PDA

View Full Version : How to not spiral when you ARE sick

DoraFlora
30-01-17, 21:07
Hi all,

A week ago I finished a round of broad spectrum antibiotics for a persistent infection.

Then, a few days ago, I began to get awful loose stools and a fever.
My immediate and visceral fear was that it was C. Difficile. I went to the urgent care centre near my home and gave a stool sample which will take about 2 days to come back. (They have to grow the culture). But the doctor gave me an antibiotic in the meantime because if it IS C. Diff it can be a not great idea to wait on treatment.

So now I am at home nursing myself and feeling just awful.

I am terrified of the antibiotics I am on. I am terrified if it IS C Diff I could be in danger. Basically I am afraid of everything.

So I know with a lot of health anxiety we take a sensation and we run with it. A headache equals a brain tumor. Or a backache equals kidney failure.
But this is really difficult for me right now because I am actually sick! (be it a virus or something else)

So any tips on how to keep myself calm or how to believe that I am going to be ok?

I wish we didn't have to seek outside assurance and I try to self soothe often, but this just feels like an icky and scary thing to maybe be up against.

-Dora

Sphincterclench
30-01-17, 21:39
I can tell you 100 things to do...knit a scarf, binge watch some tv show, take up underwater basket weaving... but truth is I would be the same nervous nelly that you are and I wouldnt take any advice on what to do to stop it.

-sorry I cant be more help...take it easy on yourself.