PDA

View Full Version : Who else gets really bad anxiety while shopping?

YoungHon
30-01-17, 20:47
Whenever I'm in a shop I feel really out of place and self-conscious, like I shouldn't be there (I don't know why) and I feel like I'm doing something wrong and that everyone is staring at me and judging me and that I come across as being weird.

up a ladder
30-01-17, 22:55
Not now, but I used to. If I was ever in a Q I would usually place my goods on a convenient shelf and run out.
I was worried because I sweat alot and believed everyone could see my Rockn' roll shaking. It really was a case of immersion for me. I did not even notice when it all came together.
If you want a slow method. Start with a friend keeping with you. Then have your friend follow you from about 10ft (not as hard as it sounds). Then try with the friend a fair way away. After that try on your own. Just remember that if any event fails just try again. Dont force yourself.

SLA
30-01-17, 23:00
Ultimately what it is, is that you were in an anxious state when you went shopping...

...something felt "wrong" at the time, so your brain thought...

everyone is staring at me and judging me

...but thats not reality.

People, in general, don't care too much.

Some people look, and some people judge... but... **** em.

AntsyVee
31-01-17, 03:54
I get nervous shopping when there are a lot of people. I hate crowds. Disneyland is like my worst nightmare. I start hurrying cause I'm annoyed because people are there, then that annoys me because I like to take my time picking out what I want. Then as I hurry, I'm trying not to forget everything. Then it just sort of spirals from there until I'm an annoyed, angry, nervous mess. Lol. Oh, and don't get me started when sales people follow me around the store...

NoraB
31-01-17, 08:23
My anxiety usually peaks when I'm at the tills looking at the total to pay..:ohmy:

There was a time when I couldn't go into a shop without feeling ill but those were the days before online shopping and I had a family to feed so I had to get over it. I still don't feel comfortable shopping but I've adapted ways to make it as easy on myself as is possible, like doing it early before the crowds. I've been known to be shopping at midnight when I worked shifts and that suited me down to the ground..

I do use online shopping now but that started one summer holiday when my autistic son all but trashed the supermarket and I swore NEVER AGAIN!:scared15:

I HATE busy towns and if I'm forced into that situation, I have to walk down the side, almost falling into shop windows and I want to vomit EVERY TIME I walk past the migraine inducing Lush. How can people work in there and not slip into a coma?

They also like pies round our way and Greggs is opposite Lush. People sit and eat PASTIES at 9.30 in the morning!!!

Pasty and Lush? Sounds like a crime fighting duo!:roflmao:

AntsyVee
31-01-17, 22:55
What is Lush in the U.K.? Here it's a soaps and body supply store.

MyNameIsTerry
31-01-17, 23:01
What is Lush in the U.K.? Here it's a soaps and body supply store.

Same here.

It blows my head just getting within 50 feet of the place. God knows how they work in there, it must be something in the female genes? :winks:

AntsyVee
01-02-17, 00:52
Same here.

It blows my head just getting within 50 feet of the place. God knows how they work in there, it must be something in the female genes? :winks:

:doh: yeah, blame us. I see just as many men in there as women. :p

Butterfly1980
04-02-17, 13:07
Hi Everyone

Yes i get anxiety bad when shopping lately, i never use to. It freaks me out and there is times when its been so bad ive had to walk away, its like i just can't cope. Its a horrible thing to experience.

Shazamataz
19-02-17, 08:06
Here in NZ Lush is a soap shop and it stinks! I'm not a fan of overpowering perfumy smells and do my best to avoid the cleaning isle at the supermarket.

I've had many years of off and on anxiety with shopping. Have had times where every visit would involve a panic attack and other times where I'm fine. Recently have been fine but after a really bad anxiety spell I just forced myself almost every day to go to the supermarket or another big store. I still don't enjoy huge/busy places but can manage them if needed. Really all you can do is perservere.

Good luck!

Panicer
19-02-17, 11:26
Hi all

I too get this problem but am trying my best to overcome it by forcing myself to go to large supermarkets even when I don't want to. One thing I've tried recently is... research says about 1 in 4 people will suffer from some sort of mental health problem at some point in their lives. So I people watch whilst shopping and wonder who else is struggling round having a nightmare like me? Statistically several of the people in a large shop should be struggling too and you know what I never spot them, so I'm guessing no one has spotted me either :D