PDA

View Full Version : Seems I'm still not Superwoman.

Vanda
29-01-17, 13:44
Hello everyone,
I've stumbled upon this corner of cyberspace while googling amitriptyline. It's a new medication for me because now on top of many, many years managing depression and anxiety, it seems I now have fibromyalgia on top as a special treat. This coupled with being peri menopausal has made my days difficult, to say the least.
I've been on a variety of meds to a greater or lesser extent for a long time and have had long periods where life has been quite together and I've been 'drug free'. And during these times I've convinced myself that I'm 'superwoman' again and can be fabulously successful at everything I touch. I'm not. Life teaches me the same lesson time and time again and I am just not getting it!

Anxiety is more of a difficulty for me than depression. Night time panic attacks and inability to stay asleep make nights a real challenge. And now my body is letting me down as well and I'm prone to feeling despair as to what the future holds. So I try to 'stay in the moment'. I'm a long time spiritual seeker and I now view myself as a practicing Buddhist. I've meditated for years and mindfulness is a lifeline to me. After much soul searching I've had to go back on meds (fluoxetine, diazepam, zopiclone, amitriptyline in various combinations). I've reconciled myself to the thought that medication is an act of self compassion at this time and not an emblem of failure.

In addition to my own difficulties, I have an adult son living with me who is on the autism spectrum. He has tremendous problems with his mental health, especially anxiety. I have felt very entangled in his wellbeing for my own and have undergone psychotherapy to help me unravel things.

And the final thing to share here is that I have worked with adults who have severe/enduring mental health problems for many years. Currently I work for floating support services dealing with homelessness primarily.

I've probably shared enough now (hopefully not too much). I'm looking forward to sharing this space with you all.
Metta :bighug1:

swgrl09
29-01-17, 13:50
Welcome! I work in the mental health field and have done a lot of homeless outreach in the past as well. It's really frustrating sometimes - I beat myself up over having anxiety and depression despite working in the field and helping others recover.

Can't imagine the stress you must be under with working, caring for your son, and your own needs. I hope you find some support here. I know I have.

venusbluejeans
Hiya Vanda and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

venusbluejeans
Hiya Vanda and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Catherine S
29-01-17, 16:50
Swgrl, it makes sense to have a person who has experienced mental health issues helping others. As mentioned in another thread, I ended up as a volunteer with MIND after withdrawl from tranquilisers like Valium, Ativan and Tranxene etc, and I helped with this particular problem because I knew exactly what others were going through. Never feel inadequate because you have your own issues.

Oh, and welcome Vanda :)

ISB x

swgrl09
29-01-17, 17:16
You are right, ISB, thank you for your comment. It's always easier to see strengths in others than in ourselves. :hugs: