PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node question...worried sick.

Lam123
27-01-17, 02:46
Hi Everyone, as some of you may remember I had a swollen lymph node under my armpit over Christmas, after a week or so it went down. I have felt a few times and it's been fine. Now tonight I felt there and it's back. Exactly like it was at Christmas time. I'm so upset and I'm a panic, I feel like I take a few steps forward and then a million back with my health anxiety. Has anyone ever had a node do this?

Thanks for all your help and support!

Lam123
27-01-17, 10:46
The only reason why I felt my under arm was because it hurt, the ski hurt. Anyone Have lymph nodes swell off and on like this? How long do I wait to see the dr?

SLA
27-01-17, 10:56
Anyone have lymph nodes swell off and on like this?

About 7.5 billion other people.

It's what they do.

Lam123
27-01-17, 11:06
They swell for no reason?

SLA
27-01-17, 11:18
Never said that. Lymph nodes swell. It's what they do.

If they didn't swell sometimes they wouldn't be doing their job.

axolotl
27-01-17, 11:22
Lymph nodes swell because they're part of our bodies' defences against illness, it's what they're for and how bodies work.

Nasty stuff to worry about doesn't go up and down, it keeps growing uncontrollably. Nor does it usually hurt. Your body's just doing its job - and you'll just make things feel worse by poking and prodding.

KeeKee
27-01-17, 11:24
I was told by my GP that if they go up and down they are nothing to worry about. As someone mentioned before on here, even a spot can cause nodes to swell (I've personally experienced this).

Lam123
27-01-17, 11:34
What do you mean by a spot?

SLA
27-01-17, 11:36
An pore in the skin getting blocked.

Great post KeeKee.

Lam123
27-01-17, 14:28
The weird part is the back side of my under arm really hurts when I move it in certain ways, just came on out of nowhere last night, so when I touched my underarm cause it hurt is when I felt the lymph node. I'm not sure why, but because it feels like it's in the same area as the one at Christmas time, made me very nervous.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

I guess anything new really makes my Ha so much worse and I hate going to the dr. I'm not good with wait and see approach either, but I guess in this case I will wait. One theory why I think this might be happening, every morning when I get out of the shower, I wrap the towel around under my arms really tight, and I wonder if it's irritating the skin and lymph node. Any thoughts?

Fishmanpa
27-01-17, 15:12
Any thoughts?

My thought would be that you're hyper-focused on a benign issue. As with all the node posts here, the word "swollen" is often perception as opposed to reality. You're obviously self checking and it's a fact that poking and prodding can case a reaction.

The wait and see approach or just plain ignore the screaming HA voice in your head would be in order ;)

Positive thoughts

Lam123
27-01-17, 15:16
I must admit, since the swollen nose at Christmas time, I haven't felt around very much at all, I actually forgot about it. Last night before bed, the skin under my armpit started to hurt, almost like it had been rubbed too hard. So when I felt under the armpit to see what was happening with the skin, that's when I felt the lymph node swollen. The skin is still sore when I move certain ways or touch it and then node is still swollen. I have only felt there once this morning and am going to try and leave it.
I'm more concerned because this is twice now in a very short amount of time, I'm not sick, and it's the same area.

SLA
27-01-17, 15:19
I must admit, since the swollen nose at Christmas time, I haven't felt around very much at all, I actually forgot about it.

A swollen nose too?

Gah... :weep:

Lam123
27-01-17, 15:20
Sorry, meant node.

aaronrh76
27-01-17, 16:23
If it was cancer I am sure that the node would stay the same size and continue to grow, not swell then go normal then swell then go normal. Nodes swell all the time over minor stuff. I had a small sore on my gum line the other day, the node on my jaw swelled up a little. I had a sore throat, and the node in my throat swelled up a little. They usually stay swollen for a day or so then go away. And like someone else said, something as little as a clogged pore, which happens all the time in the sweaty pit area, can make one swell. Just leave it alone and it should go down in a few days. And if not, then perhaps see a doctor.

Lam123
27-01-17, 16:34
How long does everyone wait till they see the dr?

Fishmanpa
27-01-17, 16:38
How long does everyone wait till they see the dr?

As long as you can stand it I guess :) I personally don't believe what you describe warrants a doctor visit but you do what you feel you need to do.

Positive thoughts

Lam123
27-01-17, 21:21
At Christmas time the lymph node wasn't sore at all, this time it's off and on really sore and tender. Ugh!

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

I was just reading online that what may feel like a swollen lymph node, could actually be a cyst, and when painful, could be a cyst caused by menstrual cycle. Anyone heard of this? I find this interesting since in Dec the swollen lymph node, or at least that's what I thought it was, happened right at my cycle, and again, same timing this month. Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Just an update, I decided to make a dr appt. The swollen lymph node isn't any bigger, but is really tender at times. So I decided to make an appt for Monday and get it checked out. I'm not sure if anything is infected, but my underarm is really sore at times.