PDA

View Full Version : anxious about world events

Panicpro
25-01-17, 09:09
hi all,

im writing this post out of complete desperation, hoping someone can offer some words of advice or comfort or relate to what im anxious about.

I think it goes without saying the media is going crazy at the moment, what with the US election, brexit, etc. But i cant stop thinking of the worst (war, nuclear conflict, etc). I am severely anxious and depressed about these things and what makes it more frustrating is that I dont understand or have an opinion on politics, as well as the fact that every news outlet is telling a different story. I just want more peace, I dont know if im reading too much news or if i am being rational, but im so incredibly tired and frightened. Someone please help...:unsure::weep:

Citydeer
25-01-17, 20:04
I know how you feel, it can be so overwhelming and it seems at a time when the world could most use peace, everyone is yelling so loudly, there is so much division and the media is stirring the pot. When it gets too much I hide all news from my newsfeed on facebook and make an active choice not to read news websites for a few weeks or even just a few days. It can be very refreshing. It's normal for people with anxiety to worry about things like this I think, we catastrophise about world events just like we do lots of other things!! as usual things probably wont turn out as bad as we worry they will.

The thing that makes me feel more empowered and less helpless about news and world events is learning more about politics and the nature of the media - it's best to read from a variety of news sources so you can be presented with a variety of perspectives and make up your own mind - newspapers have biases and it is important to aware of them so you can know when they are pushing their own agenda or being one-sided. I'll give you a brief summary of some known biases of Australian news publications at the bottom of this post which might help you feel less overwhelmed.

When you say you don't understand politics I'm not sure to what extent you mean, so if I say anything you are already aware of please just glaze over it! Understanding what is referred to as the political spectrum is a good first step to understanding politics better. There are some different versions of the political spectrum but the most basic type has the categories listed below:

FAR LEFT - LEFT - CENTRE - RIGHT - FAR RIGHT

Each political party in Australia sits somewhere on this political spectrum. They may fit into an exact category or they may be between two. The categories on the spectrum help us to understand where each party generally stands on different issues. For example the Left is known for putting social equality first and foremost. The Right is known for putting the economy and the free market first.

This is VERY oversimplified btw so please no one crucify me, I am trying to make this as uncomplicated as possible >_<

In terms of where Australian political parties fit on this spectrum, the current Australian government - the Liberal party - fits into the centre-right category. The Labour party is centre-left. The Green party is left. Pauline Hanson's party is right.

Some of Australia's biggest news publications are known for having the following biases:

- The Australian has a Centre-Right bias (meaning they will usually agree with
the views of the Australian Liberal Party and economic interests)
- The Herald Sun and the Daily Mail have a Right-wing bias (they will most often side with Pauline Hanson type views etc)
- The Guardian has a Left-wing bias (their articles will most likely support environmental stuff and the share views of parties like the Greens or sometimes Labour party)
- Sydney Morning Herald has a slight centre-right bias

I hope this makes at least a bit of sense, again it is very over simplified so I would recommend doing more of your own research if you are interested in this stuff. There are facebook pages and websites which present non-biased political information and give good explanations, in the UK i like the facebook page Simple Politics. I do find the best way to feel better about the world is to be empowered by knowledge about what is going on. But that's just me. Other people feel better by shutting themselves off from world events, even just until they feel mentally able to handle everything. If that's the case for you, avoid as much news and political stuff as you can! your mental health needs to come first. :hugs:

Woody0111
26-01-17, 21:35
I'm in exactly the same boat. The world just seems so scary and dangerous at the moment. Like it's on a knifes edge. I keep wondering if it's as bad as it seems or just exaggerated by the media. After all the only thing that sells better then sex is misery. It's getting me down to the point I can't sleep for worry and when I get an idea in my head I can't get it out. War scares the hell out of me. Haven't got anyone to talk to either. I'm afraid people would just think I was being stupid. I've deleted all my news apps and Facebook feeds etc. They are just a trigger and I don't need the negativity. Anyhow, your certainly not alone and I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who is worried about these things.

SLA
26-01-17, 21:58
Life is full of shit things. Accept that, and move on.

Pretty blunt, but there you go.

Get on with enjoying your own life, and do your best. Its all youve got.

Panicpro
27-01-17, 01:29
I know how you feel, it can be so overwhelming and it seems at a time when the world could most use peace, everyone is yelling so loudly, there is so much division and the media is stirring the pot. When it gets too much I hide all news from my newsfeed on facebook and make an active choice not to read news websites for a few weeks or even just a few days. It can be very refreshing. It's normal for people with anxiety to worry about things like this I think, we catastrophise about world events just like we do lots of other things!! as usual things probably wont turn out as bad as we worry they will.

