PDA

View Full Version : Work advice needed

Andy1718
24-01-17, 22:01
Hi cit friends
It's been a while but keep returning to this page for advice and to support others. It really helped me along my journey.
So those who know me know that I was off work last year with stress due to my teaching job and years of performance anxiety. I returned to work in sept and still on 20 mg of cit. I have managed to get myself into all meetings and training days although it's really hard work and have been ok. A few blips here and there. Still having trouble with meetings and anxiety but coping ok. Still struggle with groups of peers and presenting in front of a adult peer audience.
So the dilemma is that I have been offered a new job at a new school. They want me as a good teacher but also to be part of a senior team. I am really looking forward to the opportunity but I have fears whether I can do it. Been in my school for so long that the thought of leaving even though I need to get out fills me with anxiety of change. Do I tell the new boss about my anxiety and my stresses from last year? Don't want to take the job and let them down. Any advice would be great.

panic_down_under
24-01-17, 23:50
I am really looking forward to the opportunity but I have fears whether I can do it. Been in my school for so long that the thought of leaving even though I need to get out fills me with anxiety of change.

A change of scene may be beneficial in that it may get you away from some of the issues which lead to your anxiety erupting. Plus whoever first said, "change is as good as a holiday," knew what s/he was talking about.

Do I tell the new boss about my anxiety and my stresses from last year? Don't want to take the job and let them down.

I would tell them. That way if you have the occasional issue it won't be a surprise.

I would also be thinking about either upping the dose, or maybe adding a small dose of Buspar (buspirone). Buspar is a GAD specific med which doesn't work for many, however, it can boost the effectiveness of serotonergic antidepressants and may reduce SSRI/SNRI side-effects too.

The object of taking meds is to diminish the anxiety as much as possible because anxiety spells reinforce the disorder. White-knuckling through anxiety is counterproductive.

Also consider therapy if you haven't already tried it. Most NHS trusts offer it either by face to face counseling, or via a free subscription to the CBT based online FearFighter (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/online-mental-health-services/Pages/fearfighter.aspx) program co developed by Isaac Marks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Marks).