PDA

View Full Version : blood pressure

insideout20
29-01-17, 16:41
earlier today I was feeling really weird as though I could just pass out so I checked my BP reading and it was 160/100 this scared me and I checked again and it was 160/ 107 the 107 part really really scared me. I started to shake after 10 mins it was 140/90 now it's back down at 120/80 roughly

I had a BP and heart 24 hour monitor a few months ago and everything was fine but the 107 diastolic reading scared me can it really get that high and still be safe during a.panic attack ?

Fishmanpa
29-01-17, 20:11
That's a perfect example how self checking can escalate a situation. Yep, that's on the high side but not dangerous unless it was that was all the time. You know why it was high so there's no reason to be concerned.

I suggest you bin the BP monitor (that will fall on deaf ears I'm sure). Unless your doctor wants you to monitor (which I know is not the case), all it's doing is keeping you in the spiral of self checking and making things worse.

Positive thoughts

PanickyGuy
30-01-17, 05:04
earlier today I was feeling really weird as though I could just pass out so I checked my BP reading and it was 160/100 this scared me and I checked again and it was 160/ 107 the 107 part really really scared me. I started to shake after 10 mins it was 140/90 now it's back down at 120/80 roughly

I had a BP and heart 24 hour monitor a few months ago and everything was fine but the 107 diastolic reading scared me can it really get that high and still be safe during a.panic attack ?

Hey you sound like I did when I first started having panic attacks. I said something similar to what you described to my CB therapist. She said to me; "No one has ever died from having a panic attack."

Sounds like that is what your worried about. Yet I can tell you the therapist was spot on with that, because I'm still here, without any heart issues I might add, after having many panic attacks for years. :winks:

And I've seen my BP get as high as 190/120 with a heart rate of 133 during a panic attack. Man I was in high gear while standing still and spinning my wheels and going nowhere. :D Metaphorically speaking.

And those shakes you get...well that happens as your BP drops down from a higher BP. That's your body cooling down from all the fast heart pumping of warmer blood throughout your entire body. It's like a chill effect as the warmer blood, from pumping fast, slows down in your system and brings it back to normal body temperature. Completely normal and expected.

insideout20
30-01-17, 09:10
thanks guys well when I woke this morning it was 130/ 101 which is also very high for just wakening. now it seems to be about 130/95 I'm not anxious it's the bottom number that's quite high

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 ----------

i was reading that you should be seated in a chair with back raised and arm leaning on something, when i did that 5 mins later it was 127/75 so the readings are all over the place

NoraB
30-01-17, 09:16

Honestly, constantly taking your own BP will drive you NUTS!

Sounds like you were having a panic attack and the shaking is from the adrenalin in your body as part of the NORMAL stress response. Your body doesn't know the difference between what's real and what's in your head. I always find it best to go with the shake and do a funky dance. The dog thinks I'm crazy but I feel better sooner.

insideout20
30-01-17, 09:37
i know you are right, it was about 5 months ago i had a 24 hour monitor and it was fine but when i checked it back then the lower number was never over 100, i have lost a stone since then aswell

the reason i worry is because when i checked online it said if the lower number goes to 110 or more emergency care is required, i know mine didnt quite reach 110 but im worried its even up in that region

my anxiety was so much better paqst few weeks up until that weekend, funny thing is i had cut out gluten and started eating it again at the weekend, it prob has nothing to do with that but i am cutting gluten out again to see,.

NoraB
30-01-17, 09:47
i know you are right, it was about 5 months ago i had a 24 hour monitor and it was fine but when i checked it back then the lower number was never over 100, i have lost a stone since then aswell

my anxiety was so much better paqst few weeks up until that weekend, funny thing is i had cut out gluten and started eating it again at the weekend, it prob has nothing to do with that but i am cutting gluten out again to see,.

Firstly, cutting out gluten can make you lose weight. I've lost about 5lbs since cutting it out in December.

Second, I also ate some normal bread in-between and within twenty minutes, I felt sick, exhausted, light-headed, migraine and my heart raced. Was it coincidence that I'd felt better on GF then when I went back to my old stuff I felt sick as pig? I think not.

This case is solved!

Miss Marple's got nowt on me. You're welcome.:yesyes:

insideout20
30-01-17, 09:54
ha ha i guess not, i am staying off it now, i suffered bad baalnce issues and dizziness for about a year, past few weeks it was much better until this weekend, im trying everything not to turn to meds, this is my last shot

i beat this before i can do it again although this time feels so much harder

are you still off gluten now ?