PDA

View Full Version : Bad panic attack

Alexldn89
27-01-17, 13:26
Had a bad one today where I was in the car with my step daughter
It scared me as I couldn't control it and I was worried I would crash the car and kill us both .. it didn't develope into a bad one where I was getting pins and needles etc but my chest feels full
I keep feeling the tingling coming on like another one is pending, I'm so upset. I don't know how long I can do this for! I really don't
I'm so beyond fed up now I don't really know what to do .. I feel like I can't breathe

SLA
27-01-17, 14:14
Was it the thought of crashing that triggered it?

What was the source of the panic?

I've had intrusive thoughts about crashing. Still get them occasionally. Not nice.

Alexldn89
27-01-17, 15:05
I recently quit my job and I think I was worked up over it
Yesterday people were calling me like why did you leave .. maybe I started to stress myself out until I was ready to explode, then I didn't get a docs appointment this morning.. then I have to get my step daughter from her mother who makes my skin crawl .. and I sat there just thinking .. what If I had a heart attack in the car with her in it
What if I crashed
She would die .. it would be my fault
And then BANG there it was
I had to hold it together in front of her and I got us home just fine but the panic attack was like it took over my body for about two hours I felt scared and worried something was wrong :. In the end I took a diazepam half and now I'm just upset, crying thinking look at me right now, how can I live my life like this
Who would want to marry me right now .. I am so upset about it

SLA
27-01-17, 15:17
Two key things stand out to me... and they are amazingly positive.

1: You held it together. That shows amazing strength. I know how tough it can be.
2: You are self-aware, and can piece together how it went wrong.

Basically, you were already in a stressed state. So the doors were open for a panic attack to walk in.

It was triggered by an intrusive thought. "What if I had a heart attack, and my daughter was killed in an accident?"

That would be enough to send anyone off. But...

The thoughts never come true, they are just scared manifestations of a stressed out brain. And you panicked because there was a perceived threat.

DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP FOR THIS. It could happen to anyone. It happened to me many times.

Accept that it happens.

Now you know how its triggered, when you have an intrusive thought again, you can begin to handle it differently.

They are just fearful thoughts. We can choose not to react to them (with practise!) and we can replace them with positive thoughts, and eventually the fearful thoughts subside.

For now, try and relax, because its been a stressful day.

Alexldn89
27-01-17, 19:09
Thank you for that !!

I just seem unable to shake it today, it's lke no matter what I do or take I still feel overly stressed out like I'm on the verge of an attack constantly!

I hate this feeling! I feel so crappy and it's such a lonely feeling