PDA

View Full Version : Numbness is my biggest trigger!?

Petesy
31-01-17, 18:19
Hi everyone

I've been getting a feeling of partial numbness on the left side of my face.. And this triggering a lot of panic attacks and agitation I'm automatically thinking stroke because of my anxiety disorder, but my gp says it to do with muscles tensing up in our face and this sets array of false signals including numbness in face, hands, arms, etc...

This symptom freaks me out the most because a friend took a stroke in front of me and i caught him before he hit the ground.... Just to clarify he's alive and well now..

What symptom would you say is triggering you into a panic attack??

insideout20
31-01-17, 22:15
hi

I have had numbness on my left leg for 2 years. I also get intense pins and needles in my stomach and my face aswell. usually when I'm having a panic attack but also when I'm not

the worst for me is my breathing, my chest goes tight and I feel like I can't breath. I worry about ms with the tingling but like you and worrying about a stroke it's much more likely to be anxiety

Petesy
01-02-17, 02:42
hi

I have had numbness on my left leg for 2 years. I also get intense pins and needles in my stomach and my face aswell. usually when I'm having a panic attack but also when I'm not

the worst for me is my breathing, my chest goes tight and I feel like I can't breath. I worry about ms with the tingling but like you and worrying about a stroke it's much more likely to be anxiety

I'm sorry you've been through it aswell it's horrible.. My fiancee has MS and she is the one reassuring me SO POSITIVE.. When anxiety takes positivity away at times..

I've had all the symptoms you describe also unpleasant but seems to be my trigger now.

Thanks for your reply Inside-out

Take care.

insideout20
01-02-17, 12:25
thats ok and sorry to hear your partner has it, how did she know ? WHAT WAS DIFFERENT ABOUT HER SYMPTOMS THAN YOURS ?

georgewing
01-02-17, 13:08
Well i think this its anxiety fears and not a vascular accident .If you was one something bad was hapen to you

Petesy
02-02-17, 20:42
thats ok and sorry to hear your partner has it, how did she know ? WHAT WAS DIFFERENT ABOUT HER SYMPTOMS THAN YOURS ?

Thank you... That's the thing the symptoms are so similar to anxiety symptoms it's quite frightening when i say "oh i feel like this or that" and my partner says "that's the way i feel with my MS! "

She's even came into the gp's with me and asked my GP have you done any investigation too see if it's just anxiety? and the gp's answer was if i had a resting tremor and the numbness didn't subside then further investigation would be pushed forward... Tbh I'd love it if they gave me an MRI for closure had everything else..

Fishmanpa
02-02-17, 21:13
I have numbness from nerve damage due to surgeries and cancer treatment. I mean I can cut myself shaving and not even know it. True complete stick me with a pin and I won't feel it numbness. The neuropathy in my feet and it's very close to total numbness. I've stubbed my toe and I barely felt a thing but the reality is that I tore off a toe nail and my foot turned all sorts of pretty colors.

Is this the kind of numbness you're dealing with? You say it's the "feeling" of numbness but is it truly clinical numbness?

Just curious

Positive thoughts

Ditapage
04-02-17, 03:14
I had right sided "numbness" in my face for a long time. Once I obsessed about it it became a full blown monster.

I have it now just writing about it!!!

It triggered some intense panic attacks for me, I completely relate to you saying this feeling triggers panic and makes you think it's a stroke. But it is NOT true numbness.

You're lucky your doctor gave you explanation. I went insane. I saw lots of doctors and eventually had a CT scan.

personally I think you anticipate it and it's there. You're looking for it and so was I. Once I stopped fixating on it, it went away. I believe it's linked to tight jaw muscles from stress/anxiety.

A story: I started seeing a therapist the same time I started feeling the numbness and was always poking, prodding, stretching my mouth, and it always felt like there was a piece of tape or something on my face. My therapist poked, prodded her cheek for a minute then said she now feels very aware of her cheek, too, if that helps.

I do think anxiety causes us to look for what feels weird and odd.

Scooter86
13-02-17, 12:45
I'm dealing with tingling on my right cheek and jaw right now. I noticed it the most after I went out with some friends one night and had two drinks. I woke up early the next morning and it was tingly which freaked me way out. My first reaction was that the alcohol did something to my system. Since then, I've had it whenever I have a drink, I feel it the most next morning.

But that's the tough thing with anxiety, you obsess over something that makes you worry and so you feel the same symptoms when you do the same routine again. I'm trying to not let the tingling bother me when I want to grab a drink with dinner or after a long week with friends. You can't let your fears ruin your life. Easier said than done I know, believe me if you wanted to talk to my partner you would get an idea of how vulnerable I am sometimes haha.

