in the sky.
2. Natural disasters- I read that Japan has earthquakes like everyday. And these bring on tsunamis. So I am anxious thinking about death by natural disaster.
3. Feeling completely alienated in a country on the other side of the world, away from my parents (I'm only just managing to cope moving to a different city.) The idea makes me feel sick to my stomach.

This is an amazing opportunity to explore the world but I am ruining it because I am so nervous about the worst case scenario. Does anyone have any tips of how to cope before the trip/stories about how amazing Japan is so I can start being excited instead of being a nervous wreck?

Many thanks if you can help
Eleanor

roseanxiety
25-01-17, 12:56
Are you on meds? Can you ask your doctor for some Xanax to help you get through the trip? I flew to Italy from the US on Xanax and it REALLY helped. I am terrified of flying too.
This sounds like it could be a wonderful experience for you. I hope you don't miss out.

ellie_C_mason1990
25-01-17, 17:05
Hey
Thank you for your reply. Nothing currently. I took valium before on a flight but think dose was too low. I've never heard of Xanax just looked it up and haven't heard of its English equivalent. I have a doctor's appointment next week so if I have time (long list of medical complaints) I will ask. I was going to ask about medication anyway as I've been getting panic attacks more regularly. My friendsister with panic attacks get beta blockers but they won't give me any as I have asthma?!

owenjames
25-01-17, 17:33
I share your fear of flying but see your doctor and get some Valium prescribed. I was terrified but the more I fly the better it is getting, even though I don't enjoy it.

The planes to Japan are big. Last Easter we took a hop to Amsterdam on a little plane before picking up a connection to Tokyo. The little plane was TERRIFYING but the big one was fine.

Japan is an amazing place - don't miss this chance of a lifetime. They are a lovely people and you won't feel at all intimidated - they are a gentle people and very welcoming you will have a great time believe me!

ellie_C_mason1990
25-01-17, 19:23
Thank you owenjames. yes that's what I keep telling myself, I will kick myself if I don't go! I spoke to a friend too who has been before and she said it was the best place she has ever been to.

I'm feeling a bit better about it. I'm dreading it but I read somewhere this anxiety is just a representation of my own personal anxieties, I am not in any real danger by getting a flight. At least this fear is taking my mind off my health anxiety!

I just don't understand HOW something so big can get in the air but I need to practice surrendering control !!

up a ladder
26-01-17, 22:18
I too am scared witless of flying. Not because of the plane dropping from the sky but the fealing of being trapped. This has affected me on a few flights, but by a huge, huge margin, the antisipation is far worse that the actual event. I do find valium a great help but think I over did it and my kids got annoyed with me singing along to my mp3 player.
What upsets me is that once I get on the plane, I think how easy was that, but next time I fly, it happens again.
Sorry I cant offer any solid advice, but if you can keep the thought about anticipation being worse, it may help.
Good luck with it and try and think about the amazing experience you will be rewarded with.

ellie_C_mason1990
28-01-17, 19:40
Yes I completely agree, it never is as bad as you imagine. Thank you! It's so helpful to hear I'm not alone. Yes and because it's such a long flight. . I haven't done more than 8 hours since I was 8 years old. I'm under estimating my ability to cope. Hoping the docs will supply me with something!!!

pulisa
28-01-17, 20:06
I suspect that you will very much have your work cut out for you with coping with the little boy. 8 hours on a plane will be a huge challenge for him but maybe he is used to planes? Maybe helping to look after him will help to take your mind off your own issues?

ellie_C_mason1990
31-01-17, 19:36
Yes pulisa, you are absolutely right. His Mum is going to try and get him some melatonin to get him to sleep but if it doesn't work I will be far more occupied with settling him! I've read so many stories online about unsympathetic people on aeroplanes and he is partial to letting out random, high pitched screeches!

I think if I concentrate on worrying about that (I must worry about something!) then it will ease it. At least I am not worrying about ongoing health anxiety so just keep reminding myself that I will always worry about something and this impending trip is just an excuse.

pulisa
31-01-17, 19:46
I never had much luck with melatonin but it's worth a try! I can imagine that you'll have plenty of challenges to take your mind off your own anxiety but hopefully fellow passengers will be more tolerant than they were when my children were small.

I wish you all the very best for your trip and it should be a wonderful experience for you!

ellie_C_mason1990
01-02-17, 14:20
Thank you and thank you all for your replies :)

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Thank you and thank you all for your replies :)