The thing that makes me feel more empowered and less helpless about news and world events is learning more about politics and the nature of the media - it's best to read from a variety of news sources so you can be presented with a variety of perspectives and make up your own mind - newspapers have biases and it is important to aware of them so you can know when they are pushing their own agenda or being one-sided. I'll give you a brief summary of some known biases of Australian news publications at the bottom of this post which might help you feel less overwhelmed.

When you say you don't understand politics I'm not sure to what extent you mean, so if I say anything you are already aware of please just glaze over it! Understanding what is referred to as the political spectrum is a good first step to understanding politics better. There are some different versions of the political spectrum but the most basic type has the categories listed below:

FAR LEFT - LEFT - CENTRE - RIGHT - FAR RIGHT

Each political party in Australia sits somewhere on this political spectrum. They may fit into an exact category or they may be between two. The categories on the spectrum help us to understand where each party generally stands on different issues. For example the Left is known for putting social equality first and foremost. The Right is known for putting the economy and the free market first.

This is VERY oversimplified btw so please no one crucify me, I am trying to make this as uncomplicated as possible >_<

In terms of where Australian political parties fit on this spectrum, the current Australian government - the Liberal party - fits into the centre-right category. The Labour party is centre-left. The Green party is left. Pauline Hanson's party is right.

Some of Australia's biggest news publications are known for having the following biases:

- The Australian has a Centre-Right bias (meaning they will usually agree with
the views of the Australian Liberal Party and economic interests)
- The Herald Sun and the Daily Mail have a Right-wing bias (they will most often side with Pauline Hanson type views etc)
- The Guardian has a Left-wing bias (their articles will most likely support environmental stuff and the share views of parties like the Greens or sometimes Labour party)
- Sydney Morning Herald has a slight centre-right bias

I hope this makes at least a bit of sense, again it is very over simplified so I would recommend doing more of your own research if you are interested in this stuff. There are facebook pages and websites which present non-biased political information and give good explanations, in the UK i like the facebook page Simple Politics. I do find the best way to feel better about the world is to be empowered by knowledge about what is going on. But that's just me. Other people feel better by shutting themselves off from world events, even just until they feel mentally able to handle everything. If that's the case for you, avoid as much news and political stuff as you can! your mental health needs to come first. :hugs:

Wow, thankyou so much for taking your time to write to me, this calmed and helped me get through these past few days. So thankful. <3

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

I'm in exactly the same boat. The world just seems so scary and dangerous at the moment. Like it's on a knifes edge. I keep wondering if it's as bad as it seems or just exaggerated by the media. After all the only thing that sells better then sex is misery. It's getting me down to the point I can't sleep for worry and when I get an idea in my head I can't get it out. War scares the hell out of me. Haven't got anyone to talk to either. I'm afraid people would just think I was being stupid. I've deleted all my news apps and Facebook feeds etc. They are just a trigger and I don't need the negativity. Anyhow, your certainly not alone and I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who is worried about these things.

I am the exact same! It sucks :( hope things begin looking up for you <3

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Life is full of shit things. Accept that, and move on.

Pretty blunt, but there you go.

Get on with enjoying your own life, and do your best. Its all youve got.

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps not the most constructive contribution, but contribution nonetheless. God bless..

Noivous
27-01-17, 02:41
hi all,

im writing this post out of complete desperation, hoping someone can offer some words of advice or comfort or relate to what im anxious about.

I think it goes without saying the media is going crazy at the moment, what with the US election, brexit, etc. But i cant stop thinking of the worst (war, nuclear conflict, etc). I am severely anxious and depressed about these things and what makes it more frustrating is that I dont understand or have an opinion on politics, as well as the fact that every news outlet is telling a different story. I just want more peace, I dont know if im reading too much news or if i am being rational, but im so incredibly tired and frightened. Someone please help...:unsure::weep:

I was thinking the other day was it better when we were really less informed? Who knows. I'm a little bit on the political side and I really don't think we have any reason to be more fearful than any other time in history. The world has always had problems and always will. It's really about our own personal attitudes towards life. 99.9% of what goes on in the world is out of our control. Personally I'm very hopeful the world is going to become a better place. It's definitely changing. I agree with you there are those in the media who are driving public fear for their own effed up agenda. Don't feed into it. Reading your post I suspect you are smarter than that. Most in the world want peace like you do.

N

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-17, 07:21
I was thinking the other day was it better when we were really less informed? Who knows. I'm a little bit on the political side and I really don't think we have any reason to be more fearful than any other time in history. The world has always had problems and always will. It's really about our own personal attitudes towards life. 99.9% of what goes on in the world is out of our control. Personally I'm very hopeful the world is going to become a better place. It's definitely changing. I agree with you there are those in the media who are driving public fear for their own effed up agenda. Don't feed into it. Reading your post I suspect you are smarter than that. Most in the world want peace like you do.

N

Yep, we had the worst wars at times when we had little knowledge.