It still scares me but we always fear something new. Does anyone have any good techniques to use when the anxiety levels get higher? I'm a fan of mindfulness meditation. I downloaded an app called Calm which I really like. What other techniques can we use?

Petesy
15-02-17, 13:00
I have numbness from nerve damage due to surgeries and cancer treatment. I mean I can cut myself shaving and not even know it. True complete stick me with a pin and I won't feel it numbness. The neuropathy in my feet and it's very close to total numbness. I've stubbed my toe and I barely felt a thing but the reality is that I tore off a toe nail and my foot turned all sorts of pretty colors.

Is this the kind of numbness you're dealing with? You say it's the "feeling" of numbness but is it truly clinical numbness?

Just curious

Positive thoughts

Thanks for your reply fishmanpa

I'm sorry too hear that it's left you with this symptom because it's a very unpleasant one for myself (my biggest trigger) , i have a friend who has numbness due to being stabbed on the foot nerve endings and tendons.. He's on gabapentin for this.

I've spoken to my doctor about it and they say anxiety.. But it's getting to the stage were I'm wanting an investigation for my own sanity..

The feeling of numbness I'd say FP but their has been instances were i have used a pin to make sure and i couldn't feel at certain points along my chin as if it was forming in a patched formation which sky rocketed me into a world of fear!

Here's the thing aswell I've witnessed a stroke, my neighbour asked me if i wanted a cuppa and when he asked me if i took sugar BANG! His face just drooped on the right hand side as he was collapsing i managed to catch him before he smashed his head on the floor and sit him up.. Called an ambulance and got help.. He died during surgery and was brought back to life.. Returned home a 2 weeks later with bruises on his chest with defibrillators.

So after seeing that and even reminiscent... When that symptom creeps up on me I'm like OH SHIT MODE!

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

I had right sided "numbness" in my face for a long time. Once I obsessed about it it became a full blown monster.

It triggered some intense panic attacks for me, I completely relate to you saying this feeling triggers panic and makes you think it's a stroke. But it is NOT true numbness.

You're lucky your doctor gave you explanation. I went insane. I saw lots of doctors and eventually had a CT scan.

personally I think you anticipate it and it's there. You're looking for it and so was I. Once I stopped fixating on it, it went away. I believe it's linked to tight jaw muscles from stress/anxiety.

A story: I started seeing a therapist the same time I started feeling the numbness and was always poking, prodding, stretching my mouth, and it always felt like there was a piece of tape or something on my face. My therapist poked, prodded her cheek for a minute then said she now feels very aware of her cheek, too, if that helps.

Thank you Ditapage

Well that's exactly what I'm going through but I've not been tested for anything yet it's one of the more predominant symptoms mines is left-sided, i hear what you're saying and yeah it does comfort me knowing I'm not losing my mind.

I do the same check in mirrors, stretch my mouth, massage my face etc..

Maybe i need too come straight out and ask my GP for a CT scan and get it resolved once and for all.

Thanks again.

Wilburis
15-02-17, 19:08
I really feel for you.

Im going through a "tingly" phase.

My GP said my CT was clear, so no MS.

But on another MS forum, many people have said a CT showed nothing and an MRI showed legions.

Im going crazy....

Petesy
15-02-17, 23:33

Try Michael Sealey on YouTube his stuff is great.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

I really feel for you.

Im going through a "tingly" phase.

My GP said my CT was clear, so no MS.

But on another MS forum, many people have said a CT showed nothing and an MRI showed legions.

Im going crazy....

Lizzie the neuros took one look at my fiancee's face and knew she had ms just the slightest little thing got her moved to the neuro ward she's on NMP to help others with fears of Ms she'll put your mind at rest.

I'm going through the ringer with it all right now numbness, tingling, had chest pain also today and was afraid because of all this but don't know if it's because my anxiety is heightened by it all.

I'll get my partner to pm you. It'll probably be tomorrow she's asleep right now.. But believe me you'd know if you had it from what I've seen anyway a whole array of symptoms accompanied by others and others yet she remains more positive than me.... Anxiety eh!!

Take care :)

Wilburis
22-03-17, 11:50
Hi

I just wondered how you are?

Are you feeling any better?

xx

Hi, if it's OK could you ask your fiance to PM me please? xx

BazB44
22-03-17, 16:32
years ago I thought I had MS. I feared like crazy until I realized that MS is not the death sentence that many people think it is. There are plenty of people who have MS yet live normal lives. Especially with good diet and all that, it seems to keep it at bay. Look up Dr Terry Wahls, she had a bad case of MS yet reversed it with diet.

and oh ya, I get numbness and pains in my legs often.