PDA

View Full Version : She wants to refer me to a specalist, great.

Mav
30-01-17, 18:30
I have had a swollen node in my neck for 6 weeks now atleast.

I got my reports for my chest X-ray and blood test today, and all clear.

But the doctor felt it again and said she wants to refer me to a specalist only because it hasn't gone, she said she isn't too concerned because its rubbery and moveable and feels reactive and would be more worried if multiple nodes popped up or it grew in size.

I'm upset that she still wants to refer me, it's like it never ends. I'm scared the specalist will biopsy it and find something horendously wrong with me. :weep:

While I was there I filled in some forums for my anxiety and should hopefully get some counselling soon so I guess that is good news.

Fishmanpa
30-01-17, 18:34
Well, you know why it hasn't gone... Can you honestly say you've not been poking and prodding the hell out of it? Doing so can keep it the same or make it swell. Doing it too much can make it shotty (permanently swollen). I'm sure all will be well.

Good going for taking the steps you help yourself with you anxiety! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Mav
30-01-17, 18:39
Well, you know why it hasn't gone... Can you honestly say you've not been poking and prodding the hell out of it? Doing so can keep it the same or make it swell. Doing it too much can make it shotty (permanently swollen). I'm sure all will be well.

Good going for taking the steps you help yourself with you anxiety! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

I have poked the hell of it, I've touched it atleast once on my good days and over 10 on my bad days.

I'm a little freaked out by the referal, I thought she would just send me on my way. Have you got any advice to calm down about this? :(

Thankyou, I'm happy I'm going to hopefully get some help soon.

Fishmanpa
30-01-17, 18:50
The fact that she wasn't concerned speaks volumes and frankly, she's doing what a good doctor would do and also covering her butt.

Positive thoughts

KeeKee
30-01-17, 18:51
The thing with having health anxiety in my opinion, is that doctors can see we are anxious and sometimes send us for tests for reassurance purposes. They're trying to help ease our worries, but conversely we then become even more worried as we feel 'something must be wrong'.

I've been sent for a blood test for bruises on my legs (I had about 13 and am not a clumsy person), I was already told the issue I was worrying about didn't present in this way but then was told to get a blood test. This, I believe, was for my benefit (although I personally don't worry if the GP had told me there's no need to).

Mav
30-01-17, 19:00
The fact that she wasn't concerned speaks volumes and frankly, she's doing what a good doctor would do and also covering her butt.

Positive thoughts

I guess you're right, its just that a referal doesn't sound like the "norm". Idk, I'm trying not to worry so much because whats the point? it's not like I can change anything, the referal will still happen whether I worry about it for days or not.

Fishmanpa
30-01-17, 19:06
I guess you're right, its just that a referal doesn't sound like the "norm".

I had a lump in my back causing me a lot of discomfort. Being a cancer survivor, I did have a niggle of concern but the doctor felt it, said it was a lipoma and sent me off for an ultrasound. Guess what? It was a lipoma! I had it removed due to the location and discomfort but the point is, it was normal procedure to have it checked.

Positive thoughts

Ethansmom
30-01-17, 20:08
I have had a lymph node on the side of my neck for the past two years. I was a referred to an ENT and said it was normal and that it may just stick out because my neck is really thin. I spent weeks worrying about it!

Mav
31-01-17, 13:44
I have had a lymph node on the side of my neck for the past two years. I was a referred to an ENT and said it was normal and that it may just stick out because my neck is really thin. I spent weeks worrying about it!

This makes me feel a bit better :)

I'm just trying to focus on my exams and do my prayers and completely put this at the back of my mind until I have to physically go to the specalist next week or something.

SLA
31-01-17, 13:57
I have had a lymph node on the side of my neck for the past two years.

We're born with them aren't we?

:shrug:

MyNameIsTerry
31-01-17, 14:03
We're born with them aren't we?

:shrug:

Yes, you've got between 501-700 of the things. They are essential to us.

SLA
31-01-17, 14:08
Yes, you've got between 501-700 of the things. They are essential to us.

I've just counted mine and I have 701. :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
31-01-17, 14:10
I have poked the hell of it, I've touched it atleast once on my good days and over 10 on my bad days.

I'm a little freaked out by the referal, I thought she would just send me on my way. Have you got any advice to calm down about this? :(

Thankyou, I'm happy I'm going to hopefully get some help soon.

If it "wasn't a normal referral" it would be am urgent one. The GP said they are not concerned therefore it will be a non urgent one. Then even GP's sometimes use the urgent referral to close an issue more quickly.

So, if the GP isn't concerned, they expect to find nothing. This sounds like a double check to me, nothing more.

Your GP wanted to check because it hasn't gone down but did you tell them you have been poking & prodding get It a lot? I'm wondering whether they are sending you fit a referral when that could answer their question?

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

I've just counted mine and I have 701. :weep:

Trust you to be awkward!

Hang on, have you started on those cans of cider yet...? :biggrin: