PDA

View Full Version : Fear of teeth falling out

serendipity1996
25-01-17, 17:22
I generally take decent care of my teeth - I'm 20 years old and have always brushed twice a day, however, have only recently started to incorporate flossing into my routine. All my previous dental check-ups have been pretty standard, my dentist has always seems pleased with the state of my teeth although I think last time he remarked that I had mild gingivitis (gum disease, which everybody has at some point). Occasionally, my gums are sore and bleed when I brush them but in the past few days my fear has really amped up. Mostly because I came across a whole slew of articles saying that you NEED to floss unless you want your teeth to fall out. And now that I examine my teeth up close it looks as if the gum is receding slightly which terrifies me. I have bought a new toothbrush, ordered interdental brushes and started flossing 3x a day. I have also booked myself in for a dentist's appointment next week. I realise it's pretty premature to start worrying now as I have not been examined by a dental professional yet but I just can't help myself.

Also, ever since I got my braces off 4 years ago I have had to wear a clear plastic retainer at night. I clean it using a specially formulated solution and then scrub it with fairy liquid but it is still quite stained....so I'm worried that it contains nasty bacteria that will infect my mouth, give me trench mouth etc. I realise I am probably being overly cautious but I am SO worried.

It doesn't help that I've come across the inevitable news articles about some guy who had a minor toothache that went unchecked, led to infection, and got into the brain and BOOM he died. I can't stop examining my teeth and gums now. I'm terrified. Have I ****ed up by neglecting flossing for most of my life so far?

Sphincterclench
25-01-17, 17:29
huge stretch there man.

Cut yourself some slack, bask in the fact that your 20 and still have your own teeth.

oh and floss :D

axolotl
25-01-17, 17:32
News stories exist because they're telling stories that are scary and rare. Think of all the people you know, and then all the people you know whose teeth randomly fell out ;)

If it's any help I've never flossed in my life, my gums bleed occasionally, and I'm a good few years older than you, but my last dental checkup was absolutely fine.

Fishmanpa
25-01-17, 17:38
Have I ****ed up by neglecting flossing for most of my life so far?

No. Please stop searching to find something to worry about.

Positive thoughts