PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about my husband's dreams

Eventhesparrows
27-01-17, 06:37
So. Ok. This is getting a little scary.

My husband had a dream a couple of weeks ago, during a thunderstorm, where he was proposed the question "ok, do you want this next one near, or far?" and in his dream, he said "near" - then BOOM! A huge crack of thunder sent us straight up out of bed. Then he told me about his dream.

Then, just now we were on the couch, having a conversation. He said that about 2-3 nights ago, he had a dream about this exact situation, same conversation, everything. And the conversation wasn't a conversation we have often.

So, ok. Now I'm plagued with thoughts of "what if he dreams I have a brain tumor, and then I'm diagnosed with one?" or "What if he dreams something bad of me, or me dying, and then it happens?"

It seems crazy, but in my "brain tumor HA obsessed" mind, I'm totally freaking out right now. :unsure:

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-17, 07:05
I think you are being affected by Magical Thinking and also Frequency Illusion. I would suggest looking at the threads by TomT who went through that as you will see the advice we gave him.

Also, this one's more likely an OCD discussion than a HA one.

Basically you are taking coincidence and trying to associate them. It's a form of Cognitive Bias and well documented.

The Magical Thinking is a known OCD theme, although anyone can experience issues with it, and it may seem "way out" to those less familiar with it. I had loads of this in my OCD. But your mind can't make changes in the physical world, and neither can your husbands.

The basic test in therapy is to actively think about making something happen. Then you see nothing happens. You work on accepting that thoughts don't lead to actions.

And in reality, your husband "thinks" be had this dream of the conversation. He could be experiencing a Deja Vu moment, where his mind is drawing a conclusion falsely.

swajj
27-01-17, 12:30
Maybe he was hearing the thunder even though he was sleeping and that caused him to dream about voices and thunder. Not the other way around - he wasn't just dreaming about thunder and that caused thunder to happen. So, he isn't going to dream about you having a brain tumour and that causes you to have one. He doesn't have that power. lol

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

omg that post was so confusing. It should make sense if you read it 3 times. :ohmy:

axolotl
27-01-17, 12:37
People don't have magical dream powers.

7.5 billion people have a dream every night, it stands to reason some of those occasionally match up with real events.

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-17, 12:38
Maybe he was hearing the thunder even though he was sleeping and that caused him to dream about voices and thunder. Not the other way around - he wasn't just dreaming about thunder and that caused thunder to happen. So, he isn't going to dream about you having a brain tumour and that causes you to have one. He doesn't have that power. lol

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

omg that post was so confusing. It should make sense if you read it 3 times. :ohmy:

Swajj, you've just jogged my memory. I've had one dream a few times where one been trying to switch my alarm clock off and it just won't stop. Eventually I start getting frustrated and guess what? I wake up and my alarm clock is actually going off!

I guess it will be about Hypnagogia & Hypnopompia sleep stages in my case. Maybe the husband too?

With it not seeming random to the OP, it starts the imagination looking for those incorrect associations. Everyone does it and shrugs it off as "Oh this weird thing happened last night" but anxiety sufferers get triggered and look for deeper meaning. Just the fear survival response misfiring thinking it's protecting us again.

swajj
27-01-17, 12:47
lol Terry I think I've had that alarm clock dream too.

I have had what some would call premonition dreams. The night before 2 major events in my life I dreamt about them. I don't believe in the ghosts, premonition etc etc so I have to put it down to coincidence but ...

KeeKee
27-01-17, 12:58
lol Terry I think I've had that alarm clock dream too.

I have had what some would call premonition dreams. The night before 2 major events in my life I dreamt about them. I don't believe in the ghosts, premonition etc etc so I have to put it down to coincidence but ...

A very close relative of mine, who also doesn't believe in ghosts etc had a 'dream' about an incident that occurred with a relative who was currently in another country. They told their other half about the dream and later that day had a phone call to tell them of the incident (wasn't a death or anything like that), there is no way this relative could have guessed that would happen as the other person is a very experienced truck driver who goes to many different countries each year.

The same relative had another dream that I won't mention. It happened. We all joke that we hope they don't have any dreams about us.

swajj
27-01-17, 13:14
Interesting keekee. I think some things are unexplainable.