It's the constant media who spend most of their time speculating. If real news was reported, we could back decades to short news programmes and newspapers. It's all "opinion pieces" with experts cashing in on the gravy train.

Please don't buy into any news telling you the EU has prevented wars and the UK leaving could harm this or we are all becoming hard right nutters and the conditions are comparable to the lead up to WWII...its a load of BS.

We've done Brexit here. Unless you read political forums or online newspaper comments sections, which are frequented by the same people, you will find most are just getting on with their lives. Outside of forums, I haven't heard one person in my life even mention it.

SLA
27-01-17, 08:53
Thank you for your reply. Perhaps not the most constructive contribution, but contribution nonetheless. God bless..

It's the truth though. What were you expecting?

Try reading Stoic philosophy. They say the same thing, but sound a lot cooler.

Woody0111
27-01-17, 09:44
It's the truth though. What were you expecting?

Try reading Stoic philosophy. They say the same thing, but sound a lot cooler.

I think she was probably expecting support, this being a website for anxiety etc. I mean, you wouldn't tell someone with HA or PTSD to "just get over it" would you? And if you would then this probably isn't the site for you. Sometimes people just need a comforting word and some sympathy man.

SLA
27-01-17, 10:04
It depends what you want to hear. I think I was being quite supportive, it's worked for me. Life is not a fairy-tale.

I'd never tell someone with PTSD to "just get over it" and have no experience in that area, so i'd never offer advice. Don't know why you'd even suggest that I would.

Sometimes people just need a comforting word and some sympathy man.

I agree. Sometimes people also need a kick up the arse.

Here is a quote from probably the smartest guy that ever lived.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.

Marcus Aurelius

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-17, 11:49
Why does the OP need a kick up the arse? :shrug:

Do you know this person? Can you assume that giving them a kick up the arse will help rather than being detrimental? This particular debate goes around in circles every time I see it on NMP. When an OP pushes back, the kicker gets frustrated despite previously deciding on that risky strategy. Not everyone is going to appreciate it so you'll have to accept you will get flack too.

I think their point was more that simply pointing out what we all know may not be constructive. The comparison Woody is drawing is because you said accept it and move on. Whilst it's true, it's also basic, if you see what I mean?

Noivous
27-01-17, 12:10

Do you know this person? Can you assume that giving them a kick up the arse will help rather than being detrimental? This particular debate goes around in circles every time I see it on NMP. When an OP pushes back, the kicker gets frustrated despite previously deciding on that risky strategy. Not everyone is going to appreciate it so you'll have to accept you will get flack too.

I think their point was more that simply pointing out what we all know may not be constructive. The comparison Woody is drawing is because you said accept it and move on. Whilst it's true, it's also basic, if you see what I mean?

So true, Terry! Hey I'm a flack magnet:D.

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-17, 12:17
So true, Terry! Hey I'm a flack magnet:D.

You've got a piece of A4 cellotaped on your back with "kick me" on it! :winks:

SLA
27-01-17, 13:45

I can accept the flack, but Woody took my advice and over simplified it. (Not sure why PTSD was mentioned either.)

I try and gauge it, and form a response I think will most likely be of benefit to the person posting.

To be honest, I am just glad people read it, because so many people don't.

Sympathy is cool. We've all been there... :hugs: Doesn't really solve anything though.

Quite simply, when you go through ACTUAL SHIT in your life, it gives you a different perspective on things. (As I am sure you and others here would agree.)

I'm trying to relay that knowledge to others the best that I can. Sometimes you need to shake up people's beliefs.

Yes, the news is full of stuff that could make you worry. So is life...

Life is a series of adversities and problems. You can take each one personally and get stressed about it, or you can just deal with it and move on.

And to people say that its "too simplistic", all of the best ideas and philosophies are really.

http://img170.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-22822/loc117/505633433_15822914_1533922723285345_60719336768153 58703_n_122_117lo.jpg

pulisa
27-01-17, 13:58
I guess that system would work if we were programmed as robots but human emotions tend to clog up the works a bit.

SLA
27-01-17, 14:08
I guess that system would work if we were programmed as robots but human emotions tend to clog up the works a bit.

True, that is a grossly over-simplified idea, but the core philosophy remains true.

Your emotions are led by your perspective in life.

The news and media want to keep your attention, so they shape their content accordingly. The economy wants you to remain unfulfilled so you keep buying stuff. Cars get "more efficient". TV's get "higher definition".

You can choose what perspective you have on things.

If you focus on the fearful and negative aspects you will feel fear and negativity.

Become self-aware. See how you/we let the external factors shape our mood and views.

Make your mind your own unconquerable domain. You are in charge of it. You can choose what you react to, and how you feel about things.

