PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Constant Panic Attacks and effect on health

Megan99
26-01-17, 03:07
Hello,
I have been suffering from panic attacks for 7 years now. In school, I am taking an advanced Holocaust study class and right after that I take a Law Study class. I really want to continue with these classes, but the problem is, both classes are triggering my panic attacks. Especially the Holocaust class. It's just such a emotionally heavy class that my panic attacks are triggered by the added emotion. I really want to be there and learn and become aware of the Holocaust in depth, but I haven't had one class where I don't have a panic attack. My panic attacks ease a bit if I get up and walk around, but I cannot do that in that class because I don't want the teacher to feel like I am being disrespectful. Right after that class is a study of Law, and although that shouldn't be too frightening for me, my panic attacks follow me because my attacks from the previous class makes me sensitive and subject to panic more easily. Sorry for the long explanation, but the bottom line is that I really want to be there. I want to be in those classes and learn the subjects like a normal person and sit there without my heart beating a mile a minute in my chest, but I don't know how to cope with my panic attacks whilst in class. Also, is it possible that these multiple attacks every single day will have an adverse effect on my overall health and heart? The attacks are brutal especially because I can't get up and walk around.
Again,
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks!
Megan

Catherine S
26-01-17, 04:04
Can I ask what you are hoping to get from the law course? Are you studying with the intention of becoming a lawyer? If so, a word of advice. Unless you can find a way of controlling your panic, it's perhaps best not become a criminal lawyer. Court rooms can be very stressful.

ISB x

Citydeer
26-01-17, 06:16
Sorry to hear. I don't think you're alone with this. I found the nature of topics I studied at uni to be highly triggering as well due to their depressing nature. Sometimes I think at uni they should include content in such units to help students deal with such an overload of confronting information - it can be very intense and we're often not given tools to process such topics on an emotional level! Is your lecturer approachable? It could be an idea to explain how you are feeling to them to see if they have any advice or a way to help you feel more comfortable. It may not be the first time someone has come to them with such an issue. Secondly does your uni's student services offer any counselling or support services? I have found these helpful in the past. It helped me also to write a list of positive goals I had for wanting to study the unit, and I would read it during challenging times. For example something like "studying this unit will help me to understand history better, so I can
help ensure such history never repeats itself"

What do you usually do before class? If possible developing some routines to try and get as calm as possible before you go in might help get you in a good frame of mind.