PDA

View Full Version : Why telling someone with depression: "It's going to get better" is the worst thing!

KarloShen
31-01-17, 16:28
When I was suffering with depression that was caused by my anxieties/panic attacks I can't say that I didn't have any support.

Those who knew what I was suffering from depression told me - "It is going to get better", "Depression is like a cloud it comes and then it goes", "You are just too stressed, you should get some rest and then it will get better.", "Are you sleeping and eating properly? That should help", "Just go to the gym and lift you sadness away" or the most terrible one - "Just stop being sad, go out and have fun!"

I know that all of those people are well meaning and they just want the best for me, but what they don't understand is that this advice just makes me feel worse.

It reassures you that noone really understands you and that you are alone in this. But since you're on this forum, you should already know that you are not alone and there is tons of people like you and me who suffer or have suffered from anxiety or depression.

Why it really is terrible to give out such an advice.

It make you feel even more miserable. Since the very essence of depression is that you don’t want to go out, because it seems just pointless and were not even going to talk about having fun, that sounds totally impossible.

This reminds you that you are depressed and that you are missing out on life because of this condition and with that you become more depressed.

You don’t see the point of going to the gym because it feels like it is not going to help.

Sleeping helps you avoid dealing with your stuff and the more you sleep the less you have to face your depression.

What are the main causes of depression?

I don’t believe that it is a chemical imbalance in your brain and many studies have proved that this isn’t true as well.

I don’t believe the Freud’s theory about childhood trauma or past events causing depression as well.

Many psychiatrists that are in Cognitive Behavioral therapy and me as well, believe that depression is caused by your own thoughts.

Your anxiety/disability/sickness/trauma/financial problems might be what set it in motion, but your thoughts are what keep you there.

So what is helpful advice then and how can you help others and yourself if you’re suffering from depression.

I will give you two exercises that I believe can help a lot, they helped me and I’m sure they will help you or someone that is suffering from depression.

Your thought log.

The main issue that keeps you in your depressive cycle are thoughts that are simply not true.

For example:

I’m worthless.
There is nothing that I can do right.
There is no point in doing anything.
I can’t make my spouse happy.
I will never be able to take care of my family.
*place event here* has ruined my life.
Etc.

These are just from top of my mind, the possibilities are endless.
So the steps.

1. Make two columns on a peace of paper or in an Excell document (that is what I did)
2. Name the first one “Instant thoughts” the second one “Rational reply”
3. In the first one you write the thoughts that pop in your mind, like the ones above.
4. In the second one you write a rational response.

An example:

There is nothing I can do right -> Not true at all. I drove my kids to school today. I can drive a car properly. I cooked a meal today that turned out good. I wrote that report and my boss seemed pleased. I’m not a computer therefore I mess up sometimes, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t do anything right.

Write these logs for every thought that pops in your mind that seems to get you down.

You can even go a step further and add two more columns to your log:

Emotion before rational response and Emotion after rational response.
In the first one you write down what emotion the thought is causing and how strong it is from 0% - 100% 0 being the least and 100 being the strongest. You will find that after you rationally respond to your thought the intensity of your negative emotion will drop.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: You have to believe 100% in what you write in your rational response. You don’t have to think that it is something major or important, but it has to be true.

The second exercise:

I know how hard everyday tasks may seem when you are depressed or anxious. Making a to-do list in most cases don’t help, because the tasks seem too big.

The solution that did wonders for me was making a MICRO task to-do list.
It seemed impossibly hard for me to get out of bed and get into a shower. I started to feel bad about that and it was getting me even more depressed.

Here is how my Micro To do list looked like:

1. Take off the blanket
2. Sit up
3. Stand up
4. Go to the shower
5. Start the water
6. Get in the shower
7. Put shower gel on my sponge
8. Start taking a shower

If I had stopped at any of those points I still had accomplished some of the steps and it didn’t seem so hard to do those MICRO tasks.

Once you get trough the first task of the day, you feel more empowered and have energy and motivation to star to tackle the next one. Do the next one the same way.

It might seem like a lot of work to write down those To-Do lists, but just as I wrote in an other thread, It is better to get done 10% of the things you want to do, than 0%.

Let me know what you think and if you try them out, report back the results. 

Jacsta
31-01-17, 16:36
Firstly. They are very useful exercises so thanks for sharing.

I do however NOT agree with some of your views. You have a right to an opinion, as does everyone else.
Saying "it will get better", or " exercise might help", and so on.....they can all be helpful things to say when said in the right way and right context.
Depression makes people feel alone, isolated and misunderstood. So maybe, on a certain day, it doesn't matter what is said...it will all feel negative and unhelpful.....that is the nature of depression.

