PDA

View Full Version : What the hell issue wrong with me......

ella32
31-01-17, 19:00
I'm completely at a loss as to why I can't accept that physically my heart has been given the all clear especially after the amount of testing I've had done in regards to it. Yet still im sit here terrified because of chest pains or weird feelings I get in chest and heart area. I'm doing everything my mental health doctor has told me do. I'm on meds I'm going to counselling yet I'm still thinking I'm having a bloody heart attack all the time or I think the tests and the doctors have missed something. I don't know what to do.

Elen
31-01-17, 19:07
Have you asked your therapist what to do? If so what did they say?

Sphincterclench
31-01-17, 19:18
A lot of us have a hard time accepting test results, thats what therapy is for. I hope to start mine in Feb.

ella32
31-01-17, 19:42
Have you asked your therapist what to do? If so what did they say?

She told me to keep telling myself that the pain isn't heart related but that's very hard to do when I'm stuck in this negative mind set and it's always worse case scenario. X

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

A lot of us have a hard time accepting test results, thats what therapy is for. I hope to start mine in Feb.

I'm hoping given a bit of time it will help me to accept this but at the moment I'm just stuck in a repetitive cycle everyday. X

Elen
31-01-17, 19:43
Is that all she tells you Ella, has she not shown you techniques to challenge your thoughts?

There are quite a few resources available on line but they do require work.

lblove
31-01-17, 20:31
My therapist would say that when you are feeling chest pains or something weird tell yourself out loud. Yup, probably a heart attack, I am probably going to have a heart attack right now and drop dead. Or that is probably a blockage, no more french fries. Or saw out loud "I have a heart condition 10 times. Or picture yourself having a heart attack and being rush to the hospital. Any type of exposure to where you are desensitized to it and the images Avoidance makes it bigger and telling yourself its fine its fine just makes the fear grow. I realize this goes against the grain of us HA people. I still have a hard time doing it myself. My fears are cancer, so replace heart attack with cancer above and that's how I am getting through.

Sphincterclench
31-01-17, 20:44
My therapist would say that when you are feeling chest pains or something weird tell yourself out loud. Yup, probably a heart attack, I am probably going to have a heart attack right now and drop dead. Or that is probably a blockage, no more french fries. Or saw out loud "I have a heart condition 10 times. Or picture yourself having a heart attack and being rush to the hospital. Any type of exposure to where you are desensitized to it and the images Avoidance makes it bigger and telling yourself its fine its fine just makes the fear grow. I realize this goes against the grain of us HA people. I still have a hard time doing it myself. My fears are cancer, so replace heart attack with cancer above and that's how I am getting through.

...seriously?!?!? thumbing your nose at god or the health gurus? I havent started CBT yet but if thats on the table thats going to take some work from me, Id fear embracing it would make it that much more real. :scared15: