PDA

View Full Version : Easily startled -witch anxiety disorder?

Jana
27-01-17, 09:00
Hi all!
I have a long history and will chare it with you another time . But My question for now is If anyone with any diagnos recognize the same experience as me regarding my "easy startledness". My doctor told me it was panic attacs but when searching and reading the web about it I cannot find it anywhere. Its different strength and reaction everyday but some examples are (just for you to see how My brain react to small things as they where big) : when my mobile makes sound I can jump high - I get like an electric bolt from my head to my stomach to my feet and sometimes my hands. When I ride in a car(not driving) I get startled and "bolted" for anything. (When I drive myself its ofcourse way worse, but more understandable to me. ) I can wake up at night hearing my dog breath and get startled. I eather get too afraid to say anything or I get angry with her for scaring me and giving me my "electricution". When I work and I hear the "costumer door bell" I can get startled. When someone coughs or sneezes I get the same reaction in my body.

So I am talking about the fysical reaction not the thoughts that comes after when the thoughts comes first and then I get the fysical reaction to the thoughts(cause that I have too and have worked with and know there is information about). Of course they are connected and I am suffering from both alot. I have had theese "new" "lightning ,bolt, electric scares now for almost a year and it seems like its getting worse.

Does anyone recognize this and have a diagnosis to relate to? Please tell me . I feel like Im going crazy. Even better if anyone can share info what to do about it and how to cope with it.
Thank you and sorry for the long post .
Love Jana (Sweden)

Jana
29-01-17, 15:59
No one ? :weep:

Mojo61
29-01-17, 16:02
Hi Jana, I'd like to know too as I have the same problem as you, but perhaps to a lesser degree. I feel a 'bolt' go through my body when I hear a sound like the phone, or a door bang, or even the sound of my heating switching on and off. I never used to get this before the anxiety started so I don't really know what's happening.

Jana
29-01-17, 16:08
Thank you Mojo for your reply. May I ask if you have been diagnosed for your "other" anxiety?

Catherine S
29-01-17, 16:31
I get this with certain unexpected noises like a door slamming or house phone ringing when i'm reading quietly and it's normal, although we can react to this much more when our nerves are already jangling!. My husband jumps out of his skin too when these things happen, and he's the most chilled out person you could meet.

ISB ☺

NoraB
29-01-17, 17:06
I get easily startled and I'm also part deaf in one ear. One time, I turned around and OH was standing behind me and I was that startled, I right hooked him.:ohmy:

Jana
29-01-17, 17:13
But when I get startled I get really really angry or I cry for getting startled. Its so uncomfortable in my brain and body. I try to tell myself to calm down but it diesnt help :(

Panicer
29-01-17, 17:16
Hi Jana

I have always reacted more than most people to noises or sudden movement. However since I had a panic attack a few months ago and have since been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder it has become much worse. I have been told by my doctor and therapist that this is completely normal, as my mind is currently dealing with a lot of anxiety and my senses are working overtime to try and protect me from everything. I would suggest CBT could help but your doctor is best placed to advise you. I can assure you though, you're not alone. :)

Jana
29-01-17, 17:25
Hi Panicer! Thank you so much for answering. Nice to know Im not alone. Im on the waitinglist for CBT. (Waitinglist is like 4 months) Ive done CBT before but it was like 8 years ago so I guess its time again. Like you said the brain is trying to protect me and be ready for anything but it makes me suffer. Thank you for posting , I will talk to my doctor about my suspicions about GAD and not only panicattacks like she said. Are you taking any medication ? or are you just in CBT?

Panicer
29-01-17, 17:54
Hi Panicer! Thank you so much for answering. Nice to know Im not alone. Im on the waitinglist for CBT. (Waitinglist is like 4 months) Ive done CBT before but it was like 8 years ago so I guess its time again. Like you said the brain is trying to protect me and be ready for anything but it makes me suffer. Thank you for posting , I will talk to my doctor about my suspicions about GAD and not only panicattacks like she said. Are you taking any medication ? or are you just in CBT?