There are lots of elements to feeling better, and it isn't one size fits all in making it better.

Some people like a little push to get out there. Others prefer to work through exercises like your to sort themselves out.

Please don't lecture and say what is right and wrong. Everyone has their own journey to travel. Support and understanding is valuable.

Sorry if I offended. It wasn't my intent. Just be careful with how you word your helpful tips pleaee

NoraB
31-01-17, 16:49
Yeah, I have to agree with the previous poster..

I've suffered with depression in the past and I have it alongside the anxiety now but I wouldn't get upset at being told it's going to get better. I want to hear that, to be honest.

It's not a one size fits all. We can only talk of our own experiences and what works for us.

It's difficult for people who have never suffered with depression and anxiety to know what to say. From their point of view, it's hard to watch their loved one suffer but is it worse for them to say something to show they care or nothing for fear of upsetting that person?

My Dad wasn't one for words but no matter what, he always said "Everything will be alright" and that's what he'd say to me now if he was still here.

Catherine S
31-01-17, 16:57
Have to agree with jac and Nora. If you're feeling vulnerable for whatever reason, hearing those words of comfort "it will get better" must surely help with recovery.

However, you have listed some good tips too.

ISB ☺

KarloShen
31-01-17, 17:01
Yeah, I have to agree with the previous poster..

I've suffered with depression in the past and I have it alongside the anxiety now but I wouldn't get upset at being told it's going to get better. I want to hear that, to be honest.

It's not a one size fits all. We can only talk of our own experiences and what works for us.

It's difficult for people who have never suffered with depression and anxiety to know what to say. From their point of view, it's hard to watch their loved one suffer but is it worse for them to say something to show they care or nothing for fear of upsetting that person?

My Dad wasn't one for words but no matter what, he always said "Everything will be alright" and that's what he'd say to me now if he was still here.

Firstly. They are very useful exercises so thanks for sharing.

I do however NOT agree with some of your views. You have a right to an opinion, as does everyone else.
Saying "it will get better", or " exercise might help", and so on.....they can all be helpful things to say when said in the right way and right context.
Depression makes people feel alone, isolated and misunderstood. So maybe, on a certain day, it doesn't matter what is said...it will all feel negative and unhelpful.....that is the nature of depression.

There are lots of elements to feeling better, and it isn't one size fits all in making it better.

Some people like a little push to get out there. Others prefer to work through exercises like your to sort themselves out.

Please don't lecture and say what is right and wrong. Everyone has their own journey to travel. Support and understanding is valuable.

Sorry if I offended. It wasn't my intent. Just be careful with how you word your helpful tips pleaee

You're absolutely right and I can't disagree with the fact that one approach doesn't fit for everyone.

I do speak more from my experience and from what I've heard from others that I've talked with.

I will take your replies into future consideration when posting replies. :)

I'm glad that you liked the exercises.

P.S. No offense taken, it is always great to hear other perspectives and I never try to sound like all knowing, because I don't think so.

KeeKee
31-01-17, 17:24
I personally don't find people telling me it'll get better helpful. Although admittedly it means more when those who have been through it are saying it or a GP. I don't find it detrimental though I am indifferent to it. It's one of those things you say when you don't know what to say in my opinion.

The worst thing somebody can say in my opinion, is "Get a grip", followed by similar things such as "You're being pathetic" and so on.

As for the best, I just need somebody to be non judgemental. Perhaps give me advice but do not be offended when I do not agree or take it. We are all different individuals as you all say. What works for one may not work for the other. As some on here would put it "A kick up the arse" may work for some, but definitely not for me. Speaking to people in similar situations can also help too, because 2 depressed people don't necessarily feel the same way or have the same ways to cope. I couldn't really comfort somebody bereaving, as I have no experience of it (thankfully), as an example. Likewise somebody who isn't a Mother (or a father if they are the main carer) couldn't understand some of the difficulties I face as a parent myself.

Elen
31-01-17, 17:33
sorry your link is against the rules of the site.

If you wish to advertise please contact nomorepanic who can tell you what we allow and how much it will cost.

MyNameIsTerry
31-01-17, 22:53
sorry your link is against the rules of the site.

If you wish to advertise please contact nomorepanic who can tell you what we allow and how much it will cost.

Elen,

Does this still include an ethical decision? I really wouldn't like to see scammers on here. People see this place as authoritative, in my opinion, and just writing "we do not endorse" won't negate that.