Is that a better response? :D

27-01-17, 15:26
Hi Panicpro,

I found myself in a similar situation about 6 months ago. I was sick and tired of negative stories and the impact it was having on my mood. It was a drip feed of doom, gloom and negative emotions.

So I decided to veto all general news sites, papers and TV, and instead invest that time in to seeking and enjoying inspiring articles, art, photography, science and literature.

(This was prompted by a suggestion from Max Storm, in his book: A Life Worth Breathing - A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing)

I appreciate this action comes at a cost of being ignorant to the finer details of politics and current affairs, but I'm still aware of the overall global picture because people talk.

On the plus side I invested that time in to topics I value and which make me feel positive and inspired and as a result my knowledge has increased.

This isn't advice … just sharing my experience.

pulisa
27-01-17, 16:39
True, that is a grossly over-simplified idea, but the core philosophy remains true.

Your emotions are led by your perspective in life.

The news and media want to keep your attention, so they shape their content accordingly. The economy wants you to remain unfulfilled so you keep buying stuff. Cars get "more efficient". TV's get "higher definition".

You can choose what perspective you have on things.

If you focus on the fearful and negative aspects you will feel fear and negativity.

Become self-aware. See how you/we let the external factors shape our mood and views.

Make your mind your own unconquerable domain. You are in charge of it. You can choose what you react to, and how you feel about things.

It doesn't apply to my situation but if it does for you that's a very positive thing. There are some things in life over which you have no control and I think it's important to acknowledge that.

I also agree that there is far too much news coverage today. In the "olden days" people didn't know anything other than what they listened to on the "wireless", for example or what they were fed in the newspapers. Knowledge isn't necessarily a good thing particularly with regard to mental health.

Noivous
27-01-17, 16:39
Hi Panicpro,

I found myself in a similar situation about 6 months ago. I was sick and tired of negative stories and the impact it was having on my mood. It was a drip feed of doom, gloom and negative emotions.

So I decided to veto all general news sites, papers and TV, and instead invest that time in to seeking and enjoying inspiring articles, art, photography, science and literature.

(This was prompted by a suggestion from Max Storm, in his book: A Life Worth Breathing - A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing)

I appreciate this action comes at a cost of being ignorant to the finer details of politics and current affairs, but I'm still aware of the overall global picture because people talk.

On the plus side I invested that time in to topics I value and which make me feel positive and inspired and as a result my knowledge has increased.

Thanks! Yeah every once in awhile I think everyone should take a total news break just to cleanse the system.

N.

Citydeer
27-01-17, 19:11

Definitely.

It's good that on any thread if there is a variety of different perspectives and approaches to helping. You never know which one will work for the person so the more of us that offer our own style of advice the more chance there is that something will hit home :yesyes:

Panicpro
28-01-17, 09:27

N

Thankyou so much. After reading your words I feel better...god bless you Noivous!!!

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Yep, we had the worst wars at times when we had little knowledge.

It's the constant media who spend most of their time speculating. If real news was reported, we could back decades to short news programmes and newspapers. It's all "opinion pieces" with experts cashing in on the gravy train.

Please don't buy into any news telling you the EU has prevented wars and the UK leaving could harm this or we are all becoming hard right nutters and the conditions are comparable to the lead up to WWII...its a load of BS.

We've done Brexit here. Unless you read political forums or online newspaper comments sections, which are frequented by the same people, you will find most are just getting on with their lives. Outside of forums, I haven't heard one person in my life even mention it.

Thankyou so much for your wisdom...I think keeping in tune with the real world around me is what I need at the moment, thanks for the reminder <3

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

I think she was probably expecting support, this being a website for anxiety etc. I mean, you wouldn't tell someone with HA or PTSD to "just get over it" would you? And if you would then this probably isn't the site for you. Sometimes people just need a comforting word and some sympathy man.

Thankyou sooo much for the support. I really wasn't trying to upset anybody or make anyone think I feel sorry for myself. I know my 'problems' are minuscule compared to many people in this world...thankyou again:hugs:

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

It depends what you want to hear. I think I was being quite supportive, it's worked for me. Life is not a fairy-tale.

I'd never tell someone with PTSD to "just get over it" and have no experience in that area, so i'd never offer advice. Don't know why you'd even suggest that I would.

I agree. Sometimes people also need a kick up the arse.

Here is a quote from probably the smartest guy that ever lived.

Thankyou for your wisdom, I understand your perspective. I have been in a state of panic and was primarily seeking comfort, but thankyou so much for your well intended response, I appreciate that! :flowers::flowers:

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Hi Panicpro,

Thankyou so much!! I have looked into the book you named and I think it may make a large impact on me. I appreciate your support:hugs:

NoraB
28-01-17, 10:10
hi all,

Stay away from the news. Scaremongering is what they do! They practice those glum faces for hours in the mirror. Watch something lighthearted or funny instead. You can't change any of it so why make yourself ill?