PDA

View Full Version : Muscles Feeling Weird

Chosen
31-01-17, 05:23
So recently, I pulled a muscle in my calf from running and it has hurt a little bit here and there, mostly hurting after practice. But I am taking time off now for it to heal.

Well, about a day or 2 after I injured it, I noticed my muscles beginning to get weak sort of. It's a hard feeling to explain, but it's just like they are a bit slow and sore like after a work out. So, this being said, of course I've looked up a ton of diseases online, and found that like 50 different ones have muscle weakness or muscle tiredness, more appropriately, as a symptom.

Most concerning to me is compartment syndrome. However, it does say that with that, the pain would be unbearable and would force me to stop running during my workout. I can safely say, it was most intense AFTER workouts and even then, on a scale from 1-10, it was like a 3 or 4. It was more aching.

I am stumped. I have no clue what the problem is and quite frankly don't want to spend hours looking around on the internet. If anyone knows what causes both arms and both legs to feel kind of sluggish for what is getting close to a week now, I would appreciate it. Hopefully it isn't anything too serious. It's making me worry a bit though.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

I should also mention that the day that I injured it, or the day after (I can't remember), we did a pretty intense workout involving push ups and squats and some other leg work.

I don't know if that would cause my muscles to be sore for a prolonged period of time than normal or not.

Serphenia
31-01-17, 09:38
Unless you're in agony and the muscles so weak you can't walk then its simply just a pulled muscle.

Then can take forever to heal. It's normal for the muscles to be feeling weaker and less strong than before, while its healing.

I've pulled my calf muscles before. It really does take a long time for it to fully heal. Some days it might feel back to normal and then other days it will start feeling sore again.

Gary A
31-01-17, 09:40
So recently, I pulled a muscle in my calf from running and it has hurt a little bit here and there, mostly hurting after practice. But I am taking time off now for it to heal.

Well, about a day or 2 after I injured it, I noticed my muscles beginning to get weak sort of. It's a hard feeling to explain, but it's just like they are a bit slow and sore like after a work out. So, this being said, of course I've looked up a ton of diseases online, and found that like 50 different ones have muscle weakness or muscle tiredness, more appropriately, as a symptom.

Most concerning to me is compartment syndrome. However, it does say that with that, the pain would be unbearable and would force me to stop running during my workout. I can safely say, it was most intense AFTER workouts and even then, on a scale from 1-10, it was like a 3 or 4. It was more aching.

I am stumped. I have no clue what the problem is and quite frankly don't want to spend hours looking around on the internet. If anyone knows what causes both arms and both legs to feel kind of sluggish for what is getting close to a week now, I would appreciate it. Hopefully it isn't anything too serious. It's making me worry a bit though.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

I should also mention that the day that I injured it, or the day after (I can't remember), we did a pretty intense workout involving push ups and squats and some other leg work.

I don't know if that would cause my muscles to be sore for a prolonged period of time than normal or not.

Muscle weakness associated with degenerative disease is a constant symptom. It wouldn't just come on after intense work outs. Think logically here. Wouldn't an illness that presented with muscle weakness be more likely to affect you during these workouts, rather than afterwards?

Just try to warm up properly before excersise and ensure your diet is sufficient to maintain healthy muscles if you're increasing their workload.

SLA
31-01-17, 09:52

Of course it would.

Doesn't that seem a million times more likely than compartment syndrome, whatever the hell that is? :D

Elen
31-01-17, 09:58
I bet you are walking ever so slightly differently due to the pulled muscle. Your other muscles will be having to compensate so are getting an extra work out constantly.

Muscles as I am sure you know can take some time to repair so I am afraid that it is a case of bearing with it for now.

Over the counter painkillers can help, as can hot and cold compresses.

Hancock
31-01-17, 15:41
There's a massive difference between real weakness and perceived weakness. If you can do all the things you used to but only feel weird doing them, that's not true weakness. If you cannot do simple things that you could do before, that's true weakness. You're fine.

Chosen
31-01-17, 21:52
Well, I am kinda worried about degenerative diseases like ALS and stuff. Although, I did read that stress and anxiety can lead to feeling like your arms are jelly or something. But the thing is, I can't help but think I have an ad disease and that just causes more stress. Does anyone have any tips for this?

SLA
31-01-17, 22:08
What we "think" is happening and what reality is, are two very different things.

So don't put so much weight and power behind your thoughts. They are just fearful thoughts that we all get, and just having thoughts doesnt make it true.

Relax a bit. Don't take yourself or your thoughts to seriously.

At the end of the day, we're only human, and we are not infallible robots.

You don't have a degenerative disease, so move forward in life with that in mind. There is no evidence to support it.

If you were accused of a crime with no evidence to support it, you'd be shouting and hollering.

Your brain is worrying about diseases without any evidence.... just let it slide.

Chosen
31-01-17, 22:46
Ok well, one last thing and I'll let this go. With previous worried I have found relief in making a "If this happens then" statement. So at what point should I be like "If this happens, I should go to a doctor." It just seems to put worried off for another situation, and usually that situation never occurs.

Hancock
01-02-17, 00:05
If you can't walk up the stairs or can no longer turn your car keys, then you should be worried. Until then, don't sweat it (and the likelihood of you having a degenerative neurological disease is slim to none, so you REALLY shouldnt worry).

The best hypochondriacs are the ones that worry about als, because they literally have NONE of the true, objective symptoms and freak out due to what they *think* the disease does instead of understanding what it really does.

You're fine kiddo.