PDA

View Full Version : Starting Sertraline tonight, looking for re-assurance.

Cheeseandbeans
29-01-17, 16:45
Hi all. Not been around on here for quite a while.

Past 18 months have been difficult, bringing me to where I am now, on the brink of starting Sertraline.

At the back end of 2014 I started with panic attacks, completely out of the blue, never experienced them before. Through CBT and the use of Citalopram for the anxiety it caused I felt quite normal again by Feb 2015. I was always spaced out/not with it taking Citalopram and as I was feeling better myself and the GP decided I should taper off them. Unfortunately though and this is a big thing for me at the moment, the spaced out feeling has NEVER gone away. Admittedly some days are worse than other but it is always there. Around March/April 2015 I started getting headaches. Couldn't seem to mange them and painkillers didn't touch them. I was prescribed Amitriptyline but they also didn't help.

Since then I have had appointments with Neurologists, MRI's, CT Scans, EEG, blood tests, all points to the fact I am physically fit.

The symptoms I experience every day are being spaced out/not with (it does sound like DP/DR although nobody has ever said that to me) anxiety because of it, headaches, neck pain, palpitations and more recently pins and needles in my right arm and right leg.

I think I have possibly been too stubborn in the fact anxiety/depression can cause the physical symptoms I am experiencing.

I am really tired of all this now. It's affecting my life, I don't go out or do anywhere near as much as I used to. My wife and kids are affected badly by it and I've been off sick for 3 months. I hope every day I wake up back to normal. My last visit to the GP led to him prescribing 50mg Sertraline on the advice of a counsellor I am seeing.

I am so very nervous about taking these tablets. I've worked myself up for 2 weeks about it but I know this is my last chance to get myself functioning again.

Questions I have are, can anxiety really cause all these physical symptoms I am experiencing? Test results would back up that theory.

Do Anti Depressant help with DP/DR? This is the worst symptom I have and so hard to explain to people!

I just hope I'm strong enough to stick with these tablets.

Wish me luck! :hugs:

Fishmanpa
29-01-17, 21:52
I took Zoloft for depression after my 1st heart attack. Everyone is different in how they react to meds but for me, other than a dodgy tummy, I was fine and it was the crutch I needed until I got my feet back under me with therapy.

Just be aware that your anxiety may spike a bit and it's totally normal. Also be aware that it takes about a month before you start to feel the benefits. For me, I didn't really feel any different but those around me noticed a positive change.

Good going for taking a positive step toward healing. Hang in there, give the meds a chance to work and keep telling yourself that it's normal to feel a little off if you have some side effects. They're not sinister at all and they will pass. Many have benefited so also keep that in mind :)

Positive thoughts

Jebdog
29-01-17, 22:16
I'd get them started.

I'd also add that these are not a last chance, but rather a chance. You've plenty of other options and lifestyle choices you can make to benefit you in the long run.

crystal17
31-01-17, 22:45
Yes Sertraline is very good, I'd recommend.