Hi Jana

I'm glad it helped some. I've found this site really useful, if only to convince me I'm not going mad and lots of people have or are suffering the same problems.

I've been having CBT since October when I had my first panic attack and diagnosis. It has helped but my therapist, GP and now psychiatrist all wanted me to try medication as well, as they thought CBT combined with medication were a better option for me. (I've been in a bit of a mess) So I started taking fluoxetine also known as prozac for the first time about 20 days ago. I've never taken any anti depressants etc before and this is all very new to me but I'm determined to get well, so thought if the experts all think it's a good idea why not. It hasn't helped so far but that seems quite normal as 6 to 8 weeks seems to be the usual time to start feeling the good effects from fluoxetine.

Jana
29-01-17, 18:41
Sounds like you have a good plan. :)

Mojo61
29-01-17, 20:03
Thank you Mojo for your reply. May I ask if you have been diagnosed for your "other" anxiety?

Yes, GAD supposedly.

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-17, 08:57
Hi Jana

I have always reacted more than most people to noises or sudden movement. However since I had a panic attack a few months ago and have since been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder it has become much worse. I have been told by my doctor and therapist that this is completely normal, as my mind is currently dealing with a lot of anxiety and my senses are working overtime to try and protect me from everything. I would suggest CBT could help but your doctor is best placed to advise you. I can assure you though, you're not alone. :)

I agree. I would say more GAD than Panic Disorder.

I went through it with my GAD too and I found the more you reduce your overall anxiety levels, the more this seems to go.

It's just being "on high alert" all the time.

NoraB
30-01-17, 09:53

True.

One of my guided meditations begins with a bong...I jump EVERY TIME. :scared15:

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-17, 10:34
True.

One of my guided meditations begins with a bong...I jump EVERY TIME. :scared15:

Yeah, I've got one of them.

I can remember jumping to noises on TV. One advert for a drama had a loud alarm clock in it and it would start me panicking like a switch had been thrown.

I can remember jumping if my arm nudged things and all sorts.

NoraB
30-01-17, 12:19
Yeah, I've got one of them.

I can remember jumping to noises on TV. One advert for a drama had a loud alarm clock in it and it would start me panicking like a switch had been thrown.

I can remember jumping if my arm nudged things and all sorts.

Our dog appeared from nowhere a few weeks ago and nudged my knee and there was a reflex leg jerk combined with an audible screech from me and a yelp from her.

Caught her right in the chops with me Converse and scared the shit out of her by screaming.:ohmy:

After much grovelling (and Bonios) she loves me again but she hasn't nudged me since..:unsure:

Jana
30-01-17, 18:10
I agree. I would say more GAD than Panic Disorder.

I went through it with my GAD too and I found the more you reduce your overall anxiety levels, the more this seems to go.

Thanks Terry.
How did(do) you reduce your anxiety levels? And are you free from GAD today?

MyNameIsTerry
08-02-17, 04:45
Thanks Terry.
How did(do) you reduce your anxiety levels? And are you free from GAD today?

Hi Jana,

I'm still in recovery, have been for years since my harder relapse and the OCD started.

I've tackled much of the OCD to extinction and reduced the GAD quite a bit. For me it has been a combination of things and time to keep trying. Mindfulness helped greatly with the OCD, I've had success with high strength Omega 3 for the mood swings my med has caused, relaxation techniques, learning about my Cognitive Distortions to change my thinking, CBT, etc.

I believe is about trying thinks until you find what works for you, not do much singular strategies. The rest is time & effort. But like I said, I'm still working on mine but I am far better than the shaking mess sitting in a chair all day afraid to do anything including eating, brushing my teeth., etc.

Jana
08-02-17, 04:49
Thank you Terry for your answer and keep on getting better :)
Lotsa love from Sweden