PDA

View Full Version : On my own this weekend causing panic

Panic sufferer
28-01-17, 10:47
Hi all,

I'm housesitting this weekend on my own. It's the first time I've been completely on my own in a house for an extended period of time for years & I know it will provoke panic attacks. This is because when I had my first panic attack I was on my own in the house and my mind seems to make the association.

I have decided - no avoidance measures this time. In the past I've always got a friend round to stay, or gone out in the evening to distract myself. This time I'm going to allow the panic attacks to happen, and learn to cope with being on my own.

I feel like it might be a long two days! Any help and advice much appreciated.

ana
28-01-17, 12:29
Hi there,
I also have a fear of being on my own,and it causes me to have panic attacks. I understand what you mean about making an association with a place you've panicked at before. Whilst I do think that allowing yourself to panic so as to prove a point (i.e. that nothing bad is going to happen to you if you panic),I would also advise you to not push yourself too hard as you might end up causing yourself trauma.
In other words,instead of looking back at the experience and thinking of it as that time you housesat on your own and felt fine and brave,you'll think of it as that time you were on your own in the house and felt terrible panic.
Perhaps it would be better to give yourself the option of ringing a friend or distracting yourself in case you really feel badly.

Panic sufferer
28-01-17, 13:57
Hi Ana,

I know what you mean, my original post probably made it look as if I'm sitting here in grim determination to cope etc etc. It isn't that, it's more that I'm planning to go about the day as if everything's normal, then if there's a panic attack, letting it happen rather than avoiding it.

I've not cut myself off and have plans to phone a couple of friends this evening for a chat. The day is going alright so far, and I have listened to a couple of online meditations which relaxed me.

Bigboyuk
28-01-17, 14:27
Hi all,

I'm housesitting this weekend on my own. It's the first time I've been completely on my own in a house for an extended period of time for years & I know it will provoke panic attacks. This is because when I had my first panic attack I was on my own in the house and my mind seems to make the association.

I have decided - no avoidance measures this time. In the past I've always got a friend round to stay, or gone out in the evening to distract myself. This time I'm going to allow the panic attacks to happen, and learn to cope with being on my own.

I feel like it might be a long two days! Any help and advice much appreciated. Hi Panic Sufferer I know this feeling too and while I am not house sitting I am in my house all alone a bit of me time is ok, but when it's most week end staring at the 4 walls it drives me crazy and is soul destroying to say the least So I personaly would not stay in if you have alternatives so wish you luck but I wouldn't put my self though it if there was other plans :)

Carnation
28-01-17, 19:21
I am monophobic, so I know how difficult it is.

I had to spend a whole day on my own, which is milestone for me, but I got through it with the aid of meditation, phoning friends, coming on the forum and writing note on how I was feeling/coping as I went through the day.
Line up things to do, so you have them to occupy your mind, if you need them.

Bigboyuk
28-01-17, 20:33

I had to spend a whole day on my own, which is milestone for me, but I got through it with the aid of meditation, phoning friends, coming on the forum and writing note on how I was feeling/coping as I went through the day.
Line up things to do, so you have them to occupy your mind, if you need them. Glad I am not alone on this I have to do it most weeks sadly I get through it but it's hell some times! Cheers

Panic sufferer
28-01-17, 20:44

Line up things to do, so you have them to occupy your mind, if you need them.

Thanks Carnation! It's like you read my mind: that's exactly what I am doing, been watching a DVD, phoned a friend, am on here, and listened to meditation tapes on YouTube. The most unnerving thing is hearing a house that usually has life and noise in it lie silent. It's the house where I live, just it's unusual for both parents to be away.

I like the idea of keeping a diary as the day goes on too. Thanks for all who have posted on this thread, it's been a great help to me, thank you.

ana
28-01-17, 21:42
Oh I see! Well in that case,I'm sure you'll be ok. It's good to hear that you're already doing well. Well done ☺

Panic sufferer
29-01-17, 19:19
Thanks Ana,

today has been slightly harder than yesterday, the afternoon dragged a bit, but generally I feel OK. Last night I even slept for 7 hours, after a fortnight's worth of insomnia or broken sleep!

Mindfulness meditation has helped, and being on here too. Thanks to everyone who's posted on this thread, I appreciate it.

Dan43
01-02-17, 02:51
yes i like your go it alone approach, one thing ive learned in my 23 years of panic attacks is that at the ned of the day its just you and your own body so theres no escaping it. The sooner you learn to accept and live with yourself and your problems the better, no rush! just make sure you try that. the reward when you confront your fear is enlightenment. you will learn somthing, probably somthing about yourself. Beleive in your own bright ideas and you will learn to cope. Good luck.

clatho4415
06-02-17, 08:09
I can definitely relate to this panic, when my husband goes away I won't cook or have the heating on because I get scared. I do things like take my hair straightners/iron with me to work so I know they're off!

But the last couple of times he's been away I've developed some coping methods that may sound silly but they help. One is taking pictures on my phone so I usually panic about locking the door so I film myself and then I know I have evidence that the door is locked. I also turned my negative of not wanting to cook into a positive and got myself a really nice take away and tried to pamper myself. Sounds silly but both really calmed me down.

Bigboyuk
06-02-17, 09:44
I can definitely relate to this panic, when my husband goes away I won't cook or have the heating on because I get scared. I do things like take my hair straightners/iron with me to work so I know they're off!

But the last couple of times he's been away I've developed some coping methods that may sound silly but they help. One is taking pictures on my phone so I usually panic about locking the door so I film myself and then I know I have evidence that the door is locked. I also turned my negative of not wanting to cook into a positive and got myself a really nice take away and tried to pamper myself. Sounds silly but both really calmed me down. While I don't panic on my own it gets so damn lonely ): But hey those are good ideas Briiliant and actually rather than taking in your hair straightners and iron in to work just unplug them and take a pic of each to reassure you they aren't plugged in. Good thinking on your part